PDA

View Full Version : What do you do if your Walt?

redhawk61
07-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Now I am as big of a pessimist as you can find, especially with this team right now, but say we sweep this series, and like Thom and Chris said, we would be something like 4.5 out of the wild card, obviously in the race. Walt isn't going to sit around and do nothing but some minuscule moves till the deadline.

So what would you see him doing, who do you think he would target, to help push us to a potential WC birth this year?

tommycash
07-11-2008, 10:39 PM
They way we are playing, I think Walt would have to wait until the close to the deadline to see if our push is for real (if we sweep this series). If we make a move too soon, then we might give up key future prospects. I think Walt would have to wait, and so would I at this point. I say we don't make any moves until a week before the deadline. But thats just my opinion. If we were to move, I think we would have to get a right handed power bat not in the race (I wish we could get Jason Bay but that will probably never happen) and a 5th starter. I could see us getting somebody (pitching wise) from Seattle, Cleveland, San Diego (wouldn't be great to see Greg Maddux in a Red's uniform for even a part of the season), and Washington (maybe we could resign Chris Booker and Gookie Dawkins and trade them to Leatherpants for anything we want from the Nationals). As far as right handed power hitters go, I would love to get Jason Bay or Matt Holliday, but I think we would only be able to get some veteran right handed platoon players.

LouisvilleCARDS
07-11-2008, 11:05 PM
There's way too many teams for this team to pass to be in contention .. we're not even .500, there should be no talk of moves. Drop salary, get prospects, and get younger.

David Cubbedge
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I hate that we won this game! Big time! Freakin' Brewer defense. This just makes Jocketty have to hold off even longer to figure out where this team is. Man, we won in the worst way too. We didn't earn this win. The Brewers gave this one away. Garbage!

We need to lose and at the same time we need to see our young guys mature. Neither of those things happened tonight. Lets lose some games and climb up the draft pick list for next season.

Jack Burton
07-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Good job by Fogg to get some trade value, definitely helped his stock.

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Sometimes the longer you wait to make a deal, the more valuable your pieces become to other teams who feel like they "need to make a deal." I'm fine with nothing happening so far, just so long as it does by the deadline.

Blue
07-11-2008, 11:31 PM
If there is any market at all for Bronson Arroyo, he has to trade him. It could be addition by subtraction this season, and it frees up money for the offseason.

Fullboat
07-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Walt is playing it cool.The Rays have Lost 5 games and are hanging to first by their fingertips
Phillie's in the same situation.I bet their FO and Fans will be screaming DO SOMETHING!!!! as
the trade dateline looms.:D

Ohioballplayer
07-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Fullboat is correct, Walt has a gameplan, but like any plan he can't take too long to show his hand. Dunn has to be sparking interest from Arizona, their injuries are killing them, Jr hopefully can go to TB for anyone at this point, Weathers, Ross, let them go, Marlins could give us something for Ross.

Griffey012
07-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Also, it is good that Walt is acting as if we are not desperately looking to dump everyone off. They keep saying we are still evaluating and hanging on so a team is gonna have to give a little better offer than if we are completely desperate.

SoTxRedsFan
07-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I hate that we won this game! Big time! Freakin' Brewer defense. This just makes Jocketty have to hold off even longer to figure out where this team is. Man, we won in the worst way too. We didn't earn this win. The Brewers gave this one away. Garbage!

We need to lose and at the same time we need to see our young guys mature. Neither of those things happened tonight. Lets lose some games and climb up the draft pick list for next season.

Screw losing! Winning games with Votto, Bruce, Volquez, Cueto, Homer, and Edwin getting more and more experience is money. You don't want young guys like that getting too used to losing.

SoTxRedsFan
07-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I would look to move Bronson and David Ross. I like our young pitchers going forward, and getting anything useful for Ross would be a great move.

ChatterRed
07-12-2008, 12:45 PM
It's a no-lose situation for the Reds right now. If the team starts playing better, that makes certain players more attractive in trade, and we should get better return.

I don't think they have a chance to win the wild card. But never say never.

On paper, tonight is a win. Reds shelled McClung last time they faced him, and Edinson rarely gives up more than 3 runs. I hope the law of averages holds true.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-13-2008, 04:44 PM
Do you guys see us trying to move Arroyo now that it looks like Homer might be finally here to stay??

FlyerFanatic
07-13-2008, 04:49 PM
its time to get rid of patterson..i really dont care...cut him and take the hit...its embarrasing, you can tell when he goes to the plate he doesnt even look comfortable in the box...what a joke

Blue
07-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Release Patterson, fire the manager who has once again proved his incompetence. That's a good start. We'd be over .500 if not for those two.

ChatterRed
07-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, now that Hairston, Burton and Harang are injured, there goes the season.

Sell, sell, sell.