PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Pages : [1] 2

jesusfan
07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8398348/Reds,-ChiSox-agree-on-Griffey-trade,-await-approval

Wow, that could be huge!

Caseyfan21
07-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Wow, interesting to see the return. I always enjoyed Griffey's stay but I imagine he finishes out the year and possibly retires.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
Wow! That was fast. I wonder if any of the things that went on over the weekend sped things up?

paulrichjr
07-31-2008, 08:11 AM
I'm ready to end this chapter in Cincy. Now the Dunn chapter is a different story.

edabbs44
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
wow

jesusfan
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
If we can get a good player in return for Griffey there is no reason to trade Dunn also... unless of course the Rays want to overpay I'll take it...

nate
07-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Wow!

Caseyfan21
07-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Along with players coming here I wonder how much $$ will each team be on the hook for salary wise?

Redhook
07-31-2008, 08:16 AM
I'm in absolute shock! I don't think I'll believe it until I see him on the field in White and Black.

I hope it happens.

Cyclone792
This was pretty much the last thing I expected to see, though I wouldn't be surprised if Griffey nixes the deal.

I must say, if he approves the deal then I'll be rooting for the White Sox this fall.

kaldaniels
Will he approve it???

LvJ
07-31-2008, 08:19 AM
wow!!!

wheels
07-31-2008, 08:21 AM
Holy Mackeral.

Redhook
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Will he approve it???

He better. He'll get grilled if he doesn't.

He's always said he wants to win so now he has a chance to prove it by going to a good team. If he turns it down, it'll look like he doesn't care about winning and only wants to rack up stats.

HotCorner
07-31-2008, 08:22 AM
My 5 yo son will be crushed. :( But this is a good move for this franchise and Jr.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM
Will he approve it???

If he doesn't then he doesn't want to play in the playoffs. He will have a real good chance with the ChiSox. He has no chance with the Reds.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Will he approve it???

For his own sake, I hope he does. I know he's picky on where he wants to play, but it's maybe 10 weeks at most that he has to sacrifice for another shot at the postseason.

I suspect we won't hear anything for a bit though. Marty mentioned numerous times the past few nights how the Reds wouldn't get to Washington until around 4am this morning, and how most guys wouldn't get to bed until around 5am. I suspect we won't know until the early afternoon, because Griffey's probably either sleeping on it now, or he's sleeping and doesn't even know what's going on at all.

rdiersin
07-31-2008, 08:24 AM
He better. He'll get grilled if he doesn't.

He's always said he wants to win so now he has a chance to prove it by going to a good team. If he turns it down, it'll look like he doesn't care about winning and only wants to rack up stats.

How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati? Why he would want to with these broadcasters I don't know. I hope that he accepts, it sure would be nice to see him playing in the postseason.

nate
07-31-2008, 08:26 AM
What kind of return could we get from the Sox?

deltachi8
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
If true, even knowing it is the right thing to do, this will sting a bit personally.

puca
07-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Wow! That was fast. I wonder if any of the things that went on over the weekend sped things up?

I think so. I'm guessing that Bob pushed for Wayne to trade him after his widely publicized gesture. That may have been his reason for going to Houston.

The return won't be much. Griffey doesn't appear to much (if any) of an upgrade for the White Sox. I think they are basically taking him off our hands, though undoubtedly we will need to pay them to do it.

Redhook
07-31-2008, 08:30 AM
How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati?

He could, but it would be pretty pathetic if you ask me. He has always said he wants a ring. He'll have a chance now. He has zero chance with the Reds. He needs to accept this trade. It's only 2 months of his life.

Like you said, I don't know why on Earth he would really care about finishing his career in Cincy. Yes, he grew up here and his dad played here, but his time here has been pretty rough.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. He might be on the verge of getting his chance.

The Reds have traded Griffey to the White Sox, pending his approval. Griffey will decide Thursday morning whether he will approve the deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not known what the Reds would receive in return.
Griffey, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club, has the right to block any deal. The White Sox attempted to acquire him from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a half-game, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, 36, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.

Sad sad day in Cincinnati... :(

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 08:32 AM
How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati?

Sure he could, but Junior has stated repeatedly his desire to win a title.

princeton
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm guessing that Bob pushed for Wayne to trade him.

Wayne's back? awesome

I'm with you-- there'll be no return, unless the Reds kicked in a lot of cash.

regardless of the return, I like the move. if Jr ends the season with the Reds, we won't know the effect of playing without him-- because Dusty's going to play him.

also, the Reds need to play hungrier. Can't do that with Jr around.

best of luck to Jr.

Redhook
07-31-2008, 08:35 AM
Ken Rosenthal:

Sad sad day in Cincinnati... :(

Not for many, like myself. I'm ready for a new era of Reds baseball.

I know it's not JR's fault, but when I think of him and the Reds I think of losing. That's all it's been, unfortunately.

This team needs some major changes. JR leaving is just the start.

RFS62
07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
What a shocking and sad way for Junior to leave town, if it goes down. So many people will remember this last controversy with Brantley and it sure looks to me like it all came down on Bob's visit to Houston.

Junior's tenure here has been a Greek tragedy.

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
What a shocking and sad way for Junior to leave town, if it goes down. So many people will remember this last controversy with Brantley and it sure looks to me like it all came down on Bob's visit to Houston.

It'd be sad if he were being traded to a non-contender. Instead, he's being given a chance to compete for a title. I'm sorry Junior's tenure in Cincy wasn't a more successful one, but at this point in his career, I as a Reds fan have no regrets about his departure and wish him all the best.

reds44
07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Wow, definatley a mix bagged of emotions. If we were going to trade him, the southside would have been the place I perfer. I want to see the prospects.

Gotta assume he approves it.

princeton
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM

I disagree. It made sense to get him away from Dusty. The timing is unfortunate, but the clock expires tonight.

agreed. the best laid plans.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Sure he could, but Junior has stated repeatedly his desire to win a title.

But in those same statements he finishes it with, ..here in Cincinnati.

Junior my guess will talk it over with the family then decide. He'll probably accept the deal if the White Sox let him play some CF as Rosenthal suggest and for obvious reason that the White Sox are in 1st.

redsmetz
07-31-2008, 08:41 AM
I'm with those who are saddened by this, but I also understand that the time has come for Griffey to move on; both for us and for himself. And I highly doubt that the incident with Brantley precipitated this move, although it certainly underscores the reason why this chapter in Griffey's career and in Reds history needs to end.

Moving Griffey during this season has been understood throughout this season. Interestingly (and it's possible we're not getting the full picture), I see no mention of the approval of MLB being required, which says to me that it's possible there's no salary pick up by the Reds. The commish needs to sign off on money over $1 Million. Again, though, it's possible the Griffey approval is overriding that aspect of the deal (or they may have already gotten the go ahead from MLB).

GoReds
I would think Bob's visit to Houston was to ask Griffey if he would accept a trade to a contender if a trade presented itself. That certainly would be the classy way to approach someone of Junior's caliber.

rdiersin
He could, but it would be pretty pathetic if you ask me. He has always said he wants a ring. He'll have a chance now. He has zero chance with the Reds. He needs to accept this trade. It's only 2 months of his life.

Like you said, I don't know why on Earth he would really care about finishing his career in Cincy. Yes, he grew up here and his dad played here, but his time here has been pretty rough.

I still don't see how it is pathetic. He's earned that right. It's not like it really hurts the Reds if he actually stays. They can still part ways at the end of the year and I severly doubt they get any sort of return on him (unlike the last time with the White Sox when the Reds were reported to be getting Chris Young). Again, I hope he accepts it and gets a chance at a ring, but stranger things have happened.

RFS62
It'd be sad if he were being traded to a non-contender. Instead, he's being given a chance to compete for a title. I'm sorry Junior's tenure in Cincy wasn't a more successful one, but at this point in his career, I as a Reds fan have no regrets about his departure and wish him all the best.

What I mean by sad is if he's being traded because of the flap with the announcers. Would this deal have been made if all that hadn't happened?

I'm sure Walt was shopping him before that, but if he was told to take any deal he had to to move him after the blow up with Brantley, that would be very sad.

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
But in those same statements he finishes it with, ..here in Cincinnati.

And that's clearly not going to happen so.....

What's your priority Junior? If he were 5 years younger, it might be different. At 38, his options are limited.

jojo
I'm not sure that Ozzie and Jr are a good fit.....

puca
Wayne's back? awesome

Oops.....livin in the past

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
I would think Bob's visit to Houston was to ask Griffey if he would accept a trade to a contender if a trade presented itself. That certainly would be the classy way to approach someone of Junior's caliber.

I agree.. a first ballot Hall of Famer.. a baseball icon. Here's to Caps turned backwards, big smiles, and #24 White Sox Jerseys...

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 08:44 AM
What I mean by sad is if he's being traded because of the flap with the announcers. Would this deal have been made if all that hadn't happened?

I'm sure Walt was shopping him before that, but if he was told to take any deal he had to to move him after the blow up with Brantley, that would be very sad.

Understood - I guess I'm just not putting much into this whole Brantley/Junior flap. And I really don't think the feelings of a Reds announcer is helping to chart the team's course going forward.

Roy Tucker
07-31-2008, 08:45 AM
I disagree. It made sense to get him away from Dusty. The timing is unfortunate, but the clock expires tonight.

Just a nit, but I'd think Junior could have been traded after the deadline. He'd most likely pass through waivers. JMO.

Bittersweet ending for Junior's tenure in Cincinnati. What could have been. Best for the Reds and best for Junior though. Dusty will have to find another #3 hitter.

Raisor
07-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Great Shades of Elvis!!!

I don't think I need coffee this morning.

LvJ
07-31-2008, 08:48 AM
How can I get any sleep now?

NJReds
07-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Wow. Just wow.

I remember how exciting it was when "The Kid" came home. Obviously things didn't work out as planned.

Even with his limited range in RF and slowing bat, there's something sad about Jr. leaving the Reds in the middle of the season and on the road.

membengal
07-31-2008, 08:52 AM
Wonder if the bust Brian Anderson isn't due for a change of scenery.

durl
07-31-2008, 08:53 AM
Wow. I'm feeling mixed emotions as well. I love the idea of him retiring a Red but I believe he'll get a chance at the post season with the White Sox, and he deserves to play in October.

princeton
07-31-2008, 08:56 AM
Just a nit, but I'd think Junior could have been traded after the deadline. He'd most likely pass through waivers. JMO.

probably, but it complicates something that's already pretty complicated. If I'm the White Sox and I really want a lefty bat, I don't wait on the Reds to let a cooling-off between Jr and Brantley occur, in addition to waiver resolution, Jr's OK, cash to be OKd by the commissioner, etc.

by the way, if I'm the Reds' FO, I get rid of these announcers. They make my job tougher.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM
This deal looks like a big deal because it involves Junior, but it's pretty small potatoes for a team needing a lot more than salary relief.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm no longer allowed to sleep....I miss stuff. :)

Approve it, Griffey, for you and for the Reds....let's end this sour chapter

Kc61
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
This makes sense for everyone involved. I assume the Reds and Chisox would divide up the buy out money for KG's option year, so cash will likely go with KG in the deal. The more cash the Reds pay, the better the prospect in return, I'd guess. If the Sox are paying the buyout, I wouldn't expect much of a player in return.

Only hang up I see is the lack of an obvious starting position for KG on the Chisox. He may be unhappy going there as a bench player, which could be what they have in mind for him.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 09:03 AM
No major news source is confirming this?

Roy Tucker
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM
probably, but it complicates something that's already pretty complicated. If I'm the White Sox and I really want a lefty bat, I don't wait on the Reds to let a cooling-off between Jr and Brantley occur, in addition to waiver resolution, Jr's OK, cash to be OKd by the commissioner, etc.

All very true. Strike while the iron is hot, Occam's razor, and all that. Like I said, just a nit.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 09:04 AM

Both Rosenthal at MSN and Heyman at SI are confirming it. With two different sources now saying the same thing, I'd have to think it's true.

princeton
07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
This deal looks like a big deal because it involves Junior, but it's pretty small potatoes for a team needing a lot more than salary relief.

I think that it completely alters the team

Jr's gone, Hamilton's gone, and the OF corners are solved.

that makes it Dunn's team, if he wants it.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
I'd take Brian Anderson and call it a day.

Wonder where the Sox would play him.

camisadelgolf
07-31-2008, 09:06 AM
How would this make sense for the Sox? They already have Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Carlos Quentin, Nick Swisher, and Jermaine Dye.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
I think that it completely alters the team

Jr's gone, Hamilton's gone, and the OF corners are solved.

that makes it Dunn's team, if he wants it.

It accomplishes two months earlier what would have happened in October anyway. The Reds aren't doing anything this season regardless.

Addition by subtraction isn't nearly enough to save the Reds this season.

RedLegSuperStar
07-31-2008, 09:07 AM
well as a Junior fan mostly and as a Reds fan i'm glad to say he didn't go to the Washington Nationals!

Always Red
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
How would this make sense for the Sox? They already have Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Carlos Quentin, Nick Swisher, and Jermaine Dye.

Unless the Reds are throwing a lot of money in and getting a CF-type OF (Anderson) back?

Redny
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Because of previous interest look for Brian Anderson to be involved.

Chip R
07-31-2008, 09:09 AM

The Yankees and Red Sox aren't going to cover themselves, you know. ;)

OldXOhio
It accomplishes two months earlier what would have happened in October anyway. The Reds aren't doing anything this season regardless.

Then perhaps part of it simply is as a goodwill gesture towards the future HOF'er. Good for the Reds brass if so.

redsfan4445
a sad day for me.. i just hope all the Griffey bashers are very happy.. Dunn will be gone too and the Reds offense will be not as good next year with two power hitters gone.. good luck getting out of last place next year!!.. i will root for the White Sox.. hope the reds actually got soemthing in return and not junk..

rotnoid
Wow. Just wow.

I remember how exciting it was when "The Kid" came home. Obviously things didn't work out as planned.

Even with his limited range in RF and slowing bat, there's something sad about Jr. leaving the Reds in the middle of the season and on the road.
those were my feelings exactly. I was just running through that day in my head. The endless optimism that it brought. Never would have thought it would come down to this. Best of luck to Junior, whatever he choses. It's been a true pleasure to watch him play over these past years. Something I'll keep with me always. You always remember the greats, I'll remember this.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 09:10 AM
I'd take Brian Anderson and call it a day.

Wonder where the Sox would play him.

Indicators are he'd be a reserve player, or possibly in CF, with some DH...

Could he handle NOT being a starter?

mbgrayson
I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds future, but my overwhelming feeling is a deep sadness. Somehow, I just hate to see Junior's tenure in Cincinnati end this way. We all hoped that he would bring the Reds a championship, and the fact that it didn't happen was not his fault. He has been a lightening rod because of his high pay check, his injuries, and the failure to meet those expectations.

I was in Seattle last year when Junior went back there for the first time. I have never seen anyhting like the love that city has for him. Of course he played some great years there. (Look at my signature, that is him is Seattle blue). It seemed like almost everyone in the place was wearing a Griffey jersy, half Reds and half Mariners. The place went nuts when he hit two homers that day against their home team. (Course the Mariners still won...)

I don't agree with his public expressions toward Brantley, but I still hate for that to be the note that a man like Ken Griffey Jr. leaves on. Very sad.

Falls City Beer
Then perhaps part of it simply is as a goodwill gesture towards the future HOF'er. Good for the Reds brass if so.

That's what it is. But I'm selfish--I don't care about player pampering. I want good stuff for the Reds, not a karmic stroking.

KYRedsFan
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome to Chicago Jr! Hopefully we can be more welcoming than Cincy.

Caveat Emperor
07-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Sad end to the homecoming that was supposed to revitalize baseball in this town. I'll always root for Jr., no matter what color uniform he dons.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 09:13 AM

Could he handle NOT being a starter?my guess would be no

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 09:15 AM
That's what it is. But I'm selfish--I don't care about player pampering. I want good stuff for the Reds, not a karmic stroking.

No doubt - but for a guy who's left half of his anatomy laying on the collective turfs of Cinergy Field and the GAB, it's ok to embrace a little karma here.

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 09:16 AM

Konerko is hitting .214/.312/.349.

I have mixed feelings, but Junior will get a shot and the Reds will get something out of it. It would be nice to head down to the Cell and have somebody to root for.

Danny Serafini
07-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Note to self: do not taunt Jeff Brantley. He is more powerful than he appears.

flyer85
I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds futureat this point it hardly matters. The only reason to deal him is to give him a chance to be on a playoff team.

Chip R
I know that Ken Griffey Jr. leaving is probably needed for the Reds future, but my overwhelming feeling is a deep sadness. Somehow, I just hate to see Junior's tenure in Cincinnati end this way. We all hoped that he would bring the Reds a championship, and the fact that it didn't happen was not his fault. He has been a lightening rod because of his high pay check, his injuries, and the failure to meet those expectations.

If it happens, I think it's better this way. That way there's no wondering whether the Reds will pick his option up during the offseason and people weighing in with the pros and cons of keeping him. It won't drag out for the whole offseason and you don't have to worry about insulting his priide by buying out his deal. Walt can go into the offseason knowing what his payroll's going to be.

Reds4Life
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM

Could he handle NOT being a starter?

If those are the circumstances, then my guess is he will not approve the trade.

KYRedsFan
07-31-2008, 09:18 AM
Pauly is quickly wearing people's patience. CF has been a revolving door all year and Thome is as much an injury risk as Jr. at times. Dye and Quentin are playing every day. He'll be a role player at DH and CF to play in the postseason, or he'll languish in Cincy. Choice is his evidently.

TRF
07-31-2008, 09:20 AM
IF Jr. accepts this trade, the next thing I do if I am Reds ownership is fire Brantley. It cannot appear that a broadcaster, especially a bad one can run a player out of town.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
IF Jr. accepts this trade, the next thing I do if I am Reds ownership is fire Brantley.

For what? Pointing out the obvious? Maybe the "fans should boo louder" was a little far, but the jist of what he said was right on...

Griffey should have been gone a few seasons ago, to the same team, but Uncle Carl nixed that deal...

TRF
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
For what? Pointing out the obvious?

Griffey should have been gone a few seasons ago, to the same team, but Uncle Carl nixed that deal...

it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

He is better on TV that radio, but that's damning him with faint praise.

I was in broadcasting for almost 20 years, and I've rarely ego spill out on the air like his does. off camera/closed mic sure, but on the air? That's reserved for bigger dogs than Jeff freaking Brantley.

princeton
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM

I thought so at the time, but in hindsight, it's probably good that we kept him. The Reds were bad for too many reasons, and in spite of that Jr gives nearly all fans a good feeling and someone to talk about. and he kept himself on the field, which I don't think was as easy as it sounds.

Kc61
07-31-2008, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=TRF;1706891]it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

QUOTE]

I think the appearance problem comes if they do fire Brantley for being outspoken. That's when the criticism of the team would come.

cincrazy
it's an appearance thing. Plus add in he's atrocius, screaming how unclutch a player as said player is belting a HR.

He is better on TV that radio, but that's damning him with faint praise.

I was in broadcasting for almost 20 years, and I've rarely ego spill out on the air like his does. off camera/closed mic sure, but on the air? That's reserved for bigger dogs than Jeff freaking Brantley.

I tend to agree with you. I'm all for Brantley being honest and telling it like it is, but he often takes it too far, and needs to tone his act down a bit.

redsfan30
For me personally, this could be an awful day.

membengal
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM

This season is toast. This, and any other move they might make today, has nothing to do with saving the season.

WVRed
07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
An idea on the return.

If Adam Dunn is dealt as well, we will have a hole at the corner outfield spot. The Reds have been trying to cut into the market here in Parkersburg for the past couple of years, which is mostly Pirates territory.

Nick Swisher could use a change of scenery, plus the thought of playing closer to his hometown. Put Swisher or even Votto in LF, and the other at first.

That being said, the White Sox gave up most of their farm system to get Nick, and his salary wouldn't come close to what the Reds would probably want.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 09:32 AM
my gut feeling tells me Jr nixes the deal.

Reds will get little in return for Jr if the deal does go through.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM

He made the comments when Griffey botched a second fly ball....Griffey made his "response" during the HR.

princeton
07-31-2008, 09:33 AM
This season is toast. This, and any other move they might make today, has nothing to do with saving the season.

exactly.

I'm hoping that it breaks the ice with Dunn, and/or fastforwards the search for replacements.

also, it's time to see what Dusty can do without an 800 lb gorilla in the room.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 09:34 AM

That won't make him look good, when he talks about how important winning is...

RedLegSuperStar
Ken Griffey Jr. - Cincinnati Reds CF/RF
Feburary 10th, 2000 - July 31st, 2008*

*Pending

RedsBaron
I tend to agree with you. I'm all for Brantley being honest and telling it like it is, but he often takes it too far, and needs to tone his act down a bit.

There is a difference between "telling it like it is" and simply shooting off your mouth and not even being correct in what you say. The "cowboy" should be told to ride off in the sunset.

Caseyfan21
a sad day for me.. i just hope all the Griffey bashers are very happy.. Dunn will be gone too and the Reds offense will be not as good next year with two power hitters gone.. good luck getting out of last place next year!!.. i will root for the White Sox.. hope the reds actually got soemthing in return and not junk..

Griffey's offense can be replaced. There are a lot of MLB players that can be signed cheaply that can hit .250 with 25 homers. And even can be an upgrade on his defense too.

You do bring up a valid point on Dunn though.

flyer85
That won't make him look good, when he talks about how important winning is...at this point and with the latest flap I doubt that he cares.

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
He made the comments when Griffey botched a second fly ball....Griffey made his "response" during the HR.Matt, I think TRF is referring to comments made on TV before EE hit the HR to win a ballgame earlier this year.

Caseyfan21
07-31-2008, 09:35 AM
An idea on the return.

If Adam Dunn is dealt as well, we will have a hole at the corner outfield spot. The Reds have been trying to cut into the market here in Parkersburg for the past couple of years, which is mostly Pirates territory.

Nick Swisher could use a change of scenery, plus the thought of playing closer to his hometown. Put Swisher or even Votto in LF, and the other at first.

That being said, the White Sox gave up most of their farm system to get Nick, and his salary wouldn't come close to what the Reds would probably want.

I'd love to get Swisher. Former OSU Buckeye and a guy that always seems to play hard. The city of Cincinnati would love him.

princeton
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd love to get Swisher..

not a chance

Caseyfan21
07-31-2008, 09:37 AM

My guess is one of them comes to the Reds possibly.

danforsman
Jim Scott indicated on WLW this morning when talking to Paul Daugherty that Junior was seen "saying his goodbyes" to the team last night, which would certainly imply that he's going to take the deal.

Caseyfan21
not a chance

I know. :)

Would be a great deal though.

BCubb2003
07-31-2008, 09:38 AM
It'll be weird to see Griffey in Cooperstown with a White Sox cap.

OnBaseMachine
Wow. This is shocking.

gonelong
The best thing for everyone involved, I think, is for Griffey to approve the trade ... so it probably won't happen. Such is the plight of a Reds fan. I can think of 15-20 upsides of the trade going through, and not a single downside (other than the Reds actually throwing someone else into the deal).

GL

flyer85
if the deal goes down I wouldn't be surprised to see Weathers in it as well. With Linebrink going to the DL the Sox need another RH reliever.

RichRed
With the Reds trading Dunn's good buddy, will Dunn be even more inclined to say, "I've had it with this town?"

Also, can the White Sox really be considering playing Jr. in CF, as was being discussed on Mike & Mike this morning?

And finally, introducing your new Cincinnati Reds everyday centerfielder and leadoff hitter, Corey Patterson!

redsmetz
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM

If Griffey's agent lets him know about the faux ad on WLW already this morning which finishes with asking the question who the next "half asser" will be for the Reds, he'll approve it immediately. I am so sick of WLW turning everything into a joke and I can't imagine why Griffey would ever want to have anything to do with this city and the half ass radio station that broadcasts the team's games, not to mention the blustering announcers hired by the Reds.

From a baseball standpoint, this trade makes perfect sense, regardless of what we get in return. Due to the circumstances that have occurred since 200, the contract has been long an albatross for both parties. But if I'm Griffey, I shake the dust from my feet and get the heck out of Dodge.

TRF
07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
He made the comments when Griffey botched a second fly ball....Griffey made his "response" during the HR.

I was referring to the Encarnacion HR earlier this year.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 09:40 AM
And finally, introducing your new Cincinnati Reds everyday centerfielder and leadoff hitter, Corey Patterson!
Jerry Hairston ... until he gets hurt again.

Matt700wlw
I was referring to the Encarnacion HR earlier this year.

He showed Brantley up with his bat....I have no problem with that.

I thought it was kind of funny :)

wally post
If Griffey's agent lets him know about the faux ad on WLW already this morning which finishes with asking the question who the next "half asser" will be for the Reds, he'll approve it immediately. I am so sick of WLW turning everything into a joke and I can't imagine why Griffey would ever want to have anything to do with this city and the half ass radio station that broadcasts the team's games, not to mention the blustering announcers hired by the Reds.

From a baseball standpoint, this trade makes perfect sense, regardless of what we get in return. Due to the circumstances that have occurred since 200, the contract has been long an albatross for both parties. But if I'm Griffey, I shake the dust from my feet and get the heck out of Dodge.

I agree with you. I hope he goes (accepts the trade) and I hope he ends up in the World Series. That might offset the sadness of his tenure with the Reds.

Raisor
07-31-2008, 09:41 AM
If Griffey's agent lets him know about the faux ad on WLW already this morning which finishes with asking the question who the next "half asser" will be for the Reds, he'll approve it immediately. .

You stay classy WLW.

Nugget
Sad Day for the REDS. After such a good game too. Hopefully the REDS get something in return but I don't think so.

I see the Junior bashers are out in full force.

If it is true sorry to see you go Junior - I hope to see you back here for a REDS Hall of Fame induction maybe I'll get to see more of you in the AL towns. You have made the last eight years of watching REDS baseball a pleasure and for you and your family I hope the future brings many more enjoyable years.

RichRed
Jerry Hairston ... until he gets hurt again.

Optimist. ;)

TRF
07-31-2008, 09:42 AM
He showed Brantley up....I have no problem with that.

I thought it was kind of funny :)

I bet most of the clubhouse thought showing him up was, but that Brantley's comments were unprofessional.

I use unprofessional, as the word filter would asterisk out the word I wanted to use.

OnBaseMachine
I love the heck out of Griffey but I hope he approves this deal. It not only gives him a chance to win a World Series but it opens a spot for Chris Dickerson to show what he's got in CF.

princeton
I agree with you. I hope he goes (accepts the trade) and I hope he ends up in the World Series. That might offset the sadness of his tenure with the Reds.

agreed. Go Junior. Go, Junior.

cumberlandreds
It'll be weird to see Griffey in Cooperstown with a White Sox cap.

IMO,he will wear a Mariner cap in Cooperstown. That's where he had his best years.

mbgrayson
07-31-2008, 09:44 AM
I wonder if trading Griffey increases the chances of re-signing Dunn.

Although I assume we will eat some of Griffey's salary in the deal, we may still free up enough money to be able to afford to keep Dunn. Also, it will be all the more important to keep Dunn's bat around.

redsfan30
I didn't hear the commercial you're talking about on WLW, but if true.....what a joke.

There's no chance he doesn't approve this trade.

KittyDuran
IMO,he will wear a Mariner cap in Cooperstown. That's where he had his best years.Knowing BCubb he had his tongue firming in cheek typing that...:D

Team Clark
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
wow... that came together quick. So much for him wanting to go to Tampa. My guess is he will accept. Just a guess.

princeton
07-31-2008, 09:45 AM
I love the heck out of Griffey but I hope he approves this deal. It not only gives him a chance to win a World Series but it opens a spot for Chris Dickerson to show what he's got in CF.

:rolleyes:

you don't trade Jr because of a Chris Dickerson, but I suppose at least that it'll shut up the Chris Dickerson lovers.

as for those Drew Stubbs lovers....

WVRed
07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
You stay classy WLW.

I'd almost pull for Griffey to reject the trade and play "Operation Shutdown" the rest of the season to spite Brantley, the Brenamen's, and WLW.

bucksfan2
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
Sad Day for the REDS. After such a good game too. Hopefully the REDS get something in return but I don't think so.

I see the Junior bashers are out in full force.

If it is true sorry to see you go Junior - I hope to see you back here for a REDS Hall of Fame induction maybe I'll get to see more of you in the AL towns. You have made the last eight years of watching REDS baseball a pleasure and for you and your family I hope the future brings many more enjoyable years.

How is this a sad day for the Reds? IMO this is the kind of sentiment that kept the reds in a run for a decade. When you make deals based upon the public wants instead of the team wants you are making a big mistake.

Griffey was fun to watch but he was awful in the outfield. His best days were behind him and him hitting in the 3 hole hurt. It was fun going to the stadium to watch one of the greatest players of all time but the Reds are better off without him.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 09:57 AM
This deal has nothing to do with Brantley and everything to do with saving $8 million. Castellini wants to recoup a piece of some of the dog chow contracts he's had to eat.

Team Clark
07-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Jim Scott indicated on WLW this morning when talking to Paul Daugherty that Junior was seen "saying his goodbyes" to the team last night, which would certainly imply that he's going to take the deal.

Junior leans toward drama so that is not a surprise. Not knocking the guy, I just know how he is....

TRF
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM
This deal has nothing to do with Brantley and everything to do with saving $8 million. Castellini wants to recoup a piece of some of the dog chow contracts he's had to eat.

maybe. I'd still fire Brantley. Inmates don't run the asylum. plus he's a crappy announcer.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 10:00 AM

That's impossible...you mean it's not big bad media's fault??

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:07 AM
I wouldn't mind a 2B Chris Getz/CF Brian Anderson return...though I have a feeling Griffey won't approve the deal.

OldXOhio
Cheez n rice, enough w/ the Brantley theories in this thread.

TRF
That's impossible...you mean it's not big bad media's fault??

ugh.

I mean I know you work there and all but geez. A few of us were in your business for a long time, and yeah the media actually has a bit of influence.

Think back to comments made by Chip Caray when he was with the Cubs. That family name is an institution in Chicago and that team ran him out for disparaging comments he made on the air. Marty can get away with that crap (though he shouldn't be allowed to) Brantley is a sucktastic announcer on top of being an egomainac.

Bob Borkowski
07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Paul Daugherty will be on with Mike McConnell during the 10-11am hour to talk about the possible deal on WLW.

Just a heads-up.

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 10:09 AM
Cheez n rice, enough w/ the Brantley theories in this thread.Agreed... And Matt and TRF, before it gets out of hand, take it private. Thanks!

WVRed
07-31-2008, 10:10 AM
I wouldn't mind a 2B Chris Getz/CF Brian Anderson return...though I have a feeling Griffey won't approve the deal.

I think he will. This isn't Barry Larkin getting a 3 yr 27 million deal to turn down the Mets. This is being handled completely different.

SirFelixCat
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Wow...it's 7am and I just woke up to see this on ESPN News.

Last thing I expected to see, but tbh, I really hope it happens. Both for the Reds and for him. I'll be pulling for the White Sox if it does go thru...

Pretty damn cool that he hit a truly majestic, classic "Jr." HR yesterday in his last game as a Red too...

Do we have any realistic clue as to the return, if anything?

KittyDuran
07-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Do we have any realistic clue as to the return, if anything?Zilch...

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:15 AM
The White Sox have a thin farm system but 2B Chris Getz, OF Jose Martinez, and LHP Aaron Poreda are their most interesting prospects. The Reds official website speculates Brian Anderson could be part of the deal. He's an outstanding defensive center fielder but his bat hasn't lived up to expectations yet. Maybe a change of scenery could do him good.

Krusty
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Finally, the Reds can shift Bruce to RF. Hopefully the Reds acquired a speedy centerfielder that can bat leadoff from the White Sox. The money saved by no longer having to deal with Griffey's contract will allow the Reds get in serious discussions after the season to extend Adam Dunn.

sonny
07-31-2008, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't mind Brian Anderson. Cant be much worse than CP. Of course, I wouldn't be much worse that Patterson.

Wheelhouse
07-31-2008, 10:18 AM
Do you thing we might get this guy? http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Cole-Armstrong.shtml

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't mind Brian Anderson. Cant be much worse than CP. Of course, I wouldn't be much worse that Patterson.

Anderson and Patterson are essentially the same player. They have their uses, but those uses are limited.

smith288
07-31-2008, 10:21 AM
How is this a sad day for the Reds? IMO this is the kind of sentiment that kept the reds in a run for a decade. When you make deals based upon the public wants instead of the team wants you are making a big mistake.

Griffey was fun to watch but he was awful in the outfield. His best days were behind him and him hitting in the 3 hole hurt. It was fun going to the stadium to watch one of the greatest players of all time but the Reds are better off without him.
It's a sad day because one of the greatest players ever is no longer going to play for my favorite team. He ain't like he used to obviously and I hope he accepts and succeeds iin obtaining his ring but there's nothing wrong with being sad to see him leave.

Wheelhouse
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Or this guy? I have a feeling it might be a catcher... http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/L/Donny-Lucy.shtml

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was just for a PTBNL with the Reds picking up the rest of '08 and the Sox on the hook for the option/buyout.

Caseyfan21
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Just speculated on WLW that the Reds were going to be on the hook for most of the money.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the deal was just for a PTBNL with the Reds picking up the rest of '08 and the Sox on the hook for the option/buyout.

Probably. I think it's cost-cutting as much as possible. They know they're going to have to reload big time in the offseason.

sonny
07-31-2008, 10:26 AM

Can PTBNL play center field:D?

OnBaseMachine
Just speculated on WLW that the Reds were going to be on the hook for most of the money.

Hopefully that means the Reds are going to get a solid prospect in return then.

Falls City Beer
If this is the extent of the moves, then Walt gets a big "F" for his deadline performance.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:27 AM
10:20 a.m.

The White Sox's trade for Ken Griffey Jr. is perplexing some baseball people. "He can't play,'' one AL exec said. "I think it's a huge mistake.'' It remains uncertain how the White Sox will utilize Griffey -- assuming he approves the trade -- but don't be surprised if White Sox GM Ken Williams has more surprises. He and A's GM Billy Beane are the biggest dealmakers. Maybe Williams just got bored and had to do something. At least he got a longtime favorite of his. It's still to be worked out how he fits all his hitters into the lineup or whether one of them will go in a companion trade. Griffey once rejected a trade to the Mets (before he came to the Reds), but with his Reds contract expiring anyway, he'd look pretty bad to turn down a deal to play for a first-place team.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_heyman/07/29/heyman.tradeblog/index.html?eref=T1

redsfan30
It's a sad day because one of the greatest players ever is no longer going to play for my favorite team. He ain't like he used to obviously and I hope he accepts and succeeds iin obtaining his ring but there's nothing wrong with being sad to see him leave.

My feelings exactly. This is rough on me.

OnBaseMachine
If this is the extent of the moves, then Walt gets a big "F" for his deadline performance.

Will Carroll says David Weathers will be traded and Heyman says the Rays are getting serious about Dunn.

redsrule2500
07-31-2008, 10:28 AM
OMG!! Fantastic news!!!! This is huge, and I don't care at all about the return. lol

Griffey just brought 8 years of losing with him from Seattle after our '99 amazing season. Let the new era of Reds baseball begin. :cool:

Raisor
07-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Griffey just brought 8 years of losing with him from Seattle after our '99 amazing season.

:rolleyes::thumbdown

OnBaseMachine
OMG!! Fantastic news!!!! This is huge, and I don't care at all about the return. lol

Griffey just brought 8 years of losing with him from Seattle after our '99 amazing season. Let the new era of Reds baseball begin. :cool:

Yeah, it was all Griffey's fault. :rolleyes:

RichRed

It's definitely Griffey's fault the Reds have been bad for a decade.

membengal
07-31-2008, 10:32 AM
And the plague. He brought the plague too. And high taxes. And salmonella.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

That's a bit extreme...

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing 2500 was being sarcastic.

BCubb2003
07-31-2008, 10:34 AM
And the plague. He brought the plague too. And high taxes. And salmonella.

The cicadas are the worst.

Puffy

I wish we could trade you to Reds.com. I wouldn't even care about the return!!!!!

Even if we got nobody back we would increase the baseball knowledge on this board!!!!! Let the new era of redszone begin :cool:

RichRed

I'm going to beg to differ with you there.

wolfboy
07-31-2008, 10:35 AM

Somehow, we would have been racking up NL Central titles had it not been for Griffey. Steve Parris would have won a few Cy Young awards were it not for Griffey bringing his losing ways here. Sean Casey would have won the batting title each and every year if it weren't for Griffey. Don't party too hard. :rolleyes:

Cyclone792
Griffey hasnt approved the deal. Word will come yay or nay by noon, sources tell me. The White Sox dont have an obvious fit. The only assumption to make is that they make a deal, clearing the way for Junior to DH... or they play Junior in centerfield... with all that implies. Griffey has always said he wanted to win a championship. The White Sox are in 1st place... hard to imagine this doesnt go through...

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=PluckPersona&U=c77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ac77145f462c74fa0ac03babe03d1a7e3 Post%3a179393a8-37d8-4e99-b4ff-ac8ee0500146&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

redsfan30

Jimmy Haynes, Danny Graves, Jose Acevedo, Joe Mays, Eric Milton, Jimmy Anderson, Ramon Ortiz, Paul Wilson and COUNTLESS others had nothing at all to do with it....

Yep....it was all Junior.....

:rolleyes:

fearofpopvol1
07-31-2008, 10:36 AM
My only wish is that the Brantley situation would be put to rest before he departs. It reaks of the Larkin situation with him leaving on bad terms.

If the rumor is true (Dunn to the Rays), the Rays are definitely a good partner. There's not a team in baseball with better prospects than Tampa. I don't want to see Dunn go, but I think the return could be best there.

LINEDRIVER
07-31-2008, 10:37 AM
I hope he's outta here. Just don't see where and how he fits into the Sox picture. If I'm running the Sox and I want to improve my team, I dont add Junior.
Pending approval has got to mean that the Sox have to pick up his '09 option. 16 mill for THAT????

I hope Jr understands that in Chicago he wont be the captain of the ship (that's Ozzie's personality/job) and therefore he's not guaranteed to bat in the first-inning. It could get ugly when Jr gets into Ozzie's doghouse next week after jogging out a groundball.

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM
With the way Konerko is hitting, I'd be shocked if it they didn't use him as a DH in a platoon with Paulie with Thome covering 1B when Junior plays.

westofyou
07-31-2008, 10:39 AM

He doesn't possess the skill set for such a thing.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Interesting stuff from the Sox board on mlb.com

They are saying Jr and a reliever(Affeldt or Weathers) for Anderson and someone else.

Matt700wlw
07-31-2008, 10:40 AM

Hopefully :)

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 10:41 AM
He doesn't possess the skill set for such a thing.

Clearly I don't know 2500 very well. Disregard previous post.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
I'd love to see Griffey win a World Series and accepting a trade to the White Sox would give him a very good chance at winning it all. The White Sox currently have the third best run differential in all of baseball (and only +2 behind the Red Sox for second place). They have as a good a chance as anybody at winning the World Series this year.

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 10:43 AM
I want no part of Brian Anderson unless he slots in behind Dickerson on the depth chart. He hasn't hit since 2005. Just bring up Dickerson and be done with it.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 10:44 AM
I saw on the Sox board that there is a deal for Street pending the outcome of the Jr trade.

Wheelhouse
07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
It's definitely Griffey's fault the Reds have been bad for a decade.

I think it's just as ridiculous to absolve Griffey from all blame (his contract handcuffed the team for years, not to mention his injuries) as it is to put all blame on him. It's my belief the Reds would have done better without him--and no one was more thrilled than me when "the trade" happened.

Falls City Beer
07-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I saw on the Sox board that there is a deal for Street pending the outcome of the Jr trade.

Street to the W. Sox?

penantboundreds
07-31-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be true, but I just heard someone saying that Griffey turned the trade down.

wolfboy
07-31-2008, 10:47 AM
I think it's just as ridiculous to absolve Griffey from all blame (his contract handcuffed the team for years, not to mention his injuries) as it is to put all blame on him. It's my belief the Reds would have done better without him--and no one was more thrilled than me when "the trade" happened.

Let's be clear about this. Griffey did not handcuff this team with anything. The Reds traded for him. They told him they were committed to adding payroll. The fact is, they didn't. The team handcuffed themselves. Griffey did his best not to handcuff the team by taking less than fair market value. Stop trying to distort the facts here. And FWIW, don't mention the injuries because they weren't something he could help.

Joseph
07-31-2008, 10:48 AM
Sorry if this doesn't turn out to be true, but I just heard someone saying that Griffey turned the trade down.

1530 says 'insiders' are reporting he has accepted.

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM
1530 says 'insiders' are reporting he has accepted.

good news - had me worried there for a second

RichRed
07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Clearly, Griffey has not been the player we all hoped he'd be when he got to Cincinnati. However, to say that he "brought his losing ways from Seattle" is just an asinine statement.

penantboundreds
07-31-2008, 10:51 AM
Just playin'

Matt700wlw

Where'd you hear that?

penantboundreds
(sorry, I had to)

Falls City Beer
Does Griffey's $4 million buyout for 09 vanish if he's traded?

Chip R
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Clearly, Griffey has not been the player we all hoped he'd be when he got to Cincinnati. However, to say that he "brought his losing ways from Seattle" is just an asinine statement.

Not to mention that 2000, Jr.'s first season here, was the last year the Reds finished above .500.

OldXOhio
(sorry, I had to)

sorry but that was lame

LINEDRIVER
Havent heard a 'turn down' story yet.

Griff would be a fool to not approve. He might be a man without a team in '09 and then have to take a one yr deal from somebody for 5 mill plus incentives IF he really wants to play.

Guacarock
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
Folks on Sox board are saying Junior has approved and only remaining obstacle is a physical.

Speculation on return to the Reds centering on CF Brady Anderson and reliever Nick Massett.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 10:54 AM
I doubt it.

Puffy
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Speculation on return to the Reds centering on CF Brady Anderson and reliever Nick Massett.

Brady Anderson? I hope he brings the 52 homer season and the 90210 sideburns!

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 10:55 AM
Speculation on return to the Reds centering on CF Brady Anderson

Cool - maybe he'll hit 50 bombs again

flyer85
07-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Folks on Sox board are saying Junior has approved and only remaining obstacle is a physical.

I am guessing that the Reds are including a reliever in the deal. I can't imagine there will be no physical ... there isn't time.

Cyclone792

Not that I know of.

Griffey's pretty much owed his 2008 pro-rated salary plus the $4 mil buyout. I don't see the Reds sending enough cash to cover both; they may pay the rest of the 2008 salary, but I'm hoping that the White Sox will at least cover the buyout.

Guacarock
Oops. Memory slip. I meant Brian Anderson!

Joseph
07-31-2008, 10:57 AM
Josh Fields have a place to play in the 'nati?

Raisor
Anderson and Patterson in the same lineup.

*shudder*

HotCorner
(sorry, I had to)

http://nihilcredo.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/facepalm1.jpeg

Nugget
07-31-2008, 11:00 AM

This and the 2500 post have to have the biggest sack of **** about the Junior trade to have been spouted on this thread. Junior did not handcuff the REDS with his contract. If you read the articles about the deal at the time Juniors contract was the biggest bargain the REDS could have hoped for. It was well below market and had defferred payments which gave the REDS maximum flexibility. As others have said - the REDS handcuffed themselves by not wanting to add payroll and when they did there was some stranger contracts than Juniors. On top of that to blame Junior for bringing his injuries to the REDS is just assinine. Junior suffered those injuries playing all out in the field. Giving his all so the REDS could try to win.

SirFelixCat
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM

I think that would be getting too much in return for Jr, tbph.

OldXOhio
07-31-2008, 11:01 AM

Can't imagine the Sox would part with him in a deal such as this one.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Josh Fields have a place to play in the 'nati?no but he does in Chicago

OnBaseMachine

According to Baseball America Masset throws 97-98 and has a plus curveball along with an average changeup and average slider/cutter. They refer to his stuff as tantalizing stuff but command problems have made him more hittable than he should be.

Nugget
Not that I know of.

Griffey's pretty much owed his 2008 pro-rated salary plus the $4 mil buyout. I don't see the Reds sending enough cash to cover both; they may pay the rest of the 2008 salary, but I'm hoping that the White Sox will at least cover the buyout.

Given this part of the trade, doesn't the commissioner's office need to approve the trade too?

WVRedsFan
07-31-2008, 11:03 AM
I knew they would come out of the woodwork. I sometimes think Gallagher just changes screen names and still lives on this board. Oh well.

I hope he accepts, but a little bit of me will go with him to the Sox. It was always my dream that he would play for the Reds and though it was not as much as I wanted, it still was a pleasure to watch him for 8 years and I'll miss him.

Now, much of RedsZone will have to find another whipping boy to call the worst defensive outfielder in MLB. That should be fun. I look forward to the discussion.

Something inside me says he will not OK this deal, but I hope he does. He deserves to play on a winner--something he didn't do for 8 years.

OldXOhio
According to Baseball America Masset throws 97-98 and has a plus curveball along with an average changeup and average slider/cutter. They refer to his stuff as tantalizing stuff but command problems have made him more hittable than he should be.

Wasn't the same said about EV before 2008.

Tom Servo
The Louisville Bats are playing the ChiSox AAA team today, fwiw. I plan on attending the game so Junior discussion should bbe prevelant.

redsmetz
Not that I know of.

Since techincially what is being traded is the contract, the buyout would remain in force. As for what cash goes between the teams, it's hard to say how these will come down. It could be any number of splits and I have no idea how you handle the deferred money.

Some of these contracts end up with multiple teams paying the tab. I think the Rockies and the Marlins are still covering some portion of Mike Hampton's deal. I won't go into it here, but you can see the breakdown (no pun intended) at Cot's (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/atlanta-braves_15.html).

Joseph
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
I think that would be getting too much in return for Jr, tbph.

I'd agree, but one rumor floating is that Weathers and Affedlt are in this deal too.

flyer85
Given this part of the trade, doesn't the commissioner's office need to approve the trade too?supposedly if more then 1M in cash is involved.

RedsManRick
Masset is another Majewski. Anderson is another Patterson. Frankly, I would have preferred cash or a low minors prospect.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Some media outlets have categorized Griffey as untradeable because of the widespread perception he would insist on having his $16.5 million option exercised in conjunction with a deal. But sources said Griffey was willing to consider returning to Cincinnati for a lower annual price if the Reds might consider tacking an extra year onto his deal.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3512365

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Anderson is another Patterson.

Center fielder Brian Anderson and the .275 lifetime on-base percentage. Batting leadoff, baby! Actually, since Anderson's a righty we can just platoon Patterson and Anderson.

The Cincinnati Reds: the Power of Tradition!

NJReds
07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
n/m

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
If Griffey approves I'm hoping Chris Dickerson is called up to take over CF against RHP.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
If Griffey approves I'm hoping Chris Dickerson is called up to take over CF against RHP.with Dusty managing Hairston will be out there every day.

oregonred
07-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Sox covering the $4M option seems to be the most reasonable assumption. That would mean the Reds would receive fodder at best unless the deal expanded as rumored.

Let's hope for no bad '09 contract in return.

I think Wheelhouse's comment as written was reasonable. 2001-2008 turned out to be a lost period for the Reds for a host of reasons (poor mgmt, no plan, no pitching, no farm system) KGJ's unfortunate injuries, rapid resulting decline and complete loss of market value due to his '05-'08 contract certainly didn't help the cause.

RichRed
If Griffey approves I'm hoping Chris Dickerson is called up to take over CF against RHP.

No need - Patterson's a lefty, dude!

Falls City Beer
with Dusty managing Hairston will be out there every day.

Which is still better than Dickerson.

OnBaseMachine
I was just reading that the radio station in Chicago reported Griffey will play CF with the Sox. Surely that's wrong.

Nugget
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Well Jerry does give you a good leadoff hitter - benches Patterson and lets Bruce move down the order.

I think it would be great if Junior when for the rest of the year - the ChiSox paid the buyout and the REDS picked him up for $6 million for the next two years. As he has shown he is still offensively dangerous.

RichRed
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
I was just reading that the radio station in Chicago reported Griffey will play CF with the Sox. Surely that's wrong.

Like I said, that's what they were discussing on Mike & Mike too (grain of salt). I didn't believe it could be true but...:dunno:

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Which is still better than Dickerson.

Dickerson is a plus defensive center fielder by all accounts, in addition to his defense he's hitting .279/.382/.481 in AAA including a very impressive .295/.398/.533 - .931 OPS against right handed pitchers.

flyer85
07-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I was just reading that the radio station in Chicago reported Griffey will play CF with the Sox. Surely that's wrong.the stuff I have been reading on their board says Swisher is going back to A's in a deal for Street and Ellis and Cabrera will be heading to the Dodgers. It would leave them without a CF(Swisher - who isn't really one anyway and Ramirez moving to SS, although they could move Uribe there)

wheels
XM is reporting Griffey has accepted the trade.

No news on the return as of yet.

MartyFan
My only wish is that the Brantley situation would be put to rest before he departs. It reaks of the Larkin situation with him leaving on bad terms.

If the rumor is true (Dunn to the Rays), the Rays are definitely a good partner. There's not a team in baseball with better prospects than Tampa. I don't want to see Dunn go, but I think the return could be best there.

I think the best way for Junior to put the Brantley thing to rest is to catch a ball when it is hit too him...IMHO, Brantley called it right.

I am a fan of Junior but I will not be to sad if our OF the rest of this year is Patterson in CF, Bruce in RF and Dunn in LF...I know...Patterson....though I would probably prefer they put Hopper or Hairston out there.

Wheelhouse
Wow, I just heard the wlw ad--shocking.

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2008, 11:18 AM
I have read that from multiple sources. It does not make much sense but that is what they are talking about. More than likely if this deal goes through the White Sox have at least one more deal going through to free up space for Junior to play.

Az Red
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Read all the comments. Streaming 700 WLW. Searching for a new sig.

I WILL work from home if I have to!!!

Don't tell the Navy ;)

flyer85
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
on the Sox board they are saying the Reds are sending some money along. That IMO, is a good thing.

Chip R
07-31-2008, 11:20 AM
I am a fan of Junior but I will not be to sad if our OF the rest of this year is Patterson in CF, Bruce in RF and Dunn in LF...I know...Patterson....though I would probably prefer they put Hopper or Hairston out there.

Hopper's out for the year. Maybe we can get some games from Hariston until he gets hurt again then maybe Freel will be ready by then.

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Rosenthal is also reporting that Junior has accepted. So far no word on who the Reds get.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
I turned to WLW on the Internet and the ad it is very low class.

OnBaseMachine
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the great memories Griffey. It didn't go as well as everyone wanted but I'd still make that trade 10 times out of 10.

Cyclone792
07-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Sox board reporting that the return may be Nick Masset and Danny Richar.

danforsman
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10914920

The deal awaits Griffey's approval, but it'd be for Danny Richar and Nick Masset according to Danny Knobler. The Reds will hopefully be willing to kick in some cash for Junior to approve the deal if necessary.

VR
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Some baseball insider (I missed the start) on 'the herd' was speculating Swisher. Wouldnt' that be something.

wheels
07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
$ 4 million from the Reds for Richar and Masset.

What's the poop on these cats?

MWM
07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
I turned to WLW on the Internet and the ad it is very low class.

Par for the course for what has become an embarassment to my home town. They've become the Cincy equivalent to the National Enquirer. Nothing they would do would surprise me anymore.

Joseph
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
2b Danny Richar and RP Nick Masset are being reported by one outlet as the return.

No confirmation on that.

wheels
07-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Par for the course for what has become an embarassment to my home town. They've become the Cincy equivalent to the National Enquirer. Nothing they would do would surprise me anymore.

That's why satellite radio rules. I get the Reds, but I don't have to deal with the other garbage.

Reds Fanatic
07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Here are some stats on Masset:

Pitching
Last 3 years Team G GS W L SV CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB K ERA WHIP BAA
2006 TEX 8 0 0 0 0 0 0 8.2 9 4 4 0 2 4 4.15 1.27 .300
2007 CWS 27 1 2 3 0 0 0 39.1 52 33 31 2 26 21 7.09 1.98 .323
2008 CWS 32 1 1 0 1 0 0 44.2 55 26 23 4 21 32 4.63 1.70 .313
Career 67 2 3 3 1 0 0 92.2 116 63 58 6 49 57 5.63 1.78 .316

fearofpopvol1
Anyone know anything about Danny Richar & Nick Masset? Hopefully better than Brian Anderson!

wheels
2b Danny Richar and RP Nick Masset are being reported by one outlet as the return.

No confirmation on that.

Someone from the Chicago media is speculating on XM that it might be a three way deal, but it's a pretty sure thing that Richar and Massett are definitely the guys coming from the Sox.

reds44
WCSR reports it's Masset and Richar.

Reds Fanatic
I have read that from multiple sources. It does not make much sense but that is what they are talking about. More than likely if this deal goes through the White Sox have at least one more deal going through to free up space for Junior to play.

corkedbat
07-31-2008, 11:33 AM
There's certainly some sadness, but I hope it goes through. If Junior nixes the deal, I would move him to 7th in the order and play him no more than 3 to4 days a week - not as a punishment, but because that is the way it should have been since June.

I'd rather have prospects than Anderson, activate Hairston (leadoff an playing CF), bring up Dickerson (battin g 7th when playing) and DFA Patterson. I'd make top of my lineup Hairston, Keppinger and Bruce.

If the ChiSox pickup half of what is remaining on the contract (including the buyout) the Reds are big winners in this deal.

RedsManRick
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
I can't get the WLW internet feed to load. What's the lowdown on the ad people are talking about?

wheels
07-31-2008, 11:35 AM
Well. At least we don't have to watch Brian Anderson every day.