PDA

View Full Version : Burton Hurt per Hal McCoy's Blog

captainmorgan07
07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Aruba, Jamaica, it’s where I wanna take ya.

Well, not all of you. I’d take some - but it is a week without baseball and nothing around the pool bu cola and lemonade. Rum? Maybe a touch.

So today is it. Last post for a week. I’m leaving it in your hands. Be nice. Treat each other with respect. Give your opinions and respect others. And I’m still hearing moans about Griffey batting third.

Quit wasting breath and finger muscles typing it. It isn’t going to change.

Now, I can’t believe none of you astute observers have wondered the last two days why Jared Burton hasn’t pitched. They’ve kept it nicely under cover, hoping the Milwaukee Brewers wouldn’t notice.

Burton isn’t available. He’s hurt. How bad? Check back after the All-Star break.

It happened last week when he was pitching against the Nationals and a dispute broke out on the field. While the umpires and the Reds argued, Burton stood and watched. Didn’t throw any practice pitches.

When the on-field discussions ended, Burton threw a pitch and, “Ow.” Something under his arm pit hurt. He tried to pitch in Chicago, but couldn’t extend, so he was shut down.

“With three days of rest here (in Milwaukee) and three days during the All-Star break, that gives him plenty of rest,” said manager Dusty Baker. “We’ll have him throw Thursday and see if he is OK or if we have to disable him and get help from Louisville.”

Speaking of the All-Star break, Baker isn’t wondering far from Milwaukee. He plans to go fishing on Sturgeon Bay in Dorr County, Wisconsin.

“Maybe I’ll run into Brett Favre,” said Baker. “Never met him, don’t know him, Ibut he has always been one of my favorite quarterbacks.”

Baker also plans a visit to Lambeau Field, home of the Green Bay Packers, where he’ll admire the ghost of Vince Lombardi, one of his all-time favorite sports figures.

“I’ll wall-eye fish on Monday, smallmouth on Tuesday, drive to Green Bay on Wednesday and check out Lambeau,” he said. “Vince is one of my favorite coaches and favorite people. I might go there and get some of that old Packer spirit of winning - put in a glass or a cup and bring it back here. I’m psyched. Got my camera ready.”

First, though, there was the matter of meeting the Brewers and C.C. Sabathia Sunday. The lineup was stacked with as many righthanders as Baker could find, with Ken Griffey Jr. and Jay Bruce taking a seat.

“Big game today,” he said. “A two-under .500 or or a four-under .500 day. We can start the second half two-under or four-under. And we have the ultimate challenge in C.C.

“I don’t have many lefthanders in there,” Baker added. “Lefthanders might get C.C., but chances aren’t that good. Giving Junior the day off, even though he has hit C.C. pretty good.

“C.C. and Dunn are buddies, so we’ll see who gets bragging rights right there,” Baker added. “Brandon Phillips and C.C. were teammates (in Cleveland), so there’s bragging rights challenge. Corey Patterson has hit him pretty good, although he hasn’t hit much lately.”

So why is Patterson playing?

“I figure if we’re going to beat him, it will be a low-scoring game and we have to have some good defense in there,” Baker explained.

Aruba, Jamaica, that’s where I wannaa take ya. See ya all in a week.

Griffey012
07-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Unbelievable...can we DFA Patterson already.

dthomas24
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
It happened last week when he was pitching against the Nationals and a dispute broke out on the field. While the umpires and the Reds argued, Burton stood and watched. Didn’t throw any practice pitches.

How long did the argument go on? Does anyone really think that a professional athlete, one especially in good shape like Burton, would be injured because of inactivity for a really short period of time? I really don't know how long the argument went but I doubt not throwing for a couple of minutes caused the injury.

AccordinglyReds
07-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Hope Burton is okay. Get better, Jared! The team needs you!