PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 things to feel good about the Reds

UPRedsFan
09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Here's my list. Please add to it...

1. Great finish in September stemming from strong starting pitching and good defense.

2. Votto exceeding expectations. He's an offensive force and can hit lefties.

3. With a year under his belt Bruce should explode in '09 like Votto did this year

4. We have a chance at being the best rotation in the NL next year (Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Owings, Ramirez, Masset)

5. We have a solid bullpen to protect leads (what a difference this year in the 8th inning!)

6. We have a solid veteran closer to convert quality starts to victories

7. Dickerson - who knew? Centerfield is solved with Dickerson and Hairston

8. No Griffey or Dunn salary frees up money for another starter or Magglio or Holliday

9. Alonzo signed

10. Young talent in minors: Ramirez, Roenicke, Thompson, Maloney, Castillo is an interesting player

CySeymour
09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Nice list! I agree, there are several things to feel good about! Hopefully Jocketty can pull something off this offseason or early next season to push the team up.

ChatterRed
09-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Here's my list. Please add to it...

1. Great finish in September stemming from strong starting pitching and good defense.

2. Votto exceeding expectations. He's an offensive force and can hit lefties.

3. With a year under his belt Bruce should explode in '09 like Votto did this year

4. We have a chance at being the best rotation in the NL next year (Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Owings, Ramirez, Masset)

5. We have a solid bullpen to protect leads (what a difference this year in the 8th inning!)

6. We have a solid veteran closer to convert quality starts to victories

7. Dickerson - who knew? Centerfield is solved with Dickerson and Hairston

8. No Griffey or Dunn salary frees up money for another starter or Magglio or Holliday

9. Alonzo signed

10. Young talent in minors: Ramirez, Roenicke, Thompson, Maloney, Castillo is an interesting player

1. Well said. I will add that they have played strong competition in September and have succeeeded.

2. I love Votto. Better than I expected.

3. I think Bruce is coming around. To hit .260 as a 21 year old, and also hit over 20 home runs in less than 400 at-bats is pretty impressive.

4. I would say the rotation will be one of the better ones, but not the best. But I'd have to look around. I think we still are missing an ace. But overall, our 2, 3, and 4 starters are better than what many other teams have.

5. The bullpen has been surprisingly good and I hope we can retain most of it.

6. Cordero had a midseason slump, but has been pretty solid otherwise.

7. Small sample size on Dickerson, but I liked what I saw.

8. I love the payroll flexibility going into the offseason. Should be fun to see what changes are made.

9. Alonso. I'm in a cautiously optimistic mode regarding him. We shall see.

10. Minor leagues are back! :beerme:

podgejeff_
09-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Dickerson and Hanigan have both really helped this team fill some holes that were apparent. We sign a big bat over the offseason and Harang bounces back to form, we may have a real winner on our hands.

Unfortunately, we'll still have Dusty Baker. That might cost us a lot right there.

Ghosts of 1990
09-25-2008, 12:14 PM
great list. The only thing I'd say is that Votto barely outperformed Bruce this year in 100 more at bats.

ChatterRed
09-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Votto has been jerked around the lineup more than Jay has.

fadetoblack2880
09-26-2008, 12:27 AM
i don't see dickerson and hairston being the cf answer. they'd be great off the bench, but i don't think i'd pencil them in the starting lineup on opening day unless one of the puts up ungodly numbers during spring training, like hamilton did. the way hairston seems to have health issues and the fact that dickerson has never hit as well as he was is my reasoning in what i say. i don't deny the fact that they are good players, but consistancy could be lacking. what happens if hairston isn't resigned and dickerson comes back to earth and ends up in louisville? it's entirely possible.

roborobj
09-26-2008, 02:27 AM
i don't see dickerson and hairston being the cf answer. they'd be great off the bench, but i don't think i'd pencil them in the starting lineup on opening day unless one of the puts up ungodly numbers during spring training, like hamilton did. the way hairston seems to have health issues and the fact that dickerson has never hit as well as he was is my reasoning in what i say. i don't deny the fact that they are good players, but consistancy could be lacking. what happens if hairston isn't resigned and dickerson comes back to earth and ends up in louisville? it's entirely possible.

Hopefully Dickerson won't have health issues next year. He is down now with a stress fracture that needs surgery.

flash
09-26-2008, 08:51 AM
1. Great finish
2. Volquez
3. Cueto will get better.
4. Dickerson changed his stance and is a hitter for center.
5. Stubbs is pushing for a spot in the outfield.
6. Hannigan finally gets a chance and is proving he belongs. (Maybe the biggest good thing.
7. Rosales- Still struggling, but defintely someone to consider for next year.
8. Alonzo signing.
9. Team anchors gotten rid of. Don't want to bash Griffey and Dunn, but I believe they were ultimately holding the Reds future back. Now Bruce, Votto, Phillips can EE can shine without their overbearing presence.
10. Patterson is not going to marry Baker's daughter. Now the Reds don't have to sign him again. (just kidding.)

Oxblood
09-26-2008, 10:39 AM
1. Dusty isn't WJ's guy, so he will more than likely be shown the door in the offseason.

Ghosts of 1990
09-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Votto has been jerked around the lineup more than Jay has.

uh. no.

If anything its been the same/similar. Bruce has hit 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 8th.

He's been jerked around just the same.

Orodle
09-27-2008, 04:03 PM
1. Dusty isn't WJ's guy, so he will more than likely be shown the door in the offseason.

I would love it if this were to happen but I honestly dont think it will.