PDA

View Full Version : Best Seats in Baseball

GoReds33
08-30-2008, 11:40 AM
I found this ESPN article on the best seats in baseball. It's a great read, and doesn't just mention the obdvious choices.

The Best Seats in Baseball (http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=2909745)

So, what is your opinion on the best seats in the Majors. Personally, I have sat in what I believe the best seats in baseball, George Steinbrenner's box at Yankee Stadium. We were the row behind the Yankee dugout.

Joseph Hanna
08-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I absolutely love this subject. Not so much from a "best seat in the house" perspective but more from the effect and the experience that comes from seeing ballgames at different ballparks.

Having recently returned to Cincinnati from years in California I say I'm not disappointed in GABP but not all that thrilled either.

My early years in L.A. were spent at Dodger Stadium. By comparison on the right night (or day) it's as beautiful park as there is in baseball. I have a half dozen or so Wrigley games under my belt and where Dodger Stadium is not as close as Wrigley the color scheme and ability to see the park and the ball are exceptional. That not to mention the mountains out in centerfield are glorious. It should be noted that the park is not as safe or family friendly as GABP and Dodger Dogs are highly over rated.

Some years later as I moved out of the general Hollywood area I discovered Angel Stadium. I know it doesn't get much press as a great ballpark but believe it or not of the 15 or so ballparks I've visited this is (by leaps and bounds) the most comfortable, colorful, must see ballparks in America. Yes it's a bit bowl-ish like stadiums of old but the grounds crew is above reproach, the seats are all good, the food service is impeccable, there's this cool breeze that starts to blow at game time and I can honestly say I've never seen a better all around park. I so wish GABP was even remotely as attractive.

I'd love to hear from others on their thoughts of ballpark experiences.

Stephenk29
08-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Anywhere in Fenway has to be #1, the atmosphere is unparralled. I've sat in the upper deck seats at AT&T though and I can't believe they don't have those seats ranked higher. They are something truely unbelievable. The view of the bay is never justified on T.V. and it has the view of the field to match it. Easily the best seats I've ever been in from a ballpark standpoint. Catching a game at Fenway though was something you just don't forget.

The bleachers in Wrigley are very overrated in my opinion. I didn't know anything in U.S. Cellular was supposed to be nice. Didn't care for that park at all. The third base side of PNC was extremely nice as well. I put that just under AT&T. Camden is pretty nice all around, can't argue much with them, I didn't sit in the right field corner though, I was under the impression you wanted a broader view of the warehouse area.

Joseph Hanna
08-30-2008, 08:23 PM
Anywhere in Fenway has to be #1, the atmosphere is unparralled. I've sat in the upper deck seats at AT&T though and I can't believe they don't have those seats ranked higher. They are something truely unbelievable. The view of the bay is never justified on T.V. and it has the view of the field to match it. Easily the best seats I've ever been in from a ballpark standpoint. Catching a game at Fenway though was something you just don't forget.

I'm gonna agree on both points as I've been to both parks. The ferocity of Boston folks towards their baseball is unmatched. I remember my first visit to Boston. I went to a suggested local bar to catch the game. A loud bustling place...when the game started on the TV the place drew silent. The reverence for the game is palpable.

Similarly I spent a summer in West Chester County, New York 10 or 12 years ago and saw a bunch of Mets games. Quite possibly the ugliest ballpark in the world but die hard, die hard fans!

Of course the same can not be said of San Francisco but their park is beautiful.

I'm also gonna agree with you although I'm often pummeled in my thinking. Chicago (for me) is not nearly what it's cracked up to be. Nice old park with a WHOLE bunch of drunks but not all that.

I'm wondering what the Reds could do (besides putting a winning team on the field) to make the experience more "Boston like"??

Stephenk29
08-30-2008, 08:46 PM
I've always thought the Majestic Steamboat that sits on the landing should be turned into a sports bar/restaraunt. I always thought that would absolutely make TONS of money and just be an awesome spot to go before and after games. It could be similar to Boston's surrounding area outside the park as well as Camden Yards at Baltimore. Pickle's pub and the others just outside of Camden is a nice little set up. So by all means if you have the funds please steal my idea and put up a sweet spot for a game. That would go perfectly with the ballpark's steamboat theme.