PDA

View Full Version : “This is not a high-energy team.”

44Magnum
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
As one Major League scout told me BEFORE Wednesday’s game, “This is not a high-energy team.” That’s for certain and it doesn’t lead to a high-energy press box, either. Pass the No-Doz.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

I wonder who on this team could be considered lethargic. Hmmmm?

He got it!
07-03-2008, 09:36 AM
There is a reason that Freel and Hairston stand out so much around their Reds peers. Put Freel and Hairston on another team and they are just another player playing the game the right way. But here we praise their high energy, over aggressive, reckless abandoned style because they are so different from the other 23 players on the roster.

Did you see Jason Bay almost beat out a routine ground ball to shortstop this past series? When arguably your best player is busting it down the line on a routine ground ball to the shortstop, then you have something.

Orodle
07-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe Hairston is just another player on another team playing the right way but Ryan Freel? Hes balls to the wall wherever he plays.

If this team was in first place I think the players would be high energy at the moment. Whos has ever seen a gutter team playing high energy baseball?

He got it!
07-03-2008, 09:46 AM
The Pirates are basically a gutter team and out-hustled the Reds all over the field this past series. I just gave you the Jason Bay example. You think the Pirates are going anywhere this season? Your place in the standings should not affect your ability to run out a groundball.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
you should watch the marlins, sometimes (not always) they are one of the highest energy teams.. heck the rays last year, while in orlando i went to a few games, and they were as high energy as they come..

I went to the yankees series and saw the same thing.. the yankees might play with low energy but you really felt like they were an EMPIRE you were going up against.. while watching the game and during BP, you noticed brandon phillips, volquez, cueto, and cordero doing things and laughing and just having high energy.. while the rest of the team just stood around like "darn my job sucks, when we going fishing again"? It upset me then and the more and more i see it, it upsets me now.. is it a telling sign that the offensive and pitching leaders on this team still seem to want to have fun, while the people playing apathetic baseball are having mediocre, at best in some cases, seasons..?! I think not..

carmack42
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Maybe they ought to get the team to watch the '75 series during the All-Star Break. So they can remember what it was like to play baseball in Cincinnati.

Jr. remembers, but I'd give anyone who's got their hamstring bolted on the benefit of the doubt. What's everyone else's excuse?

Ghosts of 1990
07-03-2008, 12:18 PM
i agree we are too lax, and it comes from Dunn and Griffey..... it won't change until they're both out of here.

CWRed
07-03-2008, 12:38 PM
Patterson's brows are high energy. Isn't that enough?

REDblooded
07-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I agree BIGTIME about the energy of this team, and come to think about it, it's usually the difference between a good team, and a not-so good team. You can think of plenty of teams recently that kinda came out of nowhere with high-energy play. Rally-monkey Angels, Red Sox have been a high-octane team, DBacks and Rockies last season....... so on.

c-ya dunn.

realreds1
07-03-2008, 01:16 PM
I hate to say it, but... can you name one person (manager type) who would tell Ken Griffey, Jr. to get his rear-end in gear? Not just taking him aside and stroking his ego, but a hardcore butt-chewing. I can't think of one who would do it, because my guess is he'd get angry and blow it up in the media.

Ed Otten
07-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I agree BIGTIME about the energy of this team, and come to think about it, it's usually the difference between a good team, and a not-so good team. You can think of plenty of teams recently that kinda came out of nowhere with high-energy play. Rally-monkey Angels, Red Sox have been a high-octane team, DBacks and Rockies last season....... so on.

c-ya dunn.

But have there been teams that didn't win but had "high energy"? That's the test that is needed to suggest the possibility that "high energy" is important.

If your hypothesis is that high energy teams are more successful, and all you do is name high energy teams that were successful, that's an instance of confirmation bias and you haven't really provided evidence that "high energy" is critical.

levydl
07-03-2008, 02:09 PM

c-ya dunn.

I guess the DBacks and Rockies ran out of energy between last season and now? Remember when Bruce first came up and was hitting .600 and knocking the cover off the ball, and everyone was saying how he's bringing such energy to the team? Now that he's fallen back to earth, he must have lost all that energy. Or is it maybe just that when you have a bunch of really good players playing really well and winning that it seems like the team has a lot of "energy?"

bgwilly31
07-03-2008, 02:23 PM
i agree we are too lax, and it comes from Dunn and Griffey..... it won't change until they're both out of here.

DING DING DING> !

We have a winner.

The guy is a freaking HOF. Everybody on the team is going to follow his lead. No matter if he is considered the Team captain or not.

HOW ABOUT SOMEONE ANSWER ME THIS. WHY DoNT THE REDS HAVE A TEAM CAPTAIN LIKE MOST OTHER TEAMS DO????????????????

If the team is low moral or low energy the blame would be put on the team captain.

REDblooded
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I guess the DBacks and Rockies ran out of energy between last season and now? Remember when Bruce first came up and was hitting .600 and knocking the cover off the ball, and everyone was saying how he's bringing such energy to the team? Now that he's fallen back to earth, he must have lost all that energy. Or is it maybe just that when you have a bunch of really good players playing really well and winning that it seems like the team has a lot of "energy?"

Rockies have run into a word that sounds like energy, but isn't the same....... injuries....

levydl
07-03-2008, 02:33 PM
DING DING DING> !

We have a winner.

The guy is a freaking HOF. Everybody on the team is going to follow his lead. No matter if he is considered the Team captain or not.

HOW ABOUT SOMEONE ANSWER ME THIS. WHY DoNT THE REDS HAVE A TEAM CAPTAIN LIKE MOST OTHER TEAMS DO????????????????

If the team is low moral or low energy the blame would be put on the team captain.

I'm pretty sure very few teams have captains. Jeter and Varitek are the only ones I can think of.

levydl
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Rockies have run into a word that sounds like energy, but isn't the same....... injuries....

Right, it has nothing to do with whether they have "energy" or not, it has to do with whether their hitters are mashing and their pitchers are dealing. If you win, you have energy; if you lose, you look sluggish.

dsmith421
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM

Most other teams don't have a captain.

dsmith421
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I wonder who on this team could be considered lethargic. Hmmmm?

Out of curiosity, when Dunn is playing elsewhere next season and the Reds still suck, who will you be blaming for everything?

Nasty_Boy
07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Dumbest Thread Ever!!!!

realreds1
07-03-2008, 04:17 PM
HOW ABOUT SOMEONE ANSWER ME THIS. WHY DoNT THE REDS HAVE A TEAM CAPTAIN LIKE MOST OTHER TEAMS DO???????????????? If the team is low moral or low energy the blame would be put on the team captain.

I believe we traded our last team captain. Doesn't that say something in and of itself? A guy named Casey. Pretty nice guy from what I remember.

bgwilly31
07-03-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty sure very few teams have captains. Jeter and Varitek are the only ones I can think of.

St. louis captain is A.Pujols

Im sure there's lots others you just dont hear about them. Im sure most good teams have them. But dont actually name them.

Right, it has nothing to do with whether they have "energy" or not, it has to do with whether their hitters are mashing and their pitchers are dealing. If you win, you have energy; if you lose, you look sluggish.

Thats completely wrong and narrow headed.

You can absolutely lose with high energy. You can lose for the season but still hussle game in and game out.

Just another incident i remember this season with GRIFFEY.

Encarnarcion hits a game tieing HR in the bottom of the 9th.
When he gets back in the dugout. A few of the young guys looked pumped up and were first in line to greet EE when he got back with high fives.
BP, KEPP and some other were behind them, they look semi pumped up. Guess who was absolutely LAST in line and didnt even get up off the bench until EE came passed him to give him a high five with an expressionless face........

GRIFFEY. Yep thats right.

EE just tied the GAME!!!! Show some enthusiasm! Thats pathetic.

My coach in highschool would have ripped my butt if i did something like that in the dugout.

gedred69
07-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I hate to say it, but... can you name one person (manager type) who would tell Ken Griffey, Jr. to get his rear-end in gear? Not just taking him aside and stroking his ego, but a hardcore butt-chewing. I can't think of one who would do it, because my guess is he'd get angry and blow it up in the media.

Oh so much truth! This team will exhibit no fire until Dunn and Griffey are gone. I just hope they haven't contaminated the young talent too much with their crappy attitudes.

REDblooded
07-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Dumbest Thread Ever!!!!

best addition to any thread.

dougflynn23
07-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I hate to say it, but... can you name one person (manager type) who would tell Ken Griffey, Jr. to get his rear-end in gear? Not just taking him aside and stroking his ego, but a hardcore butt-chewing. I can't think of one who would do it, because my guess is he'd get angry and blow it up in the media. I believe that Jim Leyland or Ozzie Guillen would.

dsmith421
07-04-2008, 06:39 AM
I believe that Jim Leyland or Ozzie Guillen would.

If Leyland or Guillen was the Reds' manager...I'm going to go out on a limb here...we're still talking about a last-place team.

You can't burnish a turd.