PDA

View Full Version : Yusmeiro Petit starting again today

Brutus
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't know if many people have noticed, but the former Marlins prospect is starting for the second time this season for the Diamondbacks tonight against the Cubbies.

Petit is a diamond in the rough, and few people have taken notice of the season he's actually having.

For Arizona (in one start and 8 relief appearances) he's pitched 17 2/3 innings, giving up 8 runs (6 earned). He's allowed just 12 hits and given up only one walk while striking out 11. He's got a 3.06 ERA and an 0.74 WHIP.

Now that alone is a sample size issue, but check his numbers from Triple A:

60.0 IP
4.80 ERA
1.20 WHIP
64 Hits
67 Strikeouts
8 Walks
10.05 K/9
1.20 BB/9
8.4-1 K:BB ratio
.270 BAA

The ERA seems a tad high, although he did pitch in a Hitter's league (Tuscon, PCL), but his FIP was 2.68 because of his tremendous K:BB ratio. In other words, he was pitching much, much better than his ERA dictated.

For you Fantasy players out there, I'd keep an eye on him. He looks to me working himself into the Diamondbacks future plans (both immediate and long-term).

78 K's to just 9 BB's at both levels. That's video game numbers!

Oh, I forgot to add... he's still only 23 years old. I thought originally he would be older than that because it seems he's been around a while as a prospect. But he doesn't turn 24 until November.

Az. Reds Fan
07-22-2008, 12:21 PM
The reason he doesn't get much pub is because he doesn't throw 95-97 mph. Petit is pretty much a soft tosser who's fastball reaches 86-88 mph on a good day. Bottom line though is results, and he'll face a stern challenge today from the Cubbies.

I'll be pulling for him.

Brutus
07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
The reason he doesn't get much pub is because he doesn't throw 95-97 mph. Petit is pretty much a soft tosser who's fastball reaches 86-88 mph on a good day. Bottom line though is results, and he'll face a stern challenge today from the Cubbies.

I'll be pulling for him.

That's a good point, but for a soft-tosser, that's a pretty good amount of strikeouts (nearly one per inning).

When you don't throw 90 and you get that many strikeouts, you've got great stuff. And apparently awesome command, as well.

I agree though, here's hoping he comes through. I like to see guys succeed even if they can't pop 95.