PDA

View Full Version : If you were BoSox, would you re-sign ManRam?

ChatterRed
07-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Manny Ramirez turned 36 in May. Seeing how Junior has declined the last few years, would you re-sign/extend Ramirez if you were the BoSox? Here are his career numbers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5132/career;_ylt=AmHvAa6ITv82tmYN8WPdkyyFCLcF

I would do a contract on a yearly basis from this point on, and it would be for a declining amount each year. And when his stats and health are clearly an issue, I'd cut ties. I would not sign him long term.

I bring this up because Yahoo currently has a story talking about how Manny is upset at the way his contract talks are going.

Manny is definitely a HOFer based on his stats. But we've all seen declining HOFers.

PTI (pti)
07-19-2008, 11:05 AM
No way.

Someone is going to make a *big* mistake by signing him to a big-time deal. He'll still get on base 40% of the time, and hit .300, but his power numbers are declining - and so is his ability to stay healthy.

Ghosts of 1990
07-19-2008, 11:49 AM
not for the price at the age he is at currently.

mroby85
07-19-2008, 11:53 AM
If I were the reds i would, perfect right hand power bat this lineup needs.

On sportscenter the other night though, they said something about his owner saying he's been personally offended by ramirez, and that it could effect his stay in boston, but that happens so often with manny and they always make up, so i would assume he'll be back.

AFalcon10
07-19-2008, 12:55 PM
It depends how their prospects are looking down at Pawtucket.

ChatterRed
07-21-2008, 12:11 AM
I think some AL club should sign him as a DH if they can get him at a reduced cost. He's another aging hitter, who has hit for average and power but his numbers are declining. I think if he just batted, he could be an asset for someone.

Blue
07-21-2008, 12:15 AM
They should just pick up his option for $20 million. That's low-risk enough.

07-21-2008, 12:20 AM
Manny never crashed into walls or made diving catches, or stole bases, or slid hard into third or home or many other things that Griffey did which resulted in Griffey being where he is at age 38.

Manny should be able to hit like he does until he is 40 and he never played great defense, so he can't lose that much.

The Red Sox have two options on him for $20M each for 09 and 10. The Red Sox definitely will pick up this year's, and unless he has a major decline in 09, they will pick it up in 10. Who knows what any team or player will look like after that.

BlastFurnace
07-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Yes. I would re-sign him. He is perfect for that team and ballpark. The guy is an RBI machine and is still a great one-two punch with Ortiz. Manny hasn't shown that he is slowing down. I think it's an easy choice.

Ahhhorsepoo
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
one of the best hitters of this generation.. hands down..

freestyle55
07-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I would do a contract on a yearly basis from this point on, and it would be for a declining amount each year.

If you're Manny Ramirez, why on earth would you ever take that? You're guaranteed to get picked up by someone for multiple years at guaranteed money versus staying with a year to year type situation...