PDA

View Full Version : Bako not coming back; Reds intrested in Bard

redhawk61
10-07-2008, 08:49 PM
you already know about Patterson but

From Fay:

Walt Jocketty says the Reds won't bring back Corey Patterson and Paul Bako.
“We’re going to move on,” Jocketty said. “In the case of Bako, we’re looking to improve the catching. (Ryan) Hanigan had a good year. We’re probably going to go younger.”

That's not surprising. Patterson hit .205 for the season. Bako hit .217 -- .189 after a good April.

But looking at the bigger picture here, this tells us that this is going to be Jocketty's roster. Dusty Baker's going to have a say, but not a big one is my guess. I could see him wanting Patterson back as an extra outfielder, but Jocketty dismissed the idea before the offseason has even began.

Jocketty did say the Reds have "mild" interest in Josh Bard. He was released by San Diego. Bard wasn't very good last season and he was hurt a lot. But his 2006 numbers .285/.364/.404 in 389 at-bats were decent.

Jerry Narron
10-07-2008, 08:53 PM
I thought teams weren't supposed to make big moves during the playoffs. :D

redsfandan
10-08-2008, 12:10 AM
kinda like how scott boras made that big announcement about arods contract during last years world series.

Slyder
10-08-2008, 03:20 AM
And how Bora$$ just announced recently that the price he's going to start at for Manny is 5 years for 85 mil.

Anyways good to see the Reds getting the temptations out of the room so Duhhhsty doesnt have the option to play em. Honestly though the moves come 3 months too late. Bard probably wouldnt be a bad guy to tryout in spring training if they see Castillo as more a utility guy rather than catcher. So Hairston is the only "Duhhhsty guy" left.

kpresidente
10-08-2008, 07:54 AM
I like the Josh Bard thing, in a way. Hanigan had a good season in AAA, and looks like he'll nail down the position next season, but you can never be sure with a rookie, even an old one. That means you want a veteran backup. I don't know that Bard is that guy, though. You can probably do better.

Ghosts of 1990
10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Bard seems like kind of Paul Bako-ish.

Patterson leaving? Wipe the tears dusty.

markymark69
10-08-2008, 02:16 PM
If you bring Bard in as the back-up behind Hanigan, that is not really a bad move. The Reds will not have to give up anybody to get him and won't have to break the bank either.

IMO, he's a step up from Bako.

captainmorgan07
10-08-2008, 03:19 PM
I'd take Bard. If he returns to the form of last year he'd be a good guy to have. As they say competition for a spot is not necessarily a bad thing.

redsfandan
10-11-2008, 06:52 AM
Michael Barrett refused a minor league assignment from the pads yesterday so now he's a free agent too a little early. he was pretty good when he was in chicago and he's righthanded. what do people think about taking a look at him if he doesn't want too much?

BEETTLEBUG
10-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Which one would be better Barrett or Bard?

smoke6
10-11-2008, 10:14 AM
I never thought I would say this, but Paul Bako played well for us. Good Luck Paul.

Slyder
10-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Which one would be better Barrett or Bard?

Bard. Theres a reason why Barrett hasnt stuck anywhere and had multiple pitchers want to knock him the... heck out.

GoReds33
10-11-2008, 06:09 PM
I would prefer Bard also. Bard is a veteran, but still relatively young. If he can return to his previous form, and develop like some think he can, he would be a great pickup. I think he's the perfect target, as somebody who can help the young players through growing pains, but still continue our youth movement.

kpresidente
10-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Bard is a switch-hitter, which is probably why they're interested. I have a feeling that's why the went for Castillo from Arizona.