PDA

View Full Version : Harang = OK!

TheBigLebowski
07-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Per Fay. Forearm strain. Will be tabled until after the ASB. No word on whether or not he'll hit the 15 day DL. :thumbup:

Fullboat
07-10-2008, 06:23 PM
:thumbup: now send him to Aruba for a couple of weeks.

Kingspoint
07-10-2008, 07:15 PM
He's not OK. It's just that the MRI didn't reveal anything "additional" other than what they already know about him having a "tired arm", which is a medical condition requiring rest. The amount of rest can very from a few days to more than a year depending on the severity. This type of injury will not show up on an MRI.

But, it is good news that there's nothing additionally wrong.

He will have anywhere from 8-11 days of rest, depending where he is put into the rotation, and they will make another judgement call after that start. If he doesn't show improvement after that start, I think he'll hit the DL. I think it will be enough rest, though, as his "tired arm" isn't as severe as Majewski's was or Arroyo's is.

HeatherC1212
07-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Latest Fay update said the Reds were going to put Aaron on the 15 day DL probably effective either today or tomorrow. I'm EXTREMELY glad there's no concrete injury and that rest is the best thing to help Aaron's arm. Enjoy your rest Aaron and come back to the Reds in a couple of weeks just like your old self! :)

Kingspoint
07-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Latest Fay update said the Reds were going to put Aaron on the 15 day DL probably effective either today or tomorrow. I'm EXTREMELY glad there's no concrete injury and that rest is the best thing to help Aaron's arm. Enjoy your rest Aaron and come back to the Reds in a couple of weeks just like your old self! :)

Really? Wise move. Caught it in time before he turns into a Majewski or Arroyo. He should come back strong next year because of the rest they give him right now regardless of how well he does or doesn't pitch the rest of this year.

AccordinglyReds
07-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Good move to put him on the 15 day DL if it happens.

Harang just needs to be healthy, that's the bottom line.

George Foster
07-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Is it just me or is it funny that as soon as Dusty is the manager, our work horse, our ace, has arm trouble, for really the first time in his career.

Kingspoint
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM
Is it just me or is it funny that as soon as Dusty is the manager, our work horse, our ace, has arm trouble, for really the first time in his career.

As much as I have said I wanted nothing to do with Baker, it is a coincidence. It wouldn't have mattered who was Manager. The damage was done the previous three years while Harang led the league in innings pitched each season, and probably number of pitches thrown, too.

I'm really gaining a lot of respect for Baker and Jockety for how they are handling Harang and Thompson the last few weeks.

George Foster
07-10-2008, 11:58 PM

I was at the game on Tuesday. He had no business pitching past the 3rd inning and should of been pinched hit for when we had the bases loaded with 2 outs. I told my wife he had nothing in that arm, it was dead. Everyone knew it but "beat um' in the ground" Dusty.

Kingspoint
07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
I was at the game on Tuesday. He had no business pitching past the 3rd inning and should of been pinched hit for when we had the bases loaded with 2 outs. I told my wife he had nothing in that arm, it was dead. Everyone knew it but "beat um' in the ground" Dusty.

Even though I said what I said above, I have to agree with you here. I do beleive that Baker is totally aware of what's going on, and he let the "veteran" stay in, probably because Harang said he was, "OK". Which were the statements after the game, also.

levydl
07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
As much as I have said I wanted nothing to do with Baker, it is a coincidence. It wouldn't have mattered who was Manager. The damage was done the previous three years while Harang led the league in innings pitched each season, and probably number of pitches thrown, too.

I'm really gaining a lot of respect for Baker and Jockety for how they are handling Harang and Thompson the last few weeks.

Maybe you're right. It's difficult pin down cause and effect with these things. But after Dusty mismanaged the pitching staff in that San Diego 18 inning game, I wanted Freel to pitch before he put Harang out there. Throw day or not, pitching in a game (especially with the game on the line) is much different than tossing in the pen. Then throwing him a few days later was a terrible move. And he hasn't really been the same since, so you have to wonder.

And Harang hasn't led the league in innings ever (Arroyo did in 2006, actually). He was 3rd the last 2 years (2nd in the NL behind Webb each year), though not far behind 1st. He wasn't in the top 20 in 2005. But your point remains, he's been worked a lot over the years. That could well be the cause of his arm troubles. But that damn week surrounding the SD game he threw 240 pitches in 3 appearances, and has had 1 good game since (against Boston). Makes you wonder.

stfm965
07-11-2008, 05:32 AM
I really believe that the night in San Diego set him off. Pitchers are creatures of habit and by disrupting his routine, that may have been the fuse that set off the arm soreness.

The only way to get over an injury like this is just rest. And with the ASB here, there couldn't be a more perfect time for this.

muethibp
07-11-2008, 12:35 PM

I'm in this boat. I don't particularly care for Dusty but I think he has handled the pitching staff reasonably well...and certainly a far cry from the pitcher abuse everyone was worried about when he was hired.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow.. dusty has overused this staff? we dont have anyone on the team with a complete game.. sorry but just b/c harang's MRI came back ok.. doesn't mean he hasnt lost something..

Kingspoint
07-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Maybe you're right. It's difficult pin down cause and effect with these things. But after Dusty mismanaged the pitching staff in that San Diego 18 inning game, I wanted Freel to pitch before he put Harang out there. Throw day or not, pitching in a game (especially with the game on the line) is much different than tossing in the pen. Then throwing him a few days later was a terrible move. And he hasn't really been the same since, so you have to wonder.

And Harang hasn't led the league in innings ever (Arroyo did in 2006, actually). He was 3rd the last 2 years (2nd in the NL behind Webb each year), though not far behind 1st. He wasn't in the top 20 in 2005. But your point remains, he's been worked a lot over the years. That could well be the cause of his arm troubles. But that damn week surrounding the SD game he threw 240 pitches in 3 appearances, and has had 1 good game since (against Boston). Makes you wonder.

I knew he was close. That San Diego game certainly made things worse.

In 2005 Harang was 13th in All MLB in # of pitches thrown.
In 2006 Arroyo was 1st and Harang was 2nd. To show how many they threw that year, the next season's #1 was more than 150 pitches less than Arroyo. Arroyo threw about 110 more than Harang in 2006 and Harang threw about 80 more than the next person.

Then in 2007 Harang was 5th in # of pitches thrown.

So, from 2005 to 2007, he was 13th, 2nd and 5th, and this year when after he pitched July 8th, he was 2nd, only 5 pitches behind Matt Cain.

improbus
07-11-2008, 08:51 PM
I knew he was close. That San Diego game certainly made things worse.

In 2005 Harang was 13th in All MLB in # of pitches thrown.
In 2006 Arroyo was 1st and Harang was 2nd. To show how many they threw that year, the next season's #1 was more than 150 pitches less than Arroyo. Arroyo threw about 110 more than Harang in 2006 and Harang threw about 80 more than the next person.

Then in 2007 Harang was 5th in # of pitches thrown.

So, from 2005 to 2007, he was 13th, 2nd and 5th, and this year when after he pitched July 8th, he was 2nd, only 5 pitches behind Matt Cain.

That's partially because he is a strikeout pitcher. They tend to throw more pitches.

Now, Arroyo is another story. He is a nibbler and tends to try and get hitters to swing at junk.