PDA

View Full Version : Will Reds consider Dunn in offseason?

Jim Fazio
09-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Will the Reds consider Dunn?

09-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Jocketty made it clear when he said the Reds top priority was a big RH bat.

And does it matter? Judging from comments he has made, I can't see Dunn wanting to come back.

redsfanmia
09-28-2008, 03:35 PM
I say we should bring him back but only for 20+ million a year. The Reds had a really good run with Dunn and the play of the club really suffered when he was dealt away. Seriously if the Reds bring back Dunn I am going to find a new team to root for.

Oxblood
09-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Hopefully not. For his sake he should go to the AL and DH.

snowstorm
09-28-2008, 08:32 PM
No!

Dunn is the past. It's time to look towards the future.

We MUST get a RH power hitter in the offseason. This needs to be priority #1.

Dunn's strengths don't really fit this team's needs anyway, and for what he does well, the price tag is simply too high.

MBZags
09-28-2008, 08:46 PM
No, giving up two first-round draft picks to get him back is not an option for this organization. He is going to command a lot of money in the open market. And, because the Reds are a "small-market" team, it is more feasible for them to build from within like other similar market teams like the A's. Plus, with Bruce and Votto, and as stated above, the Reds need a RH power bat.

ChatterRed
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
I say we should bring him back but only for 20+ million a year. The Reds had a really good run with Dunn and the play of the club really suffered when he was dealt away. Seriously if the Reds bring back Dunn I am going to find a new team to root for.

I actually only read your first two lines and had to keep from vomiting. I finally just read your last line and realized you were joking. You have me worried there. :D

BLEEDS
09-29-2008, 10:11 AM
Jocketty wants a RH Power Bat. Makes sense at this point, IMO, as long as it's an IMPACT RH Power Bat.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

ChatterRed
09-29-2008, 11:26 AM
I'd take 25-30 HR's with a decent batting average and OPS, rather than 40 HR's and a .230 batting average.

Oh, and the Reds already have 2 LH hitting power bats in Votto and Bruce. Those two will continue to improve and will hit between 25-35 Hr's a year as time goes on, but will hit for more average than Dunn.

freestyle55
09-29-2008, 12:04 PM
I'd take 25-30 HR's with a decent batting average and OPS, rather than 40 HR's and a .230 batting average.

Oh, and the Reds already have 2 LH hitting power bats in Votto and Bruce. Those two will continue to improve and will hit between 25-35 Hr's a year as time goes on, but will hit for more average than Dunn.

What's decent? Let's say +.270 BA and +.750 OPS...

Here's your list of people who did it this year...which one do you think you'll get (and for less money than Dunn)?

Manny Ramirez BOS/LAD - more money
Ryan Ludwick STL - not available
Carlos Quentin CHW - not available
Matt Holliday COL - more money
Josh Hamilton TEX - not available
Jason Bay BOS/PIT - as much or more money, not necessarily available
Ryan Braun MIL - not available
Vladimir Guerrero LAA - don't think available, and more money
Jermaine Dye CHW - not available
Brad Hawpe COL - haven't heard him being available
Alfonso Soriano CHC - not available
Carlos Beltran NYM - not available
Xavier Nady NYY/PIT - not available
Nate McLouth PIT - not available

Not saying Dunn's the answer, but I'm sick of hearing all this junk about Dunn was the problem...the Reds are so much better without him...blah blah blah...that was the greatest day in Reds history...

but it doesn't really matter, because "stats" are irrelevant, right?

redhawk61
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
It seems you forgot the guy we will end up with, Magglio Ordonez

Slyder
09-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Should the Reds consider him? Yes.

Will they? Probably not.

IFbaseball by chance the rest of baseball agrees with Rinaldi that Dunn sucks I'd gladly take him at a lower bargain price if he wants to come back.

You can balance the lineup if you get someone competant in there to make the lineups or hit Duhhhsty over the head with a mallet to knock him out long enough for the bench coaches to perform the pregame stuff. Votto was able to make adjustments and hit lefties well, Freel when healthy hit lefties well (may just want to reign in the stolen base attempts), BPhill crushed lefties most of the year, Bruce couldnt hit any worse vs Lefties next year than he did this year. If Votto is better LF flip him and Dunn. If not maybe use some of the duplicity on this team (Hopper, Freel, Hairston if resigned, Kep, etc) and some spects or EdE to get a good SS.

The defense even with Dunn back overall would be upgraded.

Bruce>Griffey at this point alone will improve the d at least 3 fold and allow whoever is in CF to maybe adjust a bit more toward LF and thus help cover more field.
Dickerson/Freel>Patterson/Freel/Hairston Dickerson makes up any difference in range with offense, even if Dickerson slips to his norms.
Hannigan>Bako, Ross, Valentin

But the biggest difference could be the pitching improving with experience.

Harang hopefully healthy, Arroyo having a good 2nd Half, Volquez coming off one of the best seasons the reds have had from any pitcher in the past 20 years, Cueto a year older, The guys at AAA maybe given a chance rather than Fogg. If the Reds were to do the Harang plan maybe get rid of some of the wall scrappers in RF would help bring ERAs down and not affect Dunn, Votto, and Bruce.

ChatterRed
09-29-2008, 02:57 PM

BINGO! :thumbup: :beerme: :p:

ChatterRed
09-29-2008, 02:57 PM
What's decent? Let's say +.270 BA and +.750 OPS...

Here's your list of people who did it this year...which one do you think you'll get (and for less money than Dunn)?

Manny Ramirez BOS/LAD - more money
Ryan Ludwick STL - not available
Carlos Quentin CHW - not available
Matt Holliday COL - more money
Josh Hamilton TEX - not available
Jason Bay BOS/PIT - as much or more money, not necessarily available
Ryan Braun MIL - not available
Vladimir Guerrero LAA - don't think available, and more money
Jermaine Dye CHW - not available
Brad Hawpe COL - haven't heard him being available
Alfonso Soriano CHC - not available
Carlos Beltran NYM - not available
Xavier Nady NYY/PIT - not available
Nate McLouth PIT - not available

Not saying Dunn's the answer, but I'm sick of hearing all this junk about Dunn was the problem...the Reds are so much better without him...blah blah blah...that was the greatest day in Reds history...

but it doesn't really matter, because "stats" are irrelevant, right?

How did Arizona end up? :p:

GOYA
09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Jocketty turned the page and will not look backward.

Ghosts of 1990
09-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I said i hope so but i dont think it will happen

freestyle55
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
How did Arizona end up? :p:

I forgot, Dunn also makes your pitchers instantly go into slumps and other teams catch fire, he did that here too...

freestyle55
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM

He hit 21 HR's, didn't come up in the list based on what the criteria was...

OPS 30 points lower, exactly 3 more RBI's hitting 4th in a waaaaaayy more potent lineup then ours or Arizona's, and just as or more expensive then Dunn at this point. Plus, that's still assuming he's even available...the Tigers want pitching or a better shortstop, who exactly are we going to give them for Ordonez...?

I'm not saying Dunn is the answer, but geez, people here act like he was worse than Corey Patterson.

podgejeff_
09-30-2008, 12:10 PM
I'd take Dunn back, especially if we can get him at a bargain price. I wouldn't turn down arguably the best power hitter in the league for a bargain price. Of course, Dusty would want to bat him sixth or something, so it may all be for nothing anyways. Dunn, with his .400+ OBP would bat sixth while Corey F'ing Patterson would bat leadoff every game.

I pray to god that WJ relieves Dusty of the temptation of Patterson/Bako.

Plus it would make Marty livid, which would make me happy.

Ohioballplayer
10-02-2008, 12:48 PM
GOYA - Thank the good Lord, the past is behind, FOCUS on the future!!!