PDA

View Full Version : Jake Peavy

stripedwarrior
10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
Saw a report on ESPN this morning. I forget who was doing the piece, but I think it was Gammons. He stated that the Padres were expected to shop Peavy in the offseason. Then they talked about the Dan Haren trade, and what the Padres could expect in return.
I doubt that the Reds would go for it, but what would you give up to add him to the rotation? Peavy, Volquez, Harang, Cueto, Arroyo. Not many rotations would compete with that. Not sure how many runs we would need to score if Peavy and Harang are back to form, and Cueto and Volquez progress.
Obviously, a move like this would decimate the farm system, and likely prohibit an improvement to the offense and defense.

podgejeff_
10-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think this team needs a Peavy to compete. It'd be cheaper to add offense/defense. Our pitching is already there.

dunner13
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
if you can get peavy you cant take a pass on that. That being said if hes available there will be so many teams willing to give up alot of players that the price would probably get to steep for us. I can see the mets or yankees willing to sell the farm for him.

stripedwarrior
10-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree with what you are saying, Jeff. I guess I should have stated my thought a bit better. Acquiring Pevy would give us, arguably, the best rotation in baseball. If it, alone, was enough to get us into the postseason, what would you be willing to give up to get him. Lots of assumptions, but let's assume that Bruce and Votto improve. Dickerson proves that he is capable of manning CF everyday, or at least in a platoon. And, that we find a competent bat for LF. And the biggest - SS solution is found for next season, be it Gonzo, or whomever.
Point being, we wouldn't have to score 800+ runs in order to make the postseason. 750 should be enough. Essentially you trade the production we got from the #5 spot in the rotation for that of Peavy. Is it worth it? I don't know what he has been like away from the NL West parks. Just thought it would be interesting to think about.
I do believe that they said he is under a "reasonable" contract for 2 more years. I don't know the figures offhand though.

stripedwarrior
10-01-2008, 10:23 AM
if you can get peavy you cant take a pass on that. That being said if hes available there will be so many teams willing to give up alot of players that the price would probably get to steep for us. I can see the mets or yankees willing to sell the farm for him.

Problem is, they don't have much on the farm to give. I think that the teams that you immediately assume would be in, like the Mets and Yankees, don't have the farm system to make a good enough offer.
The bar was set with the Dan Haren trade. Who out there has enough to give?

joe51391
10-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow that would take alot to get him. I would give Phillips,Bailey,Maloney,Soto to get him but not much more

Ghosts of 1990
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Well they'd want Jay Bruce. I'd laugh in their face 1000 times and offer Brandon Phillips.

Bip Roberts
10-01-2008, 04:31 PM
This is the padres we are talking about im sure we could get him and their 1st baseman for nothing.

fadetoblack2880
10-01-2008, 04:58 PM

yankees dont have much left to offer do they?

TC81190
10-01-2008, 05:44 PM
Bailey, Frazier, Thompson, and Francisco.

ChatterRed
10-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Bailey, Thompson, and Stubbs. That's 2 former number 1 picks, and a pretty good pitching prospect.

bubbachunk
10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Bailey, Thompson, and Stubbs. That's 2 former number 1 picks, and a pretty good pitching prospect.

none of which look as if they will be half the player that Peavy is right now, and that is not really a shot because he is that good.

dunner13
10-02-2008, 08:03 AM
yankees dont have much left to offer do they?

austin jackson, robinson cano, phillip hughes, ian kennedy, jesus montero, andrew brackman, melky cabera... there not the most loaded system in the minors but they have a few good options

stripedwarrior
10-02-2008, 08:34 AM
They have stated in no uncertain terms that Jackson and Hughes are untouchable. Much the same stance we had on Bruce last year.
After that, I'm not sure if they have enough, that they are willing to part with, to make the deal.

The reports that I have heard (grain of salt here) suggest that they are going to do what they can to persuade Mussina to return, and go heavy after CC (6yrs/$150+ mil). I can see that one ending up bad, given the abuse he has taken the last few weeks. If they fail in either, they will more than likely inquire, but I don't see it getting done.

Of the current playoff teams, I could see the Cubs being the most desparate to add him. That is assuming that they flop in the playoffs again. After that, it would be the Red Sox, or White Sox.

Leading candidates in the category of pretender/contender might include (just pure speculation) Toronto, and St. Louis. I'm not sure if Houston or the Mets have much in the minors to trade. Id on't see them trading him to anyone in the NL West, even though Maddux went to the Dodgers. This would be more of a long term "not wanting to see him all the time" deal.

Obviously, the Reds fall into this last category, that of being a pretender this year. Do the Reds have enough chips to trade? Maybe. Depends what the Padres like, and how high the price/bidding gets. Would it be a good move? Depends on whether you are looking long term, or just want to get to the playoffs. His option year is 2013 for $22 mil. But, the previous 4 years total at $59. Easily worth it, given his past performance.

So you would have a 4 year window to make your run. Bruce, Votto, Volquez, Cueto, and others should be in their prime. Harang should still be good, and Arroyo, will probably give you what expect. If you add Peavy, and find a reasonable RH bat (.280+/25 HR/85 RBI) for LF, or wherever, you would definitely be a contender. Would it be enough? Don't know, but it would be fun to find out.

ChatterRed
10-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Yahoo baseball rumors (which pretty much comes from everywhere else) said recently that the Yanks are going to possibly package Hughes and others for Matt Holiday.