PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Question: Stealing Second Base

lenmccart
08-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Hey everyone...I have a strategy question that I am hoping can be answered by someone smarter than me.

Last night in the 9th inning, Brandon Phillips singled. Pujols played well off of first meaning the Cardinals were willing to give up the stolen base. But Phillips didn't go. In fact, he didn't even take a bigger lead than normal.

With Valentin at the plate...why wouldn't he take second base to break up a potential double play?

Obviously, in this case it made no difference because Valentin struck out on three pitches...but I thought that was an interesting strategy decision NOT to take a free base when it was given to him.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Adam
www.lettersonpages.com

Orodle
08-16-2008, 12:02 PM
One thought would be that even if he does take 2nd and he ends up scoring it means nothing if the guy behind him doesnt score so not worth the risk of being thrown out. I dont agree with that strategy in that situation but that is one school of thought. It could have been something else as well....maybe Brandon has a small tweak injury or something? who knows

lenmccart
08-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I agree that his run is meaningless...BUT they were giving him the base and it gets you out of a double play. One that Valentin is obviously not beating out.

Ahhhorsepoo
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
I would assume it goes in the same line of thought as pinch running corey patterson 3 pitches into an AB when dunn walked about a month ago.. simply cant figure out and think ahead..

texasdave
08-18-2008, 11:18 AM
I believe that when Phillips reached first that Pujols double-dog dared him not to run if Pujols didn't hold him on. Two things you don't mess with in life - another man's mojo and a double-dog dare. Everybody knows that.

big boy
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
This is one of the unwritten rules of baseball. Like not bunting late in the game when there is a no-hitter.

redsbuckeye
08-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Phillips is one of a small set of guys who I'd let steal at will. His career 80% SB% is good enough to make up for any CS.

Against a non-holding 1st baseman, why not steal?

texasdave
08-18-2008, 01:59 PM
This is one of the unwritten rules of baseball. Like not bunting late in the game when there is a no-hitter.

If this is an unwritten rule, it is a dumb one. Lemme see how this works: Now I am going to not hold you on and play behind you making it easier for me to snag anything the left-handed hitting Valentin might send my way, and in return you promise not to steal. So I gain an advantage and you don't. What? :confused: This may be an unwritten rule. I don't know. But it is an unwritten rule that should be ignored.

tommycash
08-18-2008, 02:22 PM
The unwritten rule is to not steal when up by 8 or more runs late in the game as to not embarass the other team. Yesterday's game was not one of those situations.

Rob387
08-18-2008, 03:26 PM
he must still not be 100% or i don't see why he wouldn't have been running. if i remember correctly larue was in the game and not molina

Ahhhorsepoo
08-18-2008, 03:45 PM
even if it was molina.. you give bphill an extra 2 steps.. it would take a josh hamilton throw to get close..