PDA

View Full Version : What a joke of a team

fewfirstchoice
08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
This Reds team has just plain given up. Its a joke to even try to watch them play. I know they really havent got anything (besides from getting back to 500) to play for but my good lord this team is terrible. Why not play because you are big leaguers and love the game. This Reds team isnt worth watching. I had to spout off about this team, sorry.

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
preaching to the choir

Jack Burton
08-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Maybe, if they keep losing, Dusty will get fired. That's the only positive spin on this crap they are calling baseball.

Chi-Town Red
08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Brutal....really, why would Dunn want to stay?

Stephenk29
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
how can our defense be this bad is my question? Cueto hasn't thrown to bad minus that ridiculous first inning we put out there.

redsfanmia
08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Dusty is not getting fired he is owed too much money.

Blue
08-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Dusty is not getting fired he is owed too much money.

If they finish in last place, and Jocketty wants him gone, I think it will happen. They may not even have to finish last, just close.

Chi-Town Red
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
If they finish in last place, and Jocketty wants him gone, I think it will happen. They may not even have to finish last, just close.Lets hope:thumbup:

reds2221
08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
going into the series with the rockies I really thought it was the reds time to do what they've needed to do for so long and reach 500. Since then they've been an absolute train wreck going 0-3 against the rockes, 1-2 against the astros and now 0-3 against the nationals (the nationals!). Its really been a painful week and a half for reds fans.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Sorry but anyone who wants to keep adam dunn is a train wreck.. his offensive minded philosophy is the reason the reds cant play defense.. honestly.. he has cost an extra 6 runs this week alone.. sorry but unless you are hitting .340, .600, and 1.10 with 60 homers and 150 rbis there is about no way you make up for his lack of defense, with hitting.. sorry it just cant be done..

like i said though.. griffey was more of a cog than people realize.. and until they blow it all up leaving only the young players.. and maybe harang and bphill as the old guys.. this team will be pitiful..

LouisvilleCARDS
08-03-2008, 04:50 PM
This team is ridiculous. I think its just apathy at this point. The team has been so bad for so long, there's no urgency, and theres no difference to them between winning or losing anymore. Show up, play, lose, go back to the clubhouse and chill and then go back to the hotel. I thought it was telling hearing Mallet's interview on Reds Live yesterday about how Baker telling him its a very laid back clubhouse. The exact type of manager and atmosphere we DON'T need right now. We need someone who will ruffle the feathers and light a fire. Like when Sweet Lou scuffled with Rob Dibble in the clubhouse. There's no emotion. Heck, the most emotion shown this year is when one of our broadcasters called out Junior. That's pretty sad in itself.

schmidty622
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Now now, lets stay positive. At least dollar dogs are coming back.

Fon Duc Tow
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
The Reds and last place...

"they're together agaiiiiiinnnnnaaaahhhh"

improbus
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
What is disappointing is that the blunders come from a different player(s) every day. One day its Phillips getting picked off and making an error. One day its Dunn misplaying the ball in LF. One day its Bruce misreading a fly ball, etc... It is hard to really pinpoint the problem. It is unbelievably frustrating to watch.

Redeye fly
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
This team is ridiculous. I think its just apathy at this point. The team has been so bad for so long, there's no urgency, and theres no difference to them between winning or losing anymore. Show up, play, lose, go back to the clubhouse and chill and then go back to the hotel. I thought it was telling hearing Mallet's interview on Reds Live yesterday about how Baker telling him its a very laid back clubhouse. The exact type of manager and atmosphere we DON'T need right now. We need someone who will ruffle the feathers and light a fire. Like when Sweet Lou scuffled with Rob Dibble in the clubhouse. There's no emotion. Heck, the most emotion shown this year is when one of our broadcasters called out Junior. That's pretty sad in itself.

Yep... as that unnamed scout said about them, "That's a very low energy team".

I believe Leo Durocher also said something about nice guys finishing last. Which doesn't always hold true, but the Reds are too "nice" regardless.

redram
08-03-2008, 06:50 PM
What is disappointing is that the blunders come from a different player(s) every day. One day its Phillips getting picked off and making an error. One day its Dunn misplaying the ball in LF. One day its Bruce misreading a fly ball, etc... It is hard to really pinpoint the problem. It is unbelievably frustrating to watch.

When it is as many players as it is screwing up day after day you have to look in one Direction. Dusty Baker. With the exception of Dunn, the rest of this team are good fielders. Edwin is about the worst of the rest. This team has ZERO Heart and that falls on the leaders. As long as Dunn is the leader we will get what we see. I like Dunn, and think he has had a good year at the plate, but when you field as bad as he does it gets the entire team down. You could see it on Cueto's face when he walked off the field on the first inning today. This team is just BAD. All Brandon Phillips wants to do is swing for the fences everytime, same with Edwin. Bad baserunning, Bad fielding and terrible offense, and it all comes from Bad management. How much worse can it get

Krawhitham
08-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Jr may have had a horrible season this year with the reds, but the other players saw better pitches when he was in the lineup.

REDblooded
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Dusty needs to get the axe. This team needs a high energy young coach. Somebody who is aggressive and nasty.

keeganbrick
08-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I stopped watching for the most part, right after the Rockies series. Time for FOOTBALL SEASON!

Jr's Boy
08-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I just wish this train wreck would forfeit the rest of the year.It's not fair to the fans spending their hard earned money to watch crap.

Ghosts of 1990
08-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Phillips shouldn't be 4 hole. its screwed up his approach at the plate and we'll be lucky if it hasnt screwed him up altogether for good.

PTI (pti)
08-03-2008, 10:20 PM
The worst part is that things will get worse before they get better. This is what happens when you have idiots at the top of the organization who inexplicably believe the solution to winning baseball games is to hire a "big name" manager and drop $46 mill on a 1-inning pitcher.

ChatterRed
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I stopped watching for the most part, right after the Rockies series. Time for FOOTBALL SEASON!

I love the Reds, but you can always tell when your interest heads elsewhere. I have paid less attention to them this past weekend than I have all season.

My mind has unexpectedly moved on to the Bengals, UC football and UC basketball.

Oh well.

big boy
08-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Jr may have had a horrible season this year with the reds, but the other players saw better pitches when he was in the lineup.

How could this possibly be true?

Redus
08-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Bingo! This team no longer deserves my attention..theyve quit. Time for me to move on to football and quit reading boxscores and checking the scores online. What utter crap. :thumbdown. Theres no pride on this team. NONE

bounty37h
08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
When it is as many players as it is screwing up day after day you have to look in one Direction. Dusty Baker. With the exception of Dunn, the rest of this team are good fielders. Edwin is about the worst of the rest. This team has ZERO Heart and that falls on the leaders. As long as Dunn is the leader we will get what we see. I like Dunn, and think he has had a good year at the plate, but when you field as bad as he does it gets the entire team down. You could see it on Cueto's face when he walked off the field on the first inning today. This team is just BAD. All Brandon Phillips wants to do is swing for the fences everytime, same with Edwin. Bad baserunning, Bad fielding and terrible offense, and it all comes from Bad management. How much worse can it get

85 errors-and counting- is good for second worst in the majors, and shows this is not a good fielding team, as you stated the fundamentals the game is based on just stink with this squad. Thank God I dont live clsoe enough to actually have to go to these games, I am enjoying my minor league ball while the Reds tank again-my baseball season tradition!

bounty37h
08-04-2008, 10:48 AM
I love the Reds, but you can always tell when your interest heads elsewhere. I have paid less attention to them this past weekend than I have all season.

My mind has unexpectedly moved on to the Bengals, UC football and UC basketball.

Oh well.

Wow, glutten for punishment???

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I am really hoping they are just on a severe hangover after the Griffey trade, but I am beginning to fear the worst.

Redleg39
08-04-2008, 11:22 AM
Sorry but anyone who wants to keep adam dunn is a train wreck.. his offensive minded philosophy is the reason the reds cant play defense.. honestly.. he has cost an extra 6 runs this week alone.. sorry but unless you are hitting .340, .600, and 1.10 with 60 homers and 150 rbis there is about no way you make up for his lack of defense, with hitting.. sorry it just cant be done..

like i said though.. griffey was more of a cog than people realize.. and until they blow it all up leaving only the young players.. and maybe harang and bphill as the old guys.. this team will be pitiful..

You are the train wreck. Dunn's the most valueable player on this team right now. He makes up for his "lack of defense" and then some with his offensive numbers. Who would you rather have out there?

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 11:45 AM
You are the train wreck. Dunn's the most valueable player on this team right now. He makes up for his "lack of defense" and then some with his offensive numbers. Who would you rather have out there?

A player who plays decent defense.. and has 15-20 homers drives in 85-90 and score 80+ times a year.. NO DOUBT..

don't know how he can have the most value.. what part of value means that besides the rays having him as a 4th option at the trade deadline.. there was ZERO market for anyone wanting him.. sorry but the uneducated fans in this town make him seem good..

more than 50% of the time he gets either a strikeout or a walk.. might as well keep his bat in the dugout.. since he is more likely to do nothing with it..

baseball is about the only profession where doing your job 30% of the time is acceptable..

ChatterRed
08-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, glutten for punishment???

The Bengals had their first losing season under Marvin last year at 7-9......and should have done better if not for a few miscues that cost them games including the worst call of the season on Justin Smith early in the season. They easily should have won 9 or 10 games and gone to the playoffs.

UC football finished 17th in the country last year. They will finish no worse than 5th in the Big East, and probably higher because of coach Brian Kelly.

UC basketball finished 8-10 in the Big East and should finish with atleast 9 or 10 wins in the Big East this year and do much better out of conference (which killed them last year).

At this point, I consider watching any of the above sports more entertaining the Reds baseball. Sorry.

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 01:28 PM
A player who plays decent defense.. and has 15-20 homers drives in 85-90 and score 80+ times a year.. NO DOUBT..

don't know how he can have the most value.. what part of value means that besides the rays having him as a 4th option at the trade deadline.. there was ZERO market for anyone wanting him.. sorry but the uneducated fans in this town make him seem good..

more than 50% of the time he gets either a strikeout or a walk.. might as well keep his bat in the dugout.. since he is more likely to do nothing with it..

baseball is about the only profession where doing your job 30% of the time is acceptable..

Horsepoo, I want you to throw out a few names of this 15-20 homer guy who plays good defense and drives in 85-90 runs. You keep mentioning this type of player, name a few guys you want out there that we can get or sign? If you take a look around, there are none otside of Carl Crawford and I highly doubt we have a chance at getting him. And they would probably have 60-70 rbi's in our lineup.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 01:44 PM
I have named a few for the past 4 years that were either traded for next to nothing or signed as a FA..
Cantu (not the best on the list, but a RH power bat.....)(playing first with votto at LF)
Giles
Soriano would be costing us the same as dunn right now..
Josh Hamilton.. we had him.. but we couldn't con the rangers into taking dunn, we had to give up hamilton..
Pat Burrell would be about the same cost as dunn.. but anupgrade, including a small upgrade in the field..
Ludwick.. had he been a starter this season would be about normal(he might not be GG in the outfield but he is still an upgrade..

Just saying all of those players, and thats not all the ones that have either been had for next to nothing or signed via FA over the last few years that would have been cheaper.. and would have allowed a greater expansion of our pitching payroll.. with a upgrade on defense helping to offset the "massive" as you all call it.. production on offense by adam dunn..

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Soriano would be on the payroll for 6 more years while getting old. He will start agining like JR. before you know it. Not to mention if you think watching Dunn at the plate is bad, watch Soriano and his gazillion awful PA's and then his cycle of rediculous hot streaks. Burrell is pretty much the right handed version of Dunn. An all of these ones you mention that came out of nowhere or could be had for nothing, that is exactly it they suddenly performed way above their past performances or expectations. If we are going to bank on our everyday left fielder performing well above expectations we are in for some real trouble. Look what happened with CF this year when we tried to get a guy for nothing to be a starter (CPatt). 10-12 mil for Dunn and we have a steal, and it does not cripple us financially because it is what he is already making and we have JR off the books along with a lot of trash. More important than finding a solid LF to replace Dunn and get rid of Dunn is finding a CFer a good SS and a C. Spending on pitching would be foolish since we already have 4 penciled in starters, and pitchers get way overpaid these days. At least Dunn can be a pretty much garunteed investment. Look what happened with CF this year when we tried to get a guy for nothing to be a starter (CPatt).

I am not sure where i called Dunn's production "massive" but he is our one power bat in the lineup and there is not one good lineup in baseball without a power bat. And let's face it, with our ballpark we aren't gonna win the way the D-Backs and Dodgers do.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Soriano would be on the payroll for 6 more years while getting old. He will start agining like JR. before you know it. Not to mention if you think watching Dunn at the plate is bad, watch Soriano and his gazillion awful PA's and then his cycle of rediculous hot streaks. Burrell is pretty much the right handed version of Dunn. An all of these ones you mention that came out of nowhere or could be had for nothing, that is exactly it they suddenly performed way above their past performances or expectations. If we are going to bank on our everyday left fielder performing well above expectations we are in for some real trouble. Look what happened with CF this year when we tried to get a guy for nothing to be a starter (CPatt). 10-12 mil for Dunn and we have a steal, and it does not cripple us financially because it is what he is already making and we have JR off the books along with a lot of trash. More important than finding a solid LF to replace Dunn and get rid of Dunn is finding a CFer a good SS and a C. Spending on pitching would be foolish since we already have 4 penciled in starters, and pitchers get way overpaid these days. At least Dunn can be a pretty much garunteed investment. Look what happened with CF this year when we tried to get a guy for nothing to be a starter (CPatt).

I am not sure where i called Dunn's production "massive" but he is our one power bat in the lineup and there is not one good lineup in baseball without a power bat. And let's face it, with our ballpark we aren't gonna win the way the D-Backs and Dodgers do.

you are right.. we are gonna do it by hitting many many many many home runs....... ohh wait we already do that.. and we haven't won a thing in GABP..

GABP makes an AVERAGE power guy look like a better than average guy.. adding 5 or more homers.. you get a few guys with speed and defense and average power hitters.. and you suddenly have a very formidable team.. with power and speed threat..

Fon Duc Tow
08-04-2008, 04:45 PM
GABP makes an AVERAGE power guy look like a better than average guy.. adding 5 or more homers.. you get a few guys with speed and defense and average power hitters.. and you suddenly have a very formidable team.. with power and speed threat..

EXACTLY.

I have never understood why people think GAB is perfect for Adam Dunn. If anything, Dunn belongs in a pitchers park because he can go yard anywhere.

At GAB, Dunn is "overkill" in my opinion, and a luxury the Reds can't afford. He would make a great DH in the #6 spot for some rich team.

I like Dunn by the way, and if the Reds were the Red Sox, I'd say sign him!

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 04:52 PM
If dunn would shorten his swing up he could still knock 440 ft homers, but also get contact far more often.. and maybe even get his B.A. up to about .285.. then he might be a premier player in the NL..

Fon Duc Tow
08-04-2008, 05:05 PM
If dunn would shorten his swing up he could still knock 440 ft homers, but also get contact far more often.. and maybe even get his B.A. up to about .285.. then he might be a premier player in the NL..

Dude, that totally reeks of effort. Sounds like you want to cut in to Dunn's fishing time. Big mistake.

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 06:12 PM
you are right.. we are gonna do it by hitting many many many many home runs....... ohh wait we already do that.. and we haven't won a thing in GABP..

I am talking one guy in the middle of the order who can mash such as Dunn, IMO he is going to be by far the cheapest we can have to do that. And then at the other positions, such as SS, CF, C get some speed and defensive studs that can handle themselves at the plate but don't have to be anything great. Something along the lines of a Mike Cameron, a slick SS. I brought up the D-backs and the Dodgers, because they don't put up many runs at all. And you look, the Dodgers traded for their big bat in Manny, the Angels did the same with Tex. I am just saying lets have one big power bat in the lineup, preferably batting 4th (hint to Dusty).

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
at 4th?! you want a guy who gets contact there.. i would be ok with batting dunn 2.. bruce 3.. then phillips 4.. but not for how much dunn will want..

aerontg
08-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Phillips shouldn't be 4 hole. its screwed up his approach at the plate and we'll be lucky if it hasnt screwed him up altogether for good.

No, Brandon will be the lucky one. He's the one that's got to undo the damage. We can just flip the channel when he comes up to bat. ;)

Ahhhorsepoo
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
No, Brandon will be the lucky one. He's the one that's got to undo the damage. We can just flip the channel when he comes up to bat. ;)

you must not ever watch dunn, or EE valentin and bruce until there are 2 strikes..

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 08:59 PM
at 4th?! you want a guy who gets contact there.. i would be ok with batting dunn 2.. bruce 3.. then phillips 4.. but not for how much dunn will want..

A ton of people seem like they don't want Dunn no matter what, if Dunn has no market value really, then why don't we wrap him up for 4-48 million, that's not overpaying. And as far as batting 4th, look at a lot of cleanup hitters in the league, they are not contact guys. Ryan Howard? I bet you would want him in our lineup though.

And contact isn't always better than a strikeout, looks at Phillips GIDP's.

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:33 PM

That's what did it for Barry Bonds! Well, that's his story, anyway.

kpresidente
08-04-2008, 09:37 PM

I think I would want Bruce in front of Dunn.

I think Dunn's numbers have a lot to do with the fact he hits 5th. If you move him up in the order, my guess his OBP would drop to around .350 and his SLG would go up to about .580. I also think you'd see a BA around .260. More hits, less walks.

Maldez
08-07-2008, 01:36 PM
If they finish in last place, and Jocketty wants him gone, I think it will happen. They may not even have to finish last, just close.

I think Castellini is ballsy enough to dump Baker, in spite of the millions he'd have to eat. What do you gain by retaining a manager who sucks?

I can dream can't I?

demas863
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Dusty needs to get the axe. This team needs a high energy young coach. Somebody who is aggressive and nasty.

How about an old guy - Frank Robinson. It would be great to see him back in a Reds' uniform. I'm sure Majewski would be delighted.

Jr's Boy
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
It ain't like Dusty had a lot to work with when he came here.Now the lineup construction is questionable at times,as well as Patterson batting lead off is ignorant.But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what the GM comes up with next year.I for one am sick and tired of revolving door management,and this team isn't exactly going anywhere anytime soon.
This knee jerk reactionary ''lets fire Dusty''posts are getting way too old.

Moosie52
08-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree. Baker isn't any worse than any of the other managers we've had in the last 15 years. I don't think Jesus could win with this team.

ChatterRed
08-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I never liked LaRussa, but I think he'd be good for this team.

Fon Duc Tow
08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
I never liked LaRussa, but I think he'd be good for this team.

I'll tell you one thing, if LaRussa came here and laid an egg, then there would be zero doubt at that point as to where to lay the blame for the ineptness.

There wouldn't be any "fire Tony" threads. More like "even LaRussa can't win here."

Jr's Boy
08-08-2008, 01:24 AM
Looks like Larussa would be the only thing that could save this team.That man seems to just get players to give their all for him.Everybody in that lineup and bench contributes in some way or the other.Pujols was hurt,they kept on truckin.Rotation banged up,Duncan gets it done via smoke and mirrors journey men such as Jeff Weaver and others.

bgwilly31
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
It ain't like Dusty had a lot to work with when he came here.Now the lineup construction is questionable at times,as well as Patterson batting lead off is ignorant.But I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and see what the GM comes up with next year.I for one am sick and tired of revolving door management,and this team isn't exactly going anywhere anytime soon.
This knee jerk reactionary ''lets fire Dusty''posts are getting way too old.

A very LAID back style manager is the Absolute worst type for this team.

redsfanmia
08-08-2008, 06:46 PM
A very LAID back style manager is the Absolute worst type for this team.

Is Vern Rapp still alive? He would be the perfect fit for this team.

Chi-Town Red
08-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Dusty isnt going anywhere at least for another year...looks like we have to suck it up and take it

FlyerFanatic
08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Dusty isnt going anywhere at least for another year...looks like we have to suck it up and take it

i will deal with that...if patterson is still around after this season...i dont know what i'll do

just saw we hired former mariners gm who was just fired. not good news....

JR+Rose=G.O.A.T
08-08-2008, 09:46 PM
If we had a winning season something just wouldn't be right ,If we ever get to .500 or better at least we know to get in a bunker because it will be the end of the world!

ChatterRed
08-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Will the way this team finishes determine anything? such as Dusty sticking around? or does he get a free pass?

FlyerFanatic
08-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Will the way this team finishes determine anything? such as Dusty sticking around? or does he get a free pass?

pretty sure dusty is around next year. with the hiring of seattles gm i'm now worried more about that. i wonder if walt has told cast hes thinking of stepping down

ChatterRed
08-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Walt probably realized this team is in bigger deep doo doo than he originally thought. LOL. ;)

bgwilly31
08-09-2008, 12:26 PM
So who can no longer watch every game?

Every game i was able to sit down and watch from the beginning of the season to now. I did. Through and through. I would say i missed less than 10 games this season.

But now.

I find myself doing other things and just periodically checking the scores and most of the time laughing.

Anybody else in the same boat?

ChatterRed
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I gave up after last weekend. Although I continue to check boxscores and read this board, but not quite as often.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-11-2008, 09:51 AM
i went up to dayton yesterday and looked at the citylife statues and saw a homemade boat race.. first time in 15 years i haven't listened to at least part of the game on radio.. FIRST TIME IN 15 years.. thats a big thing.. considering i have listened to at least part of the 162 games the last 15 years..