PDA

View Full Version : Why are there no ties in baseball?

Oxilon
07-30-2008, 02:50 PM
When you think about it, it's hard to say there shouldn't any. MLB has the most games in a season by far over any other league, yet the NFL and NHL have ties. We've seen what an extended game can do to a team win or lose (San Diego/Cincinnati 18 innings). With teams having to exhaust most/all their pitchers on a roster for a single game, it can rake havoc in the following games for days or even weeks. Injuries and fatigue can than certainly become a problem. With there being 162 games in a season, is it really neccessary for there to be a final decision for one game in May that goes 15+ innings? It just gets to a point in extra innings that no matter which team wins or loses, both ended up getting the raw end of the deal for using an extra amount of pitchers/player for one game in the middle of the season.

improbus
07-30-2008, 02:54 PM
It is an attempt by Americans to distance themselves from soccer...

bounty37h
07-30-2008, 02:56 PM
no collar on jerseys?

Ahhhorsepoo
07-30-2008, 03:28 PM
there are no ties in the playoffs soo why let ties happen during the regular season.. i guess in the playoffs we should change other rules.. can bat more than 9.. can field up to 11.. only need 2 strikes to get a K..

gotta keep it constant.. that would be the reason i would say they haven't..

freestyle55
07-30-2008, 03:40 PM
How cool would it be if they went to something like soccer or hockey though...it's completely impractical, but imagine taking your 5 best pitchers against their 5 best hitters and saying you get one pitch, if it's a ball or the batter gets a hit it's a point for the batting team. If it's a strike or an out, a point for the fielding team...

Would be very interesting I think :)

Orodle
07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
there are no ties because thats how baseball is.....why try to change something that makes it different?

Oxilon
07-30-2008, 09:46 PM
there are no ties because thats how baseball is.....why try to change something that makes it different?

Because it would benefit the overall game? Kind of like adding instant replay to baseball for certain calls...benefiting baseball.

Oxilon
07-30-2008, 09:47 PM
there are no ties in the playoffs soo why let ties happen during the regular season.. i guess in the playoffs we should change other rules.. can bat more than 9.. can field up to 11.. only need 2 strikes to get a K..

gotta keep it constant.. that would be the reason i would say they haven't..

Huh? Obviously there would be no ties in the playoffs, just like the regular season. Like NFL and NHL where there are ties in the regular season but sudden death in the playoffs.

Moosie52
07-31-2008, 07:50 AM
I'm sure television would like shorter games. How about a homerun contest after a 9th inning tie? That's comparable to hockey's shootout. Each manager gets to choose which opposing pitcher throws.

ChatterRed
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM
I love when a game goes 25 innings and one team wins 2-1. ;)

Boston Red
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Worst Idea Ever

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 07:54 PM
There are no ties because we are not a communist country. Ties is for shoelaces and ropes, not baseball.

Orodle
07-31-2008, 09:10 PM
it would benefit the game? how? Everyone was in an outrage when the all-star game was a tie....imagine paying for a ticket and going to a baseball game that ends in a tie!

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 09:13 PM
it would benefit the game? how? Everyone was in an outrage when the all-star game was a tie....imagine paying for a ticket and going to a baseball game that ends in a tie!

I would Riot and kill children. Just like soccer fans.

superred
07-31-2008, 09:32 PM
I would Riot and kill children. Just like soccer fans.

me 2 :thumbup:

Oxilon
07-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Worst Idea Ever

Great post. Keep up with the good insight.

Oxilon
07-31-2008, 09:54 PM
it would benefit the game? how? Everyone was in an outrage when the all-star game was a tie....

Like I said, extra innings can be extremely detrimental to teams, even to the winning team. If games go far enough, they end up using pitchers on short rest, and in some cases, even starters. Fatigue and injuries can result, and for what? One extra inning game in the beginning of June? I'm sorry but with there being an 163 game schedule with few days off, those extra innings tacked onto pitchers (or players) do add up and can take a toll. Case in point...Aaron Harang.

Everybody was in an outrage over the all star game being a tie because there are no ties currently in the MLB rulebook. If the MLB were to initiate ties into games, the All Star game ending in a tie would be no big deal (homefield advantage is another story).

imagine paying for a ticket and going to a baseball game that ends in a tie!

Oh my God...it'd almost be like going to a NHL or NFL game. Stop the presses!

superred
07-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Like I said, extra innings can be extremely detrimental to teams, even to the winning team. If games go far enough, they end up using pitchers on short rest, and in some cases, even starters. Fatigue and injuries can result, and for what? One extra inning game in the beginning of June? I'm sorry but with there being an 163 game schedule with few days off, those extra innings tacked onto pitchers (or players) do add up and can take a toll. Case in point...Aaron Harang.

Everybody was in an outrage over the all star game being a tie because there are no ties currently in the MLB rulebook. If the MLB were to initiate ties into games, the All Star game ending in a tie would be no big deal (homefield advantage is another story).

the NFL doesnt have ties either nor does basketball

Oxilon
07-31-2008, 10:00 PM
the NFL doesnt have ties either nor does basketball

Uh...yes they do. They happen in rare instances, but even the NFL acknowledges ties. If tied, they play an extra quarter of sudden-death football (first team scores, wins). If neither team scores in that extra quarter, the game ends in a tie. And I didn't mention anything about basketball, just the NFL and NHL.

superred
07-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Uh...yes they do. They happen in rare instances, but even the NFL acknowledges ties. If tied, they play an extra quarter of sudden-death football (first team scores, wins). If neither team scores in that extra quarter, the game ends in a tie. And I didn't mention anything about basketball, just the NFL and NHL.

the NFL goes into double time if they dont finish it the first and they keep going until they cant play anymore

schmidty622
07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
the NFL goes into double time if they dont finish it the first and they keep going until they cant play anymore

Not true. Do some research, the NFL has ties. The Falcons and someone else tied just a few years ago.

levydl
08-01-2008, 12:12 AM

The NHL just did away with ties. They have shootouts now during the regular season. They implemented this new rule for the very reason that ties are boring. NFL ties are very rare, but that needs to be changed too. Also, there are 162 games in baseball.

If the game is so inconsequential, don't burn all of your pitchers. You get 8 relievers, plus you can fiddle with your roster to get fresh arms up after the fact. When Dusty used Harang and Volquez in relief, San Diego didn't have to use a single starter. Their manager can, apparently, manage. When the game gets so long that the cost-benefit equation tips to the cost side, put a position player in to pitch.