PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips Breakes Finger-Season Over

09-10-2008, 02:31 AM
http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/SPT04/309090006

Minutes after Brandon Phillips delivered a game-winning single in a 5-4, 11-inning victory over Milwaukee, Phillips learned that he broke his right index finger earlier in the at-bat.
Advertisement

On the first pitch of the at-bat with runners on first and third and two outs, Phillips attempted to bunt for a base hit. He injured the finger on the bunt attempt.

Phillips will fly home to Cincinnati today to be examined by the Reds' medical staff. While no official word has been given, Phillips' season appears to be over. An emotional Phillips sat in his locker, passing on a chance to speak to reporters after the game.

If there is any good news, it is that it now appears that Brandon will not be traded in the off season.

GoReds33
09-10-2008, 07:08 AM
I hope this doesn't cost him the gold glove, but it didn't for Hudson last year. IIRC, Hudson was out for a long stretch with an injury.

Ghosts of 1990
09-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Was he really maybe going to be traded before? Why? Why are we depleting the team of anyone good?

Slyder
09-10-2008, 07:36 AM
Was he really maybe going to be traded before? Why? Why are we depleting the team of anyone good?

Because they aren't aggressive enough for Duhhhsty's liking. Heaven forbid we "clog the bases". How else do you explain Bako and Patterson, and his 4 pitch at bats (when he's lucky and fouls off something), on this team AND PLAYING when you got young guys that your not sure what to expect (Dickerson, Castillo, etc) and/or still learning major league hitting (Bruce).

BurgervilleBuck
09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
If Dusty doesn't send Phillips up there bunting(!) with two outs(!!!), it probably wouldn't have happened.

Ay yi yi.

HeatherC1212
09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
That sucks for Brandon. I hope he heals up all right and has a good offseason to prepare for next year. :(

Ahhhorsepoo
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
now we can see richar get a start to see what that kid has...

09-10-2008, 10:54 AM

He was heavily rumored to be the key part of a possible Matt Holliday deal. That was the only thing I was referring to.

No one thinks that the Reds are trying to trade Phillips, just that if a team changing deal like for Holliday came around, they would listen.

09-10-2008, 10:59 AM
If Dusty doesn't send Phillips up there bunting(!) with two outs(!!!), it probably wouldn't have happened.

Ay yi yi.

Where did you hear/read that Phillips was asked to bunt by Dusty? Every account of that AB that I heard/read was that Phillips did that on his own, and that everyone, including Dusty was perplexed as to why he tried to bunt.

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 11:21 AM

I like his glove, but his bat is HORRID - we're talking Corey Patterson HORRID - 70% of the time (which is against RHP), and since we have Dusty "I'm one stubborn old turd" Baker, he'll continue to bat him 3rd or 4th regardless, until the day he is traded.

He's a GREAT hitter against LHP, I mean MONSTROUS, which makes his all around numbers look decent at the end of the year - until you look at his splits.

IF we could trade him for Holliday, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and then sign a Hudson or one of the other FA 2nd baseman out there.
Personally, I'd trade him for a lot less.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BurgervilleBuck
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Where did you hear/read that Phillips was asked to bunt by Dusty? Every account of that AB that I heard/read was that Phillips did that on his own, and that everyone, including Dusty was perplexed as to why he tried to bunt.

Zatso? Then apologies to Dusty and a slap upside the head of Phillips.

HeatherC1212
09-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Don't we all ready have a bunch of guys who can play second base if Brandon is traded away? Why would we need to trade for someone other player when that someone could all ready be in house? :confused:

Ahhhorsepoo
09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
I like his glove, but his bat is HORRID - we're talking Corey Patterson HORRID - 70% of the time (which is against RHP), and since we have Dusty "I'm one stubborn old turd" Baker, he'll continue to bat him 3rd or 4th regardless, until the day he is traded.

He's a GREAT hitter against LHP, I mean MONSTROUS, which makes his all around numbers look decent at the end of the year - until you look at his splits.

IF we could trade him for Holliday, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and then sign a Hudson or one of the other FA 2nd baseman out there.
Personally, I'd trade him for a lot less.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

you would trade phillips for alot less? you keep losing credibility here.. first you tell us that this team will be nothing without dunn and not score ANY RUNS..

With dunn in 119 games they scored 510 runs.. that is 4.29 a game...

without dunn in 26 games they have scored 124.. that is 4.77 a game..

soo it is at least reasonable, due to small sample size, to think that they didnt drop off in total offense.. and maybe there is a slight lean toward an overall upgrade with the hit and run small ball approach.. the defense is much improved.. and the pitching is coming around..

you always talked about adam dunn playing 155+ games was sooooo important.. yet you want to get rid of an everyday player and replace him with an injury prone guy who is also 4 years older than brandon phillips..

hudson hasnt played in more than 145 game in any year but 1! in his career..

hudson will command more than what b-phill is making this year.. soo please spare me on that too..

not that i don't want hudson.. but honestly.. that simply doesn't make any sense.. maybe your point is that there is better replacements at 2b than there are in the outfield in FA.. but lets be honest.. the rockies wouldn't be smart to do that trade straight up so they wouldn't.. a nick markakis type player would be a far better get at this point in their careers.. wait til be comes off the books and go hard after him.. you don't trade one major piece for another unless you have another piece to fill in there.. and at this point the reds don't have that.. Holliday for a contract extension will command even more than dunn.. soo instead of having bphill and dickerson or another player, (preferibly 25 homer great defense caliber player) in LF for the combo price of 16-22 mil a year or less.. you would have holliday and hudson for at least 30 mil..... not very smart for an average market team.. thats at least 10 mil that you dont have to get a lights out starting groundball pitcher..

honestly i see holliday commanding anywhere from 22-27 million a year.. and maybe being a replacement for the contracts of all the old guys up in NY...

the reason why we are winning more now is not only the different approach at the plate.. we have also cut out ERA by almost 3/4 of a run in the last month.. and when we make errors on defense.. the pitching and other defensive players play some pick me up and get out of it too unscathed..

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 01:41 PM
BPhil is overrated, especially on RedsZone, and even more so here on the SunDeck. Similar to how Horseypooh overrates himself.
A lot of babbling, but nothing much we haven't heard 1,000 times before.

Many people agree with my take on BPHIL, in fact, I'd say the majority.

As far as our "winning more" it definitely has a lot to do with our SP's ending the season on a high note - Arroyo leading the charge. If that's the ONLY thing that results from the loss of Adam Dunn, due to whatever they "might" have had going on personally, then I can live with that.

The offensive "surge" is a result of small sample sizes, you are correct, and playing 6 games against 2 of the only teams in MLB that MIGHT actually be worse than us, and 3 blown saves by the NL Central contenders who are chocking down the stretch.

And don't fool yourself, the hit and run ain't working. BP and CP have run themselves OFF the field more times than not. Go look up the "CS" stats since Dunn left if you don't believe me. We're still winning with the long ball, and complements to Votto being put in the 4 hole, and Bruce and EE getting the bat on the ball in critical situations.

Give me more Votto/Bruce/EE and less BP. I want a guy who is an offensive weapon 70% of the time, not 30%. As has been noted several times, we can WAY more easily replace 2B than just about any other position on the field.
Still waiting for your REALISTIC options for a 25 homer GG caliber LF-er that will come for $10-15M, and not require a similar type trade for.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

tommycash
09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
BPhil is overrated, especially on RedsZone, and even more so here on the SunDeck. Similar to how Horseypooh overrates himself.
A lot of babbling, but nothing much we haven't heard 1,000 times before.

Many people agree with my take on BPHIL, in fact, I'd say the majority.

As far as our "winning more" it definitely has a lot to do with our SP's ending the season on a high note - Arroyo leading the charge. If that's the ONLY thing that results from the loss of Adam Dunn, due to whatever they "might" have had going on personally, then I can live with that.

The offensive "surge" is a result of small sample sizes, you are correct, and playing 6 games against 2 of the only teams in MLB that MIGHT actually be worse than us, and 3 blown saves by the NL Central contenders who are chocking down the stretch.

And don't fool yourself, the hit and run ain't working. BP and CP have run themselves OFF the field more times than not. Go look up the "CS" stats since Dunn left if you don't believe me. We're still winning with the long ball, and complements to Votto being put in the 4 hole, and Bruce and EE getting the bat on the ball in critical situations.

Give me more Votto/Bruce/EE and less BP. I want a guy who is an offensive weapon 70% of the time, not 30%. As has been noted several times, we can WAY more easily replace 2B than just about any other position on the field.
Still waiting for your REALISTIC options for a 25 homer GG caliber LF-er that will come for $10-15M, and not require a similar type trade for.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Not to go against your point Bleeds, but no one in baseball is an offensive threat 70% percent of the time, according to statistics. I think Phillips is a good 2B with some pop. I agree that he has to bat 2nd, 7th, or 8th. He should never bat 3rd, 4th, or 5th and I think that is most of the criticism on him is coming from.

Ahhhorsepoo
09-10-2008, 01:51 PM
the majority of people hate bphill.. ok.............

can you honestly say even more than 2% of the population of cincy doesnt like bphill on this team? i dont honestly think you can.. besides you.. one very very very delusional fan.. i dont know ANYONE else who doesnt want bphill on this team..

nick markakis wont command more than 15-16 mil and he is a GG caliber of'er.. the onyl way he even sniffs 18 mil is if teams get in a huge bidding war for his services because the big dogs are already taken up..

if we would have gotten rid of dunn a few years ago there have been PLENTY of options over the past few years..

i agree that batting bphill third screwed up his approach.. but 2nd or 3rd is a perfect spot for him to bat, if he cant fix his approach then 2 is where he should be..

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Not to go against your point Bleeds, but no one in baseball is an offensive threat 70% percent of the time, according to statistics. I think Phillips is a good 2B with some pop. I agree that he has to bat 2nd, 7th, or 8th. He should never bat 3rd, 4th, or 5th and I think that is most of the criticism on him is coming from.

My percentage comes from his splits. He takes about 70% of his AB's against RHP, where he is competing with Corey Patterson for worst on this team, and maybe the majors.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 02:20 PM
nick markakis wont command more than 15-16 mil and he is a GG caliber of'er.. the onyl way he even sniffs 18 mil is if teams get in a huge bidding war for his services because the big dogs are already taken up..

And when is he a FA?!?! 2012?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ahhhorsepoo
09-10-2008, 02:23 PM
And when is he a FA?!?! 2012?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

soo lets over pay.. and keep missing out on guys like we have in the past.. good logic.. 2000's reds called.. they want their gameplan back..

btw a deal of homer bailey chris dickerson and adkins could fetch a player like markakis..

tommycash
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
My percentage comes from his splits. He takes about 70% of his AB's against RHP, where he is competing with Corey Patterson for worst on this team, and maybe the majors.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He is batting .247 vs. RHP this year. Patterson is batting .212. While that is not great for Phillips, there is hardly a question as to who is much worse. Also, Phillips' OBP is .293 and Patterson's is .247. Still not much of a comparison. I know what your underlying thoughts on Phillips are, and I agree with you that he cannot be counted on to be a 3, 4, or 5 hitter. I agree with you 100%.

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 02:54 PM
.225/.291/.374

That's BP's line since the ASB.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

tommycash
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
.225/.291/.374

That's BP's line since the ASB.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Ok, I see the ASB splits now. Got ya. But I still think he is good for us, just get him out of the middle of the lineup.

TC81190
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM

PEACE

-BLEEDS
You gotta love some delicious hyperbole.

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
You gotta love some delicious hyperbole.

It was much worse earlier, but now he's comfortably ahead of Corey Patterson, who is the only position player on the Reds (non-catcher) - other than a mostly injured Jeff Keppinger - who has an OPS against RHP that is less than BP's.

He definitely has NO business being in the middle of the lineup against RHP, which is 70% of the AB's he'll take.

His glove is about 1 win over replacement, which is what we're paying him for. If by the time 2010 rolls around and he's still batting like that against RHP, we will be WAY WAY WAY overpaying him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

TC81190
09-10-2008, 03:56 PM
It was much worse earlier, but now he's comfortably ahead of Corey Patterson, who is the only position player on the Reds (non-catcher) - other than a mostly injured Jeff Keppinger - who has an OPS against RHP that is less than BP's.

He definitely has NO business being in the middle of the lineup against RHP, which is 70% of the AB's he'll take.

His glove is about 1 win over replacement, which is what we're paying him for. If by the time 2010 rolls around and he's still batting like that against RHP, we will be WAY WAY WAY overpaying him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
That's all fine and I do agree he needs to start hitting RHP better, however, to call him the second worst hitter in the majors ahead of only Correy Patterson is exaggeration to a laughable degree.

Ahhhorsepoo
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
TC dont argue with him.. when it comes to hating bphill and lovin Adam Dunn common sense is no argument for his opinion..

BLEEDS
09-10-2008, 09:12 PM
That's all fine and I do agree he needs to start hitting RHP better, however, to call him the second worst hitter in the majors ahead of only Correy Patterson is exaggeration to a laughable degree.

Reading Comprehension required, up to an 8th grade level preferred.

I said he was competing for WORST ON THE TEAM with CFP, then added MAYBE the Majors. Obviously the second part was hyperbole; the first was not.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

REDblooded
09-11-2008, 01:04 AM
When I saw the title of this thread, one thing came to mind.........

Season was over long before BPhilly breaks finger.

akron3344
09-11-2008, 01:09 AM
he is another in the great functional idiots on the team,the kind of player who despite the previous hurler walking three straight guys, would swing at the first pitch, another guy with a zero baseball IQ

BLEEDS
09-11-2008, 09:39 AM
he is another in the great functional idiots on the team,the kind of player who despite the previous hurler walking three straight guys, would swing at the first pitch, another guy with a zero baseball IQ

Yes, so obviously this guy belongs hitting in the #3 hole, and is by far our best player, we need more guys like him, he is FAST, blah blah blah blah blah...

PEACE

-BLEEDS