PDA

View Full Version : Don't feel sorry for Dunn or Junior or any of these players, ever...

Kingspoint
07-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Next time you look at your paycheck and realize how little you make compared to these guys, there's no reason to feel sorry for any of them.

If you've never read it, here's the Major League Baseball and Player's Associations' current contract:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

The daily per diem is as much as many people make and it has nothing to do with their salaries.

schmidty622
07-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Right. They derserve NO love from the fans or media. It's something they should have to earn and maintain.

ChatterRed
07-29-2008, 07:41 AM
$85.00 per day food allowance? $595.00 per week just for food? Unreal.

These guys really are spoiled primadonnas.

Griffey012
07-29-2008, 09:57 AM
In nearly every profession the best at what they do get pampered, this is nothing new.

Fil3232
07-29-2008, 10:11 AM
I don't feel sorry for Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate their ability because of jealousy, anger, bitterness, etc.

DoubleA_Ron
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Although I agree that current baseball players are spoiled, the only thing to keep in mind is that these aren’t exactly "normal" careers. Unlike a desk job where there is very little risk of serious long term injury, one bean ball to the head and you could easily wind up as vegetable. A demotion or other career ending injury could happen at any time, and as a whole the career is quite a bit shorter than a normal career. And in the end they have the ability to hit a ball 400 feet or pitch 95 miles an hour; we don’t. Sigh, what I would give for that.

redsfanmia
07-29-2008, 10:17 AM

Plus they get a fat spread of food and beverages in the clubhouse before and after games.

GoReds33
07-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Plus they get a fat spread of food and beverages in the clubhouse before and after games.Yes, but they have to pay for that. The spread comes out of their clubhouse dues.

redsfanmia
07-29-2008, 10:31 AM
Yes, but they have to pay for that. The spread comes out of their clubhouse dues.

Something I did not know.

Griffey012
07-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Next time you look at your paycheck and realize how little you make compared to these guys, there's no reason to feel sorry for any of them.

If you've never read it, here's the Major League Baseball and Player's Associations' current contract:

http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

The daily per diem is as much as many people make and it has nothing to do with their salaries.

I don't know of anybody on here that feels sorry for anybody on the Reds. If we choose to defend certain players against other people's bashing it doesn't mean we feel sorry for them, we have a differing opinion. And some of us might realize that just because they may make 10 million, they are still human just like us, they are paid for their exceptional baseball talent, not their exceptional skill to act as if they wear a coat of armor and nothing can ever get to them or phase them.

I may also be misunderstanding the point you are trying to make, with the heave of bashing during the recent losing streak it makes it hard to see what is just a point being made or info tossed out for us to read for fun, or what is entailed to more ripping on the players.

TheBigLebowski
07-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't see the point of this thread. We all know MLB players are overpaid. I also know that just about everyone here would switch careers with them if we could - sympathy or no sympathy from message board commandos.

EddieMilner
07-29-2008, 11:10 AM

These guys really are spoiled primadonnas.

I am actually slightly surprised with how low that per diem is. These guys stay at the nicest hotels in each city, and those restaurants are pretty expensive at those hotels. If you look at your weekly grocery bill, then there is no doubt this looks extremely expensive. But if you ever travel for work, you know how quickly it adds up. When I first started traveling for work I had a $49 per diem, the first few trips I didn't know what to do with all of it. Well after a few trips I figured it out.

I was actually quite surprised they have a per diem at all. But that MLB Player Union has some smart cookies.

BLEEDS
07-29-2008, 11:21 AM

$85 is not that much, in fact it's probably pretty low compared to a lot of companies that have employees traveling.

Not sure why you want to compare yourself to a multi-BILLION dollar company that really only employs about 1000 highly skilled employees. There's WAY more bigger companies that make this much money, and certainly millions of individuals who make WAY more than MLB baseball players do in the world.

Just because you have quick access to see them, doesn't make them unique.

They are entertainers and are paid as such.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ghosts of 1990
07-29-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't usually feel sorry for any of them anyways... unless it's somethign rare

Fon Duc Tow
07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
They are entertainers and are paid as such.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Exactly. I don't have a lot of sympathy for Britney Spears either. ;)

ChatterRed
07-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I do feel sorry for Shania Twain. She got done wrong! Done wrong, I tell ya! ;)

I'm glad she's single again. I just starting exercising now that she's available. ;)

Nasty_Boy
07-29-2008, 03:44 PM
I feel sorry for people who care what athlete's make. The more we watch, the more XM radio and Extra Inning packages we buy, the more hats and jersey's purchased, the more games you attend, etc... When I see that people are making this much it's just like it's play money, like it's not even real. The only problem I have is when people think they can talk bad about, and put people down just because they're making money.

Fon Duc Tow
07-29-2008, 04:59 PM
I feel sorry for people who care what athlete's make. The more we watch, the more XM radio and Extra Inning packages we buy, the more hats and jersey's purchased, the more games you attend, etc... When I see that people are making this much it's just like it's play money, like it's not even real. The only problem I have is when people think they can talk bad about, and put people down just because they're making money.

What I am saying is if someone is being paid VERY WELL to be in the spotlight AND to be a professional, then they don't get to play the "poor me" card.

Sure I would love to get paid millions to play a kids game. But if Griffey can't take the lumps with a little more class, then he sure as heck doesn't get any sympathy from me for it.

I'm sure if Griffey never played baseball and just had a regular 9-5 working for peanuts, he wouldn't have that problem, I'll put it that way.

As I said before...I have about as much sympathy for Griffey here as I do for Britney Spears complaining about the paparazzi.

...as soon as I see Griffey donate/give away every dime he has made from the public's adulation... then, only then, will a small violin play for Griffey dealing with the public's criticisms.

:)

redsfanmia
07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Personally I kind of feel sorry for pro atheletes in the way that they cant just go out and have a meal without being bothered. Their lives especially a guy like Griffey is not their own. Just think if every time you went out to eat or went to your kids baseball or basketball game you were bothered by someone asking for a picture or an autograph, it would not be fun. The money would be great but not being able to do what you want would be terrible.

Kingspoint
07-29-2008, 07:25 PM
I love the "REDS", though.

Kingspoint
07-29-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't see the point of this thread. We all know MLB players are overpaid. I also know that just about everyone here would switch careers with them if we could - sympathy or no sympathy from message board commandos.

The point of the thread is reading the labor agreement is interesting. Did you get a chance to read it, yet?

Fon Duc Tow
07-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Personally I kind of feel sorry for pro atheletes in the way that they cant just go out and have a meal without being bothered. Their lives especially a guy like Griffey is not their own. Just think if every time you went out to eat or went to your kids baseball or basketball game you were bothered by someone asking for a picture or an autograph, it would not be fun. The money would be great but not being able to do what you want would be terrible.

Bathing in my millions, wiping my bottom with 50's, I would shed a small tear... :rolleyes:

improbus
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't blame the guys for the money. I would rather see the players make than watch owners pocketing it. Do any of you have over 4-5 million people watch you do your job in person each year? Are you on TV every night? Is there an entire industry that follows your every move, both on and off the field? Are your productivity levels analyzed, blogged about, debated and scrutinized anywhere outside of your company? I'm sorry but complaining about players salaries just sounds like sour grapes. Every one of us has bad days at work, but do we all deserve to be boo'ed and heckled for it? And, if I was boo'ed and heckled every night I went to work I think I would be a little salty as well. Get over it guys.

Kingspoint
07-30-2008, 02:36 AM
I don't blame the guys for the money. I would rather see the players make than watch owners pocketing it. Do any of you have over 4-5 million people watch you do your job in person each year? Are you on TV every night? Is there an entire industry that follows your every move, both on and off the field? Are your productivity levels analyzed, blogged about, debated and scrutinized anywhere outside of your company? I'm sorry but complaining about players salaries just sounds like sour grapes. Every one of us has bad days at work, but do we all deserve to be boo'ed and heckled for it? And, if I was boo'ed and heckled every night I went to work I think I would be a little salty as well. Get over it guys.

Think I'd be talking to any of you if I did?

Jack Burton
07-30-2008, 09:51 AM
If you were heckled every night at your job you would have been fired a long time ago. And if you still did have your job, you should have taken steps to improve your performance. Lastly, it would still be your right to quit said job and take up another profession.

Fon Duc Tow
07-30-2008, 10:45 AM
If you were heckled every night at your job you would have been fired a long time ago.

If the salary was 9 million, I would take the job even if the job title was "Get Heckled For 3 Hours A Day" Technician.

Any way you spin it, it just doesn't add up for the Griffey apologists and justifiers.

Brantley will probably be told in private to tone it down and Griffey will continue his ineptitude until the "season" is over.

improbus
07-30-2008, 10:58 AM
There is a reason that we are the richest country in the world and not even remotely close to the happiest. People like to be liked, no matter how much money they make.

Fon Duc Tow
07-30-2008, 02:14 PM
There is a reason that we are the richest country in the world and not even remotely close to the happiest. People like to be liked, no matter how much money they make.

Well just off the top of my head, if you want to be well liked, do not take the following jobs:

1. Repo Man
2. Metermaid
3. Bubblebutt the Uber-Slacker

If you take any of the above jobs, you have no right to complain about not being liked

bounty37h
07-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Although I agree that current baseball players are spoiled, the only thing to keep in mind is that these aren’t exactly "normal" careers. Unlike a desk job where there is very little risk of serious long term injury, one bean ball to the head and you could easily wind up as vegetable. A demotion or other career ending injury could happen at any time, and as a whole the career is quite a bit shorter than a normal career. And in the end they have the ability to hit a ball 400 feet or pitch 95 miles an hour; we don’t. Sigh, what I would give for that.

Im not buying that argument either, although I understand what you are saying. However, I work for state dept of juv justice, and have the risk of being hit, shot, stabbed etc on a weekly basis, and that is much worse then blowing an arm out and not playing again, but I dont get paid some ridiculous salary for my "normal" career. Sadly in this modern era, the people who deserve to earn the most dont, while those who dont do anything of real value to society make the most.

Kingspoint
07-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Well just off the top of my head, if you want to be well liked, do not take the following jobs:

1. Repo Man
2. Metermaid

If you take any of the above jobs, you have no right to complain about not being liked

Don't forget worst Right-Fielder in Baseball that insists on batting 3rd.

Fon Duc Tow
07-30-2008, 04:47 PM
Don't forget worst Right-Fielder in Baseball that insists on batting 3rd.

umm that was option 3. :beerme:

1. Repo Man
2. Metermaid