PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July menus

Roy Tucker
07-03-2008, 09:06 AM
So... since grills are getting fired up from sea to shining sea, what all are people fixing for the 4th? Post your menu here.

I'm doing:

- beer-boiled brats (haven't figured yet what kind of beer to use)
- roasted red peppers and onions
- corn on the cob (on the grill)
- potato salad (made it last night to let it get good).
- crank up the ice cream maker on the back patio. I think I'm making peach ice cream with big chunks of peach.

And, of course, beer. More than one.

Johnny Footstool
07-03-2008, 10:07 AM
-Olathe-cut ribeye steaks (2" thick)
-Grilled veggies (zucchini, peppers, onions)
-Grilled jalapeno poppers wrapped in bacon
-Bread sticks (grilled, of course)
-Fat Tire

Grilled corn-on-the-cob is awesome, but it takes a long time to do it right.

westofyou
07-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Grilled corn-on-the-cob is awesome, but it takes a long time to do it rightSoak it in water for a few hours to expedite the steaming process.

Johnny Footstool
07-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Soak it in water for a few hours to expedite the steaming process.

A few hours?

I usually boil it for 10 minutes, wrap it in foil with a pat of butter, and then toss in on the top rack of the grill for 20 minutes. And I thought *that* was time-consuming.

westofyou
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
A few hours?

I usually boil it for 10 minutes, wrap it in foil with a pat of butter, and then toss in on the top rack of the grill for 20 minutes. And I thought *that* was time-consuming.

Big Bowl and drop the corn still in the husks in the bowl.

Go about your life, start the grill and then put the wet corn on the grill still in the husks. They steam right then.

Takes minimal effort and no foil no boiling... just grilling

Johnny Footstool
07-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Go about your life, start the grill and then put the wet corn on the grill still in the husks. They steam right then.

Yeah, but it also requires pre-planning, which is hit-or-miss for me. I'll get everything else ready, and then as I'm lighting the grill, "Oh crap, the corn is still in the 'fridge."

VR
07-03-2008, 11:24 AM

And there you have the perfect sweet corn.

We're having our big get together with friends on Saturday. I'll be doing pulled pork sandwiches with grilled veggies, an assortment of salads and finished with freaky good strawberry shortcake, with real shortbread and whipped cream...(not "whipping cream" out of a can)

The pulled pork recipe is one I stumbled on a few years ago, using pork shoulder and a dry rub of paprika, garlic, dried mustard, brown sugar and kosher salt. mmmmm pork.

Scrap Irony
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
My entire family gets together on the 4th and everyone brings a dish. Usually, the meat is fried fish (crappie), cajun-style or southern. Since, on most years, we break 100 people, you can get pretty much whatever you want.

Roy Tucker
07-03-2008, 11:53 AM
I do corn on the grill either:

- the aforementioned soak it in its husks a while and throw it on the grille.
- or husk it, wrap it in foil (with butter, parmesan cheese, spices), and throw it on the grill.

I can usually handle the planning part. All part of the ceremonial cave man cooking on open fire ritual.

Pulled pork? Mmmmmmm.... Use a smoker? I do. I use a variety of rubs, get the smoker going early (like 7-8 am), throw on about 8-10 lbs of pork shoulder, and smoke away. Usually done by dinner time.

VR
07-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I do corn on the grill either:

- the aforementioned soak it in its husks a while and throw it on the grille.
- or husk it, wrap it in foil (with butter, parmesan cheese, spices), and throw it on the grill.

I can usually handle the planning part. All part of the ceremonial cave man cooking on open fire ritual.

Pulled pork? Mmmmmmm.... Use a smoker? I do. I use a variety of rubs, get the smoker going early (like 7-8 am), throw on about 8-10 lbs of pork shoulder, and smoke away. Usually done by dinner time.

oven @275 for 6 hours. I'm doing 3 - 6 pounders....I'm going to try to 'kick it up a notch with one of them, integrating cayenne and some chili oil.

WVRed
07-03-2008, 02:37 PM
This year, I think we are trying Private Selection(Kroger) Cheese and Bacon stuffed cheeseburgers. From what I have heard, they are better than a Hardee's Thickburger.

BTW, this sounds nasty, but it does taste really good to spread on corn on the cob. Take hot sauce and mayo and mix it together and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of it and then lightly spread it on the corn.

TeamCasey
07-03-2008, 04:24 PM
A few hours?

I soak it (sometimes adding a little sugar to the water if the corn is out of season) and toss it right on the fire. I grill it until all sides of the husks are blackened a bit. Easy peasy.

TeamCasey
07-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Yeah, but it also requires pre-planning, which is hit-or-miss for me. I'll get everything else ready, and then as I'm lighting the grill, "Oh crap, the corn is still in the 'fridge."

I've soaked it for a short time with good results. The whole key to corn is to get it as fresh as possible and having the luck that it's good corn and the store hasn't had it too long.

I'm a country girl. Ideally corn should be cooked the same day it's picked.

IslandRed
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM

I keep meaning to buy a new one. I have one of the less expensive New Braunfels models (the Black Diamond), which works pretty well after I made a few small mods to it to better distribute heat. But the firebox isn't that big, the metal isn't that thick and the joints aren't that tight, so it requires more work to keep an even temperature over the hours than it should. And that's after conceding the necessity of using a mixed charcoal/wood fire rather than the all-wood fire I'd prefer. Turns out some good 'cue, though.

TeamCasey
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm going to grill today ...... experimenting a bit. Could be a total flop.

2 different skewered chicken marinades: mesquite chili w/ lime or sesame ginger.

Skewered yams with a dash of some juice TB had in the fridge - papaya/mango/orange I think.

Barbecued beans

Watermelon

I really wish I picked up the pineapple that I saw on sale yesterday. I think it would have been good grilled with the yams.

TeamCasey
07-03-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm still looking for a single electric burner like I used in the college dorm. I got a charcoal smoker for Christmas but I want to "convert" it to electric. Got the idea from Alton Brown on Good Eats.

15fan
07-03-2008, 09:58 PM
Grilled corn? In the fan house, that means shucking, putting on the grill, and brushing with a mix of olive oil, fresh cracked pepper, kosher salt and some chili powder.

After the Peachtree Road Race 10K (misses & a couple of neighbors are part of the 55,000 field) is a small neighborhood soiree at our place in the morning. Then we're having some other friends over for dinner. There's a big honkin stake that's dry aging in our fridge.

And when the meals are over, there's a s'mores cheesecake for dessert.

jhiller21
07-03-2008, 11:42 PM
NY strip steaks
Burgers
Beer-boiled brats finished on the grill
Grilled pepper shrimp
Jerk chicken
Potato salad
Cole slaw
Corn and black bean salad
Lots of assorted beer

remdog
07-03-2008, 11:47 PM
A friend is coming over about noon and we're gonna' grill a couple of ribeyes (bone in, of course) with the afore mentioned grilled corn in the husk. Salad is sliced beefsteak tomato with anchovies or raw red onion rings, depending on your taste, hearts of palm and capers all drizzeled with extra virgin olive oil.

We're gonna' watch some Reds baseball and/or Wimbeldon tennis and try to get in a little pool time. About 4:00 PM we'll head to the tennis club to play a mixed doubles 'hit and giggle' round robin tourney followed by grilled (greasy, yum) burgers and hot dogs. Then we trek up the hill to watch the fireworks presented by 'The Dunes' over the Newport Backbay. This is their 50th year of fireworks and should be extra spectacular. The tennis, food (including unlimited beverage of your choice :beerme:) and fireworks are $12.00 per person. Great deal if ya' ask me!

Then, I'll try to shake my hangover the next morning so that I can go to work. :lol:

Rem

remdog
07-03-2008, 11:54 PM
2 different skewered chicken marinades: mesquite chili w/ lime or sesame ginger.

I grilled some slices of tri-tip in a seasame ginger marinade last night and it was great, great, great!

Rem

07-04-2008, 01:00 AM

How long do you cook the corn this way? Directly over the heat, right?

TeamSelig
07-04-2008, 01:05 AM
grilled pineapple?

*BaseClogger*
07-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Watermelon and pineapple, Deviled eggs, and cheesy scalloped potatoes to go with assorted grilled meats...

And apple pie!

KittyDuran
07-04-2008, 09:21 AM
Pack a small cooler with assorted snacks, buy 2 bottles of water from a vendor, then buy a hot dog at GABP. Settle in my seat (but bring a book to read in case of rain).

nate
07-04-2008, 09:50 AM
I just fired up the smoker; it's a cheapy electric one I got for $20 at a garage sale but it works pretty well. I'm gonna do some "country ribs" and maybe some salmon. The most requested item is this (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/cajun-spiced-shrimp-and-corn-salad) corn salad.

SandyD
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
We're heading down to the Fr Qtr for the big "Fourth on the River". We travel light, so we'll pick up food there. We've been invited to a party on Royal St, so we'll spend some time there. Not sure where we'll catch the fireworks, tho.

westofyou
07-04-2008, 10:04 AM
How long do you cook the corn this way? Directly over the heat, right?
Yep.... roll it occasionally the outer husks will blacken and brown, takes about 15 minutes.

goreds2
07-04-2008, 11:41 AM
Ham, potato salad, baked beans, chocolate pie and some burgers on the grill when we get tired of the ham.

KittyDuran
07-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Pack a small cooler with assorted snacks, buy 2 bottles of water from a vendor, then buy a hot dog at GABP. Settle in my seat (but bring a book to read in case of rain).I was BAD... was too hungry before the game - so I went to McAlister's Deli and got a club and ate it there - but I did finish off my snacks at the game...

OldRightHander
07-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I had grilled brats and ribeyes and fresh green beans. Had a brat for lunch and a ribeye for supper. In between was large quantities of watermelon. My wife will be home around 11:30. I saved her a ribeye and half the watermelon, but she'll probably be too tired to eat anything before going to bed.