PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Replacement for JR?

Griffey012
07-22-2008, 07:40 AM
After watching Bruce get to pretty bad jumps/reads on balls last night, I was thinking about whether or not we really benefit from having a defensive replacement for Griffey. I am aware Bruce has much more speed in the tank than Griffey these days, but Griffey almost always get the right read on a ball right away off the bat which makes up for some of his lost speed, and is something that will take Bruce a few years in right field to do. What are your thoughts, opinions.

I myself am really undecided, I don't pay attention to all the sabermetric defensive stats for the most part. And just from watching, well I haven't paid close enough attention to Bruce's jumps, reads, etc. when he has played right field.

Jefferson24
07-22-2008, 08:02 AM
Had Griffey been out there he would have got a better jump on the ball but he still would have missed it. Bruce with a better jump probably would have been close but I doubt he makes that play either. Griffey stopped running on a ball in the first that was right on the edge of the seats in foul ground. It sounded like it was catchable if he had been there. That batter walked and then ended up scoring. It all adds up to bad defense all around. This team will improve greatly in this area when they replace Griffey and Dunn.

AFalcon10
07-22-2008, 11:52 AM
I dont understand why we do so many defensive replacements in close games that could easily go to the bottom of the 9th/extra innings as we have seen lately. In my opinion, the defense Corey brings is not worth taking dunn or griffey out of our batting lineup if things go awry, particularly in one run games. Then again, i guess those are the games defensive replacements make a real difference. Tough call.

bgwilly31
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
griffey is old and slow and washed up. He wouldnt have caught that ball if he knew where it was going before the ball was hit.

Griffey012
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Well I wasn't saying Griffey would have caught the ball hit deep that lead to the 2 runs in the game last night, it is what just made me think of the question. That ball was tasered, nobody would have gotten to it.

bgwilly31
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Well I wasn't addressing the ball hit deep that lead to the 2 runs in the game last night, it is what just made me think of the question. That ball was tasered, nobody would have gotten to it.

http://sf.startupweekend.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/o_rly.jpg

Well whats this mean:confused::)

After watching Bruce get pretty bad jumps/reads on balls last night, .

Griffey012
07-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Yes, Bruce made a poor read on the line drive, but it wasn't catchable regardless. He had bad reads on both balls hit to him and neither were catchable, but it spoked a thought it my head of how much benefit defensively there is between Bruce and Jr. in right field.

I never mentioned anything about Griffey or anyone else catching the 2 run double.

Blue
07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I dont understand why we do so many defensive replacements in close games that could easily go to the bottom of the 9th/extra innings as we have seen lately. In my opinion, the defense Corey brings is not worth taking dunn or griffey out of our batting lineup if things go awry, particularly in one run games. Then again, i guess those are the games defensive replacements make a real difference. Tough call.

Replacing Dunn's bat in late innings of close games with a guy who hits below replacement level has burned the Reds many times this season.

OSUredsFAN
07-23-2008, 12:32 AM
Had Griffey been out there he would have got a better jump on the ball but he still would have missed it. Bruce with a better jump probably would have been close but I doubt he makes that play either. Griffey stopped running on a ball in the first that was right on the edge of the seats in foul ground. It sounded like it was catchable if he had been there. That batter walked and then ended up scoring. It all adds up to bad defense all around. This team will improve greatly in this area when they replace Griffey and Dunn.

When watching the game I really didn't think it was catchable, but that is my option. Even if it was, I would rather have Griffey health than run into the wall and get hurt. so I have on problem with what happened.