PDA

View Full Version : For those that were worried about Bruce

Ghosts of 1990
08-04-2008, 10:18 PM
He's hit in 20 of the last 22 games. He's gonna be fine.

gitterdunn
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
agreed...it took pitchers awhile to catch up with him and now hes getting back in front of them again. that pitch he hit tonight was opposite field and a tough pitch to hit. personally, i love the kid.

GoReds33
08-04-2008, 10:40 PM
It's great that he's getting back into things. The only thing that concerns me is how long it took to change his approach. As we've seen, players get better at making changes, but he was in a very long slump.

Griffey012
08-04-2008, 10:56 PM
I was just glad to see him going the other way again, he seemed to get into Phillips mode and want to pull everything for a while. Now if Phillips just starts to spray the ball again it would be great. Phillips when he is spraying the ball is one exciting hitter.

tbball10
08-05-2008, 01:24 AM
I was just glad to see him going the other way again, he seemed to get into Phillips mode and want to pull everything for a while. Now if Phillips just starts to spray the ball again it would be great. Phillips when he is spraying the ball is one exciting hitter.

if you're going to discuss the reds' strictly pull hitters, lets throw in edwin into the conversation, who goes to right field way less than brando. i honestly havent seen ee hit many balls hard to right field all year. he tries to yank everything and it absolutely kills him unless he's in one of those zones he was in a couple weeks ago.

Griffey012
08-05-2008, 07:32 AM
if you're going to discuss the reds' strictly pull hitters, lets throw in edwin into the conversation, who goes to right field way less than brando. i honestly havent seen ee hit many balls hard to right field all year. he tries to yank everything and it absolutely kills him unless he's in one of those zones he was in a couple weeks ago.

Well Phillips' isn't a strictly pull hitter, when he first came through in 2006 and then last year Phillips drilled the right center gap a lot. EE has pretty much always been dead pull, but now he has just gone to the extreme as a dead down the line hitter.

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
To use a popular line (typically in defending Bailey, who is ONLY 22).......HE'S ONLY 21.

Ghosts of 1990
08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
That swing last night (opposite field blast) reminded me of something that got me excited about Josh hamilton. Power to all fields. It's something all the great hitters in the game possess. Braun, David Wright, Pujols.... and its what has kept Dunn from being a superstar.

We might just have a budding superstar.

Nasty_Boy
08-05-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm still worried about Jay. The bat speed and the talent have never been in doubt... but his approach at the plate is pretty terrible. Until he learns to be more selective with the what he swings at he continue to have some prolonged slumps. I think that he's gonna get to that point, but I would say it would be another full year before he can command the strikezone.

bgwilly31
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I watched the game last night.

He actually looked a bit more patient.

Not patient enough. But at least more than what he has been at the plate. Thats probably the reason for his recent success.

Before it was about 75% chance jay was swinging at the next pitch.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
jay bphill and votto are getting alot more selective in their swings.. maybe jacoby has helped some people.. or maybe people are starting to ignore his philosophy..

mound_patrol
08-05-2008, 12:36 PM
jay bphill and votto are getting alot more selective in their swings.. maybe jacoby has helped some people.. or maybe people are starting to ignore his philosophy..

I don't have cable in the new apartment yet so I can't agree or disagree on if they're being more selective, but if they are, I'm guess it's because they finally stopped listening to Dusty and his free swinging philosophy. I'm pretty sure Jacoby is more on the Adam Dunn philosophy of being patient.

08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
To use a popular line (typically in defending Bailey, who is ONLY 22).......HE'S ONLY 21.

A perception problem that Bruce has had is that he was in the same draft as Braun, Longoria, and Tulowitski, so fans expect him to produce at their level. However, as you point out, he is 2-3 year younger than they are.
When he was drafted, his ETA for the majors was the end of 2009. He did so well in the minors, he was rushed a bit. Considering it all, I think he has been doing better than expected.

gedred69
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Bruce has had to adapt to pitchers' adjustments to him. I don't think trying him at Lead-off was smart at all, it messed with his head a bit. But, being the talent he is, I expect he'll shake it off. Team has at least 2 starters well-suited for the 3 spot, Bruce and Phillips. (And coincidently, both sucked trying to lead off). Pick one for the 3 hole, and go with it for awhile. Bat the other 4th - 6th. These guys along with Votto are the base for the future. In what is now a lost season this is the time to see where each of the three is best suited in the Batting Order.

Ghosts of 1990
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
love him in the 3 hole and love that he's hitting.