PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield anyone?

big boy
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Sheffield waived

ESPNews reports the Detroit Tigers waived DH Gary Sheffield Tuesday, Aug. 12.

Trace's Daddy
08-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Can he play 1st base?

GoReds33
08-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Can he play 1st base?The Yankees were going to move him there, so I would imagine he has done some work there. He played nine games there in 2006, but that's it.

wojo1025
08-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Please explain why we would possibly want Sheff?

Please PLEASE no

Oxilon
08-12-2008, 06:36 PM
I remember when Bowden was still the GM and it seemed like every offseason there would be rumors of Bowden trying to go after Sheffield and Ben Grieve. Maybe than, but certainly not now.

joe51391
08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I think that would have us going in the wrong direction
:beerme:

redsbuckeye
08-13-2008, 01:46 PM
No thanks.

highheat11
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
If it were a few years ago I'd be all for this, even though I've never really liked Sheff as a person or player. If we are indeed moving towards the future with young, homegrown talent that we can control for a longer period of time, then this is a huge step backwards. But then again, if he's just a filler for something else in the works or a player that is up and coming, then I guess my opinion on the matter could be swayed a little.

PTI (pti)
08-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I actually met him at a bar in Seattle a couple months ago, and I'm sad to say that him walking right by me kinda caught me off guard. Typically, I'd have been armed with some smart-alek comment to throw at a jerk like him. Instead, all I could think of was "hey, good luck vs. the Mariners tonight." Oh well.

Sheffield is one of the meanest, most racist jerks in all of baseball. If I were COMLETELY DESPERATE to win a championship, and he was the "final piece" of the puzzle - I *may* consider him....

....but I would still hate myself for it.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-13-2008, 04:00 PM
If the tigers eat his contract, or even if they dont.. i dont understand all the pro-dunners on this board not wanting him..

when i was younger and he was a critical part of that marlins team in the mid 90's.. and a friend that played with the team would give us tickets to go to games, and down on the field with the team.. gary sheffield was my favorite.. and he was ALWAYS as nice as could be to me, in fact gave me a few auto items and a bat of his.. and i am Caucasian.. soo he's not completely racist..

dougflynn23
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
:rolleyes: According to our manager, Sheffield is just entering his productive years, so why the hell not? We need another declining vet to bat 3rd and not be moved because of the "respect" he has earned.

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 10:23 AM
If the tigers eat his contract, or even if they dont.. i dont understand all the pro-dunners on this board not wanting him..

Probably has something to do that he's old and injury prone and really not very good anymore.

Focusonit
08-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I think the direction the Reds are going in would preclude them from getting Sheffield. It's time for more of a youth movement with a few big FA's sprinkled in.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Probably has something to do that he's old and injury prone and really not very good anymore.

he still is almost as productive as dunn at his age and condition.. esp since he has wanted out of detroit since last offseason..

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 11:15 AM
he still is almost as productive as dunn at his age and condition.. esp since he has wanted out of detroit since last offseason..

False.

His line this year is .222/.323/.391. He's clearly into his decline phase.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-14-2008, 11:19 AM
look at last year.. they are comparable.. we have talked in LENGTH on this board about how mental can change how you play for most people..

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 11:26 AM
look at last year.. they are comparable.. we have talked in LENGTH on this board about how mental can change how you play for most people..

Last year Sheff: .265/.378/.462
Last year Dunn: .264/.386/.554

Avg. is the same but the other numbers are pretty significantly better.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-14-2008, 11:31 AM
those numbers are PRETTY CLOSE.. especially when you consider the fact that sheff plays a SLIGHTLY better defense at this age.. than dunn does when he is in his prime..

OUReds
08-14-2008, 11:33 AM
those numbers are PRETTY CLOSE.. especially when you consider the fact that sheff plays a SLIGHTLY better defense at this age.. than dunn does when he is in his prime..

.100 points of OPS isn't pretty close.

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

Umm, no those really aren't that close. And I guess if DH is a defensive position.

redsbuckeye
08-14-2008, 11:36 AM
And not that it matters, it's not like we can go jump in a time machine and get the Sheffield of last year. He's in decline, end of story.

Red in Atl
08-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Sheffield = one of the most overrated of all time!

Griffey012
08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
This shouldnt even be a debate right now, Sheffield or anyone else who is near 40 does not fit into our rebuilding/future plans unless they can pitch and pitch well for a relatively cheap price.

ChatterRed
08-19-2008, 12:18 AM
I was kinda hoping we would pick up all the waiver wire old guys and start a veteran team. ;)

cincy14
08-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Would rather play minor leagers at this point.

aerontg
08-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I actually met him at a bar in Seattle a couple months ago, and I'm sad to say that him walking right by me kinda caught me off guard. Typically, I'd have been armed with some smart-alek comment to throw at a jerk like him. Instead, all I could think of was "hey, good luck vs. the Mariners tonight." Oh well.

Sheffield is one of the meanest, most racist jerks in all of baseball. If I were COMLETELY DESPERATE to win a championship, and he was the "final piece" of the puzzle - I *may* consider him....

....but I would still hate myself for it.

If you don't mind, could you please back up that statement. I'm not a fan of blatant personal attacks such as this. I personally don't know Sheffield.