PDA

View Full Version : Great move by Krivsky signing Phillips Feb 15th.

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 10:24 PM
His arbitration hearing this season was for $2.7 or $4.2. Instead the REDS signed him for this:

08:$2.75M, 09:$4.75M, 10:$6.75M, 11:$11M, 12:$12M club option ($1M buyout)

If they hadn't done this, his arbitration numbers in 2009 probably would have cost us around $6M, and in 2010 around $8-9M. Then he would have been a free-agent garnering a contract at over $14M per year from 2010 and on.

We got a fantastic bargain in Phillips. Gold Glove Defense up the middle. Leads the REDS in Total Bases every season. Never misses a start. And, he's really hot right now.

Thanks again Wayne K.

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 10:31 PM
And one week ago he was still 26 years old. He turned 27 on June 28th, so what he's done the last year and a half, he should be able to produce over the next 3-1/2seasons. That was a perfect contract signed by the REDS.

ChatterRed
07-05-2008, 10:32 PM
We were riding home and the Nats elected to walk KGJ to get to Phillips and I told my kids, game over. Phillips hit Ayala the other night to win the game. I called that one. BP loves hitting in the clutch.

Kingspoint
07-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Brandon Phillips is fantastic.

You don't hear junk about him.

He does his job every night.

I don't think he gets enough credit.

mroby85
07-05-2008, 11:30 PM
We were riding home and the Nats elected to walk KGJ to get to Phillips and I told my kids, game over. Phillips hit Ayala the other night to win the game. I called that one. BP loves hitting in the clutch.

Yep, you gotta love a player like that, it makes you wonder why teams do that, with how many times you see JR not come through in the clutch. more out of respect than current production i think.

Maldez
07-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Wayne Krivsky made a lot of great moves. I'm still pissed he was fired.

Kingspoint
07-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Phillips has now gone 76 games without making an error.

If not for some guy named Chase Utley, Brandon would have a permanent spot as the National League's Starting Second Baseman in the All-Star game every year.

GoReds33
07-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Krivsky's great moves really overshadowed his bad ones, and his bad moves usually turned out not to be that bad. Phillips is the best defensive second baseman I have ever seen, and people are starting to take notice.

redsfanfalcon
07-06-2008, 08:25 AM
They said he was 5th in the All Star balloting for 2nd baseman? That's a joke. I can see Utley, and some could make an argument for Uggla (not me).

Maldez
07-06-2008, 11:30 AM
They said he was 5th in the All Star balloting for 2nd baseman? That's a joke. I can see Utley, and some could make an argument for Uggla (not me).

Just goes to show you how unknowledgeable most voters are.

Orodle
07-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Just goes to show you how unknowledgeable most voters are.

I agree, all you have to see is that Jr. is second in outfielder voting? c'mon

NorrisHopper30
07-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Phillips is 6th, behind Kaz Matsui, Rickie Weeks, Utley, Uggla and DeRosa.

Kingspoint
07-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Phillips is 6th, behind Kaz Matsui, Rickie Weeks, Utley, Uggla and DeRosa.

The Managers know better and they should vote him onto the team.

improbus
07-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Don't disparage Uggla too much. He is 4th in the NL in OPS .995 (behind Chipper, Berkman, and Pujols) whereas Phillips is between Orlando Hudson and Aaron Rowand...

I do think that Phillips is a better all around ballplayer, but the All-Star game isn't about SB's and Defense.

One last thing. Phillips has a chance to be the first Red to have over 190 hits since Sean Casey in 1999. Phillips is on pace for 185 right now.

Kingspoint
07-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Don't disparage Uggla too much. He is 4th in the NL in OPS .995 (behind Chipper, Berkman, and Pujols) whereas Phillips is between Orlando Hudson and Aaron Rowand...

I do think that Phillips is a better all around ballplayer, but the All-Star game isn't about SB's and Defense.

One last thing. Phillips has a chance to be the first Red to have over 190 hits since Sean Casey in 1999. Phillips is on pace for 185 right now.

Yes, this is one of the years where Phillips should have been a 3rd 2nd Baseman added to the squad. They've done it before, and they do it all the time with 1st Basemen.

ChatterRed
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
I think BP has positioned himself, with his play, to be the leader of this team when Junior and Dunn are gone. Unlike those two, I feel he brings a passion and fire to his game. I watch him. When a guy is on second or third and BP strikes out or hits into an out, he runs to first base and smacks his hands together in disgust, at missing the opportunity.

I think he has become more of a team player, while still being able to lead. He is entering his prime and I see a nice stretch of 3 or 4 years ahead for him, which will contribute heavily to the Reds success during that time.

I am excited about BP.

improbus
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Yes, this is one of the years where Phillips should have been a 3rd 2nd Baseman added to the squad. They've done it before, and they do it all the time with 1st Basemen.
They could've brought in Phillips and made him the backup SS instead of Tejada (which would have saved MLB the steroid headache of Tejada...)

BLEEDS
07-08-2008, 11:39 AM
If by TOTAL BASES - you mean TOTAL BASE HITS, then you are correct.

If you include WALKS, and OBP and SLG, he's not even close... maybe 3rd.

He might get 195 hits and still OBP .310...

Unfortunately he also leads the team, year in and year out, in total bases ERASED by leading the league in GIDP's, so his Offensive Production is vastly over-hyped and over-valued by those that look solely at BA for their Analysis.

PEACE

-BLEEDS