PDA

View Full Version : Should Junior retire?

ChatterRed
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
I think he should. Great career. I just don't want to watch him struggle anymore.

I realize he doesn't has to be the 90's Junior. But if he was still hitting .270-.280 with 25 HR's and 80-100 rbi, that would be another thing. He's not the same, and his defense is hard to watch.

Please retire so I can remember you at your best.

ChatterRed
10-07-2008, 10:23 AM
The only way he should even consider playing another year is if he hires a personal trainer and gets himself in the best shape he possibly can, working his butt off, lose some weight, and strengthen his muscles some more......including doing some hitting in the offseason. He cannot afford to go through the motions at this point in his career if he wants to continue on playing.

Boston Red
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Right now he's sort of a combination of Willie Mays and Babe Ruth....in their final years.

Orenda
10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
I don't get the fascination fans have with not wanting to see great players stick around and become role players late in their careers. So your ok with some left-handed middle reliever eeking out a career into his 40's like a Mike Stanton, but you don't want to see a long-time all-star be relegated to utility status? If he wants to play than I would like to see him play as long as he is able to produce. But I also wouldn't want to see him get a position over someone better because of his name. I see no reason why Ken Griffey Jr. couldn't do the same job Javier Valentin does, the only question would be, is that what Griffey wants? Juan Castro is still playing baseball, now that is criminal.

Ghosts of 1990
10-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't get the fascination fans have with not wanting to see great players stick around and become role players late in their careers. So your ok with some left-handed middle reliever eeking out a career into his 40's like a Mike Stanton, but you don't want to see a long-time all-star be relegated to utility status? If he wants to play than I would like to see him play as long as he is able to produce. But I also wouldn't want to see him get a position over someone better because of his name. I see no reason why Ken Griffey Jr. couldn't do the same job Javier Valentin does, the only question would be, is that what Griffey wants? Juan Castro is still playing baseball, now that is criminal.

Junior wouldn't ever accept a role like that.

He should never have been hitting 3rd not only this year for the Reds, but the last few years. He should have realized that and refused it. Did you see where he hit for the White Sox?

Ghosts of 1990
10-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I'd think we might just of seen Griffey play his last game.

Something tells me he will somewhat quietly retire, and sign a 1 day contract with the M's in doing so.

Seems there is nothing left for him to do. And he isn't going to win a championship. Hard to believe.

A-Rod hasn't won one either though.

joe51391
10-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm sick and tired of people saying he is the greatest of all time because he is nowhere close he couldn't even hold the likes of Rose Bench Ted Williams Willie Mays Ty Cobb Babe Ruth or even Pujos jock straps KGJ is and was always a selfish in it for myself overrated bum players like him don't win championships and he has proved that everywhere he goes

JWP
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm sick and tired of people saying he is the greatest of all time because he is nowhere close he couldn't even hold the likes of Rose Bench Ted Williams Willie Mays Ty Cobb Babe Ruth or even Pujos jock straps KGJ is and was always a selfish in it for myself overrated bum players like him don't win championships and he has proved that everywhere he goes

Ugh. I don't usually respond to posts like this, but this is really terrible. I don't want to sound like an overly serious looney, but have some respect. Seriously.

Orenda
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Junior wouldn't ever accept a role like that.

He should never have been hitting 3rd not only this year for the Reds, but the last few years. He should have realized that and refused it. Did you see where he hit for the White Sox?

No i didn't see where he was hitting for the sox. I agree he shouldn't have been hitting 3rd but that is the manager's decision not his.

joe51391
10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Why should i respect someone who couldn't even respect the game enough to stay in shape......and contribute he is a bum notice how much better we played with average players than with your high priced bum

freestyle55
10-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Sure...the guy who was one of the best defensive and offensive players of the past 50 years is "nowhere close". I don't think anyone's ever said he's the greatest player of all time, but he belongs in the same clubhouse.

He's had injuries and such to deal with in his Reds run, but you can't tell me that he wasn't the premier player of the 90's. I would put him above Bonds and anyone else that decade.

And the "selfish in it for myself overrated bum player" comment is just ridiculous...he's played on generally mediocre teams for the great majority of his time, but I guess that's his fault, not the ownership and management that can't build a winning team.

Ken Griffey Jr. will rightfully go into the HOF 5 years after he retires, and I'm sure he doesn't really care what the "casual" baseball fan thinks about him.

bounty37h
10-07-2008, 02:32 PM

And you have "proved" you didnt take education seriously.

ChatterRed
10-07-2008, 05:09 PM
I started this thread, so here are some additional comments.

What's really odd, is that Griffey is one season removed from 2007 when he hit 30 HR's, 93 RBI's, batted .277, and had an OPS of .869 while playing 144 games. In 2008, his totals are 18 HR's, 71 RBI's, 30 doubles (as compared to hitting 24 in 2007), batting .249 overall, with a combined OPS somewhere in the .770 range.

Even more interesting is that Griffey has only played more than 140 games twice since 2000 and it was the past 2 seasons.

His decline really seems to have started this season.

I reiterate that the only way he should consider returning next year is if he hires a personal trainer and gets in the best shape possible in the offseason, and then maybe signs on as a DH. He needs to shed some weight. I think it would help his knees and back. If he committed himself, I think he could play another season at the same standard as many other DH's.

The good thing is, if some team picks him up, they won't have to pay him a boatload of money. So, he might get a job as a LH DH, to go against RH pitchers. Could be interesting to see what happens. But only if he commits himself to improving the shape he is in.

Ghosts of 1990
10-08-2008, 08:19 AM
I started this thread, so here are some additional comments.

What's really odd, is that Griffey is one season removed from 2007 when he hit 30 HR's, 93 RBI's, batted .277, and had an OPS of .869 while playing 144 games. In 2008, his totals are 18 HR's, 71 RBI's, 30 doubles (as compared to hitting 24 in 2007), batting .249 overall, with a combined OPS somewhere in the .770 range.

Even more interesting is that Griffey has only played more than 140 games twice since 2000 and it was the past 2 seasons.

His decline really seems to have started this season.

I reiterate that the only way he should consider returning next year is if he hires a personal trainer and gets in the best shape possible in the offseason, and then maybe signs on as a DH. He needs to shed some weight. I think it would help his knees and back. If he committed himself, I think he could play another season at the same standard as many other DH's.

The good thing is, if some team picks him up, they won't have to pay him a boatload of money. So, he might get a job as a LH DH, to go against RH pitchers. Could be interesting to see what happens. But only if he commits himself to improving the shape he is in.

I think in this case you really have to believe what the scouting reports say. Scouts say his bat speed has badly depleted and although he's a dead pull hitter, he can't turn on pitches anymore. If he wasnt as gifted as he really is can you imagine what his stats would have been?

Slyder
10-08-2008, 09:18 AM
We all know that Griffey never really took great care of his body as a kid because he had so much natural ability he never really had to. My only caveat is if he's going to get a physical trainer and start to take stuff serious about his diet and conditioning.

Regardless he's not (I wouldnt expect) going to be the guy he was even here with the bat but he still had a decent split vs RHP this year. If he's going to get in better physical shape theres no reason he couldnt hit .290, 15-20 HR and be a productive bat in a platoon situation.

bounty37h
10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Saw on SC ticker this morning, he does not plan to retire yet. Wonder what decision the Sox make on that, do they pick up the option, or buyout? If buyout, does someone else pick him up?

Chi-Town Red
10-08-2008, 12:03 PM
the Sox are splitting the 4 mil buyout with the Reds..Jr said He wants to come back to the White Sox, but i dont see where they have room..Thome is under contract for another year, and Swisher has pretty much been told he will start in CF next year.

The sad part is i dont think there is much interest in Griffey.
I know he wants a shot at 3,000 hits, and he needs 50 more Hr's to pass Mays...but as a part time DH? I dont see many takers...

ChatterRed
10-08-2008, 12:12 PM
It all depends on money and what shape he will be in. Remember, he has played 140+ games the last 2 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some teams tell him they're interested if he gets in good shape. If he wants to keep on playing, he may be forced to take better care of himself by the teams that might be interested.

BEETTLEBUG
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Does Tampa need a DH next year ? Could JR be it?

Slyder
10-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Does Tampa need a DH next year ? Could JR be it?

With all the young talent they have BURSTING in the pipeline I cant see them using a roster spot on a guy who cant play anywehre in the field, cant hit like he use to, and wants 3 years after the season he's had....

UNLESS they think he will pack the crowds into Tropicana Field regardless of how well they play.

aerontg
10-08-2008, 02:05 PM
I think that Junior was in the last great generation of players that we will ever see. There is too much money in the game now for players to want to stick around and put up the kinds of numbers that Junior did (and those greater before him did) without the cheating and stat-padding.

ChatterRed
10-08-2008, 03:00 PM
I think that Junior was in the last great generation of players that we will ever see. There is too much money in the game now for players to want to stick around and put up the kinds of numbers that Junior did (and those greater before him did) without the cheating and stat-padding.

I don't know about that. Pujols is only 28 and didn't come to the majors until 2001. He has 1,531 hits, 319 HR's, 342 doubles, 977 rbi, and a career OPS of 1.049. He should easily have 3,000 hits, 650-700 HR's, 700 doubles, 1,900 rbi..........I don't see him slowing down. He is a lock for the HOF unless he completely unravels. I see his career so far as similar to Junior's in that a couple more years (2001-2010) may solidify him as a living legend.

Miguel Cabrera, now playing in Detroit but formerly of the Marlins is only 25 and has 175 career HR's, a career batting average of .309, a career OPS of .921.........he has the ability to possibly hit 500-600 HR's and 2,500 hits (currently has over 1,000 hits).

Vlad Guerrero is 32, has 2,136 hits, 392 HR's, 1,268 rbi's, 404 doubles...................the list goes on.

I wouldn't count out this current generation of players.

I would not count out this next generation of players.

Chi-Town Red
10-08-2008, 03:05 PM
also, if Jr plays into 2010, he will have played in 4 decades...wow!

Oxblood
10-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Save yourself the embarrassment Junior, retire.

Ghosts of 1990
10-10-2008, 08:27 AM
I don't know about that. Pujols is only 28 and didn't come to the majors until 2001. He has 1,531 hits, 319 HR's, 342 doubles, 977 rbi, and a career OPS of 1.049. He should easily have 3,000 hits, 650-700 HR's, 700 doubles, 1,900 rbi..........I don't see him slowing down. He is a lock for the HOF unless he completely unravels. I see his career so far as similar to Junior's in that a couple more years (2001-2010) may solidify him as a living legend.

Miguel Cabrera, now playing in Detroit but formerly of the Marlins is only 25 and has 175 career HR's, a career batting average of .309, a career OPS of .921.........he has the ability to possibly hit 500-600 HR's and 2,500 hits (currently has over 1,000 hits).

Vlad Guerrero is 32, has 2,136 hits, 392 HR's, 1,268 rbi's, 404 doubles...................the list goes on.

I wouldn't count out this current generation of players.

I would not count out this next generation of players.

I might sound like a homer but I do think Bruce will end up with 3,000 hits and between 400-500 home runs.

kpresidente
10-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Griffey can still hit RHers (.840 OPS this season) and his defensive numbers really weren't that bad. If somebody wants to give him 350 ABs in a platoon situation, I think he can still be productive.

Chi-Town Red
10-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Griffey can still hit RHers (.840 OPS this season) and his defensive numbers really weren't that bad. If somebody wants to give him 350 ABs in a platoon situation, I think he can still be productive.
agreed..he will play somewhere next season

ChatterRed
10-13-2008, 09:45 AM
agreed..he will play somewhere next season

I sound like a broken record, I know. But I think any team signing Griffey will want him to lose weight and get into the best shape he's been in, in years.

goreds2
10-13-2008, 07:23 PM
If Jr. could swallow some pride, I think he would make a good DH role player against RH pitchers and some spot outfield play. He could drive in 80 or so runs if you put him in Yankee stadium with that right field porch.

I am glad he is not a Red anymore though as we needed to go young and had to improve the outfield defense. You can't give away outs in our ball park.

I wish him the best. :wave:

Ghosts of 1990
10-14-2008, 09:25 PM
overwhelming yes thus far