PDA

View Full Version : free agency

votto08
09-27-2008, 12:48 AM
just wondered what people think of these 2 guys as far as reds go to me both would be good signings if money is right.

RP- jaun cruz , hes having very good year in arizona this year and only making 1.937 million this year so if he doubles his salary still only round 4million plus he would give reds another strike out pitcher in bullpen who can go more then 1 inning

OF- kevin mench another guy who would probally come cheap but give reds a nice bat who can hit leftys i believe and add little right handed power off the bench when hes not starting.

then the reds can look around maybe 1-2 trades for catcher or maybe ss or even another out fielder and have a very nice off season.

kpresidente
09-27-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm going to segue off your Kevin Mench thing...

What I've felt for a while now is that we're going to need one middle-of-the-order bat and one middle-of-the-rotation pitcher to be successful next year. Problem is, when you do the math, you end up with $15-$20 million to spend, which will only buy you one of those + some spare parts. So you've got to get creative. One of the best ways to do that is with platoons. Guys like Mench.

Looking over the FA list, a pair that drew my eye was a Rich Aurillia/Russell Branyon combo.

First, check out their relevant splits:

Aurillia - .386|.538|.924
Branyon - .375|.658|1.033

3-Year
Aurillia - .345|.511|.856
Branyon - .352|.496|.848

So, the bottom line is you're adding an .850 OPS bat to your lineup for pennies. The rest of your money can go toward a pitcher. Also, both guys can play either of 1B or 3B, which gives you the flexibility to move either of Votto or Encarnacion, whichever you prefer, to LF. Sign them to one or two-year deals, depending on how long you expect it to take Alonso to arrive.

Ghosts of 1990
09-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Cruz, if you set fire to him he'd explode. He always gets hit hard.

ChatterRed
09-27-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm for trading Bailey or a few prospects for Magglio Ordonez and his 3 year $48 million dollar contract. He would fill LF for 3 years until our minor leagues are ready to fill the position.

Mlbtraderumors.com says the payroll will start around $60 million next year after arbitration cases for EE, Lincoln and someone else. Ordonez contract puts it at $76 million.

Then either I decide if I'm going with Owings as the 5th starter, or I try and sign Lowe, which will probably add another $12 to $15 million to the payroll. Puts payroll at $91 million.

We don't need a catcher. Hanigan is our catcher. Joe Oliver was not a superstar and was part of the '90 Championship team.

I might consider trading Phillips (as 2B is the easiest position to field), and play Keppinger there. Would reduce payroll another $5 million.

1B Votto
2B Keppinger
SS Gonzalez
3B EE
LF Ordonez
CF Dickerson
RF Bruce
C Hanigan

SP Harang
SP Lowe
SP Volquez
SP Cueto
SP Arroyo

RP Cordero
RP Burton
RP Bray
RP Weathers (?)
RP Lincoln
RP Herrera
RP Affeldt (?)

My craziest idea is trading with the Mariners for Ichiro Suzuki, who will be making $18 million next season. His numbers are still very strong. Put him in RF, move Bruce to CF.

RF Suzuki
2B Keppinger
1B Votto
LF Ordonez
CF Bruce
3B EE
SS Gonzalez
C Hanigan
P

Don't sign Lowe and go with Owings as your 5th starter. This makes the payroll around $89 million if you trade Phillips and use Keppinger at 2B, and not sign a 5th starter. Also means Dickerson would either go back to triple AAA or be your first outfielder off the bench. Or you keep in triple AAA until someone gets hurt, to get him at-bats.

Crazy idea, I know, but we need a reliable table setter, and a reliable rbi guy/RH power/average hitter (Ordonez). Plus Ordonez and Suzuki are veterans who definitely continue to put up solid numbers while playing nearly a full season. They lead by example and would be good for these young guys. Keppinger's numbers would improve with Suzuki, Ordonez, and Votto around him. So will Bruce and EE's.

Just my opinion.