PDA

View Full Version : Cordero - trade or waiver?

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Brewers pen is hurting. Why not offer CoCo back to them? They pick up the entire contract from here on out, and we free up more salary. Or put him on the waiver wire and see if any team in contention bites that is hurting in the bullpen. You just never know what might happen. Or then again, maybe management has already tried?

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I actually thought the White Sox might be interested in CoCo.

Root Down
08-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Would it be wise to trade him in division?

dsmith421
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Why not offer CoCo back to them?

Because he has full no-trade protection through 2009, maybe?

redsbuckeye
08-05-2008, 09:42 AM
I'd be surprised if he went anywhere. Even new management wouldn't drop a guy who's be at least OK that quickly.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 10:25 AM
he will be fine.. problem is.. he likes pressure situations.. until we can win consistantly he wont have many of those..

mroby85
08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
cordero isn't one of the problems on this team, in fact, i think he's one of the solutions, they just need to get back to playing good baseball so they can turn it over to him in the 9th more frequently.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 12:21 PM
his situations where he comes in to clean up when we are down big and games when we are up big, hurt his mindset.. he needs pressure situations.. the reds unfortunately arent good enough to give him more than 1 a week right now..

roby
08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Brewers pen is hurting. Why not offer CoCo back to them? They pick up the entire contract from here on out, and we free up more salary. Or put him on the waiver wire and see if any team in contention bites that is hurting in the bullpen. You just never know what might happen. Or then again, maybe management has already tried?

Why should we care about the Brewers bullpen problems? The reds need to hang on to the few good players they have...and start to solve their own problems and weak areas. Cordero is a good closer...and they are going to need a good closer when they start to turn things around. The bullpen is one of the strong points and it wouldn't be real smart to weaken it. I think the answer is to add what you need through free agency, cut loose the chaff, and bring the young guns along.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
With how strong this bullpen is.. i would have loved to see how strong we would have been had Burton been healthy all year.. instead of majewski, and had coffey actually had the stuff he had early in his career i.e. 2 years ago.. coulda been lights out..

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I guess none of you read the minor league threads. How about this one?

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70630

Herrera and Roenicke at triple AAA.
Manuel and Geronimo at double AA.
Aguido Gonzalez at Dayton - 22 IP, 0 ER.

With plenty of bullpen help coming through the minors, why keep a $14 million dollar closer? We have the 5th best bullpen e.r.a. since the All-Star break. I think our bullpen would be fine without CoCo and I'd love to use the money elsewhere.....especially with plenty of help in the minors coming.

I'd love to re-sign Dunn, but it doesn't look like management feels the same way. Griffey is gone. Dunn appears to be gone. CoCo might be able to be unloaded. The Reds could free up about $37-$40 million between those 2 guys.

Hmmmm.

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
With plenty of bullpen help coming through the minors, why keep a $14 million dollar closer? We have the 5th best bullpen e.r.a. since the All-Star break. I think our bullpen would be fine without CoCo and I'd love to use the money elsewhere.....especially with plenty of help in the minors coming.

For me it's not a matter of whether we should trade Cordero, it's a matter of whether we can trade Cordero. He has a no-trade clause.

Plus, there is something to be said for keeping him around, even with the salary. Those guys (Roenicke, Herrera, etc.) are still young, which means they still have question marks. If you hang to Cordero for one more year, you'll know for sure what you've got by 2010.

All in all, I'd like to see him traded, just don't know whether he'd be on board. If the youngsters come through, I'd hate to see him finish out that contract, since the no-trade clause lifts after 2009.

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I bet he'd waive it to go to a contender. I would.

Reds aren't going to be contenders next season either. Why spend $14 mill on him?

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Reds aren't going to be contenders next season either. Why spend $14 mill on him?

Arroyo didn't want to go to a contender.

I think if we re-sign Dunn and add a quality starter we can be a contender next year.

TheBigLebowski
08-05-2008, 03:02 PM

The Reds may well be contenders next year. Way too early to tell.

ChatterRed
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Arroyo didn't want to go to a contender.

I think if we re-sign Dunn and add a quality starter we can be a contender next year.

We need more than just re-signing Dunn (which I hope we do) and sign another starter (which I hope we do). We need one more big bat that hits between 25-30 homers from the right side and can hit for a little more average than Dunn, to protect Adam in the lineup, IMHO.

My wish list which will never happen:

1. Either acquire by FA or trade - Holliday or Teixeira - to protect Adam in the lineup. Holliday makes more sense since Teixeira is a first baseman.

2. Acquire another quality starter - not much in free agency.

3. Acquire a solid starter for the 5th spot and end these tryouts with our minor league starters and castoffs from other teams. What I really wish could happen (and there is no way in you know what) is that the Reds could convince Greg Maddux to come here and be the 4th or 5th starter. He desires to stay on the West Coast, unfortunately.

SP Volquez
SP Harang
SP Cueto
SP Maddux
SP Arroyo

4. Re-sign Dunn for $15 million per season.

Holliday or Teixeira = $20 million
Quality Starter = $15 million
Greg Maddux = $10 million
Dunn = $15 million

5. If they could unload CoCo to go with the money freed up from Griffey, they'd already save $24-$25 million. So what's the big deal adding another $35 million??? Hehehe.

Bullpen:
Burton
Bray
Weathers - re-sign
Affeldt - re-sign
Lincoln - re-sign
Herrera
Roenicke

$60 million equals winning the Central and maybe the World Series. Does Castellini have it in him??????????????????? DOUBTFUL.

Orodle
08-05-2008, 05:31 PM
If the Brewers didnt want to offer him that much money at the begining of the season why would they want to have him to that contract now?

Orodle
08-05-2008, 05:32 PM
why would Maddux want to pitching GABP?

kpresidente
08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
why would Maddux want to pitching GABP?

Maddux loves Dick Pole.

superred
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
i would like 2 see if maddux would like 2 be a pitching coach after his career is over, if he would i would give him however much he would want to come here and take over dick pooles job

ChatterRed
08-06-2008, 03:04 AM
Maddux loves Dick Pole.

We all love Dick Pole. But what is your point? :D

kpresidente
08-06-2008, 03:43 AM
We all love Dick Pole. But what is your point? :D

Uhhh.....

improbus
08-06-2008, 09:51 AM
The Reds need to take the same approach that the Rockies did last year. They acquired a ton of young live arms (Burton, Volquez, Cueto is a start), find some sinker-ballers (like Aaron Cook) to keep the ball in GABP, and drastically improve the defense. I could care less about the offense. The Reds will always score in GABP, and Votto and Bruce will improve. An offensive core of Bruce, Votto, Dunn, and Phillips will be pretty solid. In a hitters park, you need outstanding pitching and defense to overcome the ballpark.

Look at what the Rockies did:
68 errors. That is a ridiculous stat. The Reds already have 85.
52 unearned runs. The Reds already have 58 unearned runs.
8th in team ERA. Coors and GABP will never allow top tier staffs, but if they can improve their team ERA by .3, they will be fine.
That is the formula.

levydl
08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
The Reds need to take the same approach that the Rockies did last year. They acquired a ton of young live arms (Burton, Volquez, Cueto is a start), find some sinker-ballers (like Aaron Cook) to keep the ball in GABP, and drastically improve the defense. I could care less about the offense. The Reds will always score in GABP, and Votto and Bruce will improve. An offensive core of Bruce, Votto, Dunn, and Phillips will be pretty solid. In a hitters park, you need outstanding pitching and defense to overcome the ballpark.

Look at what the Rockies did:
68 errors. That is a ridiculous stat. The Reds already have 85.
52 unearned runs. The Reds already have 58 unearned runs.
8th in team ERA. Coors and GABP will never allow top tier staffs, but if they can improve their team ERA by .3, they will be fine.
That is the formula.

That, and win your last 25 games.

ChatterRed
08-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Nice outing tonight. 8/8/08

daBeast
08-09-2008, 05:08 AM
trade him fo krod n ervin snatana

ChatterRed
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM

I sure hope your typing is alcohol induced.

superred
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM

why would the angels want 2 do that:confused:

kpresidente
08-09-2008, 09:46 PM
I would demote him. Let Burton or Roenicke close the rest of the games.

If Cordero throws a hissy-fit and wants out, we win.

If it lights a fire in him and he steps up his game, we win.

Old NDN
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Who would be dumb enough to take on that contract (besides the Reds)? The Reds would have to pay some of the salary to dump him. It just doesn't do the Reds any good to keep a high-priced closer if they can't win. As rare as that has been, let one of the kids give it a go. And why would ANY free agents-to-be want to come to the Reds next year, unless the were greatly overpaid?

PTI (pti)
08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I would honestly trade Cordero for ANYTHING. A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

- a PTBNL
- Mickey Mantle's liver
- Dernell Stenson's driver's license
- those ghetto, Master P-looking glasses that Pete Rose always wears
- a bucket of batting practice balls
- a lock of Bronson Arroyo's cornrows
- Brian McNamee's needle collection
- George Grande's closet full of short-sleeve button-downs
- etc

Release him, waive him, cut him, DFA him, pull his scholarship, whatever. Just get rid of him. The Reds have NO BUSINESS spending $46 million on a 3-out pitcher. Just terrible management, and a terrible use of resources.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-11-2008, 09:45 AM
it isnt a terrible use of resources is we are winning games.. you need a legit lockdown closer, and while they might have overpaid for cordero, you need to have that pitcher, instead of the hacks they have been throwing out there for years since graves was lights out..