PDA

View Full Version : I want a Jay Bruce autographed baseball--give me a good reason

Ghosts of 1990
10-14-2008, 10:49 PM
So last night my girlfriend asks me "what do you want for your birthday?" which is November 10th.

Right away I smirk and say a Jay Bruce autographed baseball.

She says, "Oh Come on".

I was like, what? Thats what I want.

She said "well you'll just get it and it will sit and collect dust. I want you to get something you can use."

I was like "well thats what I want. its not useless. It's a collectors item"

But I really couldn't give her a better reason. Anyone else here feel me on wanting something like this? Or is it stupid to want an autograph baseball that is in all reality just going to "collect dust"

TheBigLebowski
10-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I have two. Love them both. Girls never understand that kind of stuff.

REDblooded
10-15-2008, 02:03 AM
I also have two.... One is PSA/DNA rookieball authenticated, and was only the 13'th rookie ball authenticated by Bruce. Favorite piece in my collection that includes an orange Johnny Cueto refractor rc (/25)

bounty37h
10-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Happiness isnt enough :)? My wife (fiance at the time) asked what I wanted as a wedding gift a couple years ago after I popped the question. Living in Chapel Hilll NC, I grew up a HUGE Tar Heels fan, so without hesitation, but not really expecting it, I blurted out "signed Michael Jordan jersey". It now hangs on myh living room wall, and she never once questioned it :). Tell her while its collecting dust, it will also be collecting appreciation in value, just like her :)

Ghosts of 1990
10-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Happiness isnt enough :)? My wife (fiance at the time) asked what I wanted as a wedding gift a couple years ago after I popped the question. Living in Chapel Hilll NC, I grew up a HUGE Tar Heels fan, so without hesitation, but not really expecting it, I blurted out "signed Michael Jordan jersey". It now hangs on myh living room wall, and she never once questioned it :). Tell her while its collecting dust, it will also be collecting appreciation in value, just like her :)

thats sweet. both the reason and the item. :cool:

JayBruceFan
10-15-2008, 12:19 PM
I think I have 8 balls, one of his bats, a lot of cards and some other signed stuff.

He is my favorite player. That's why I have a lot of his stuff

Natty Redlocks
10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Tell her you changed your mind; you want a girlfriend who respects your wishes instead.

Ghosts of 1990
10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm hoping she comes through. I don't want to be a butthead and keep asking for it, but I want a signed Bruce ball..... bad.

LexingtonLegend
10-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I also have two.... One is PSA/DNA rookieball authenticated, and was only the 13'th rookie ball authenticated by Bruce. Favorite piece in my collection that includes an orange Johnny Cueto refractor rc (/25)
My wife didn't even have to ask me what I wanted for a wedding gift. While I'm playing golf with my friends the morning of our wedding, I get a box handed to me at the first tee box with and autographed Cal Ripken Jr jersey. Now that's love :)

mroby85
10-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm hoping she comes through. I don't want to be a butthead and keep asking for it, but I want a signed Bruce ball..... bad.

You can probably buy one on ebay for about $30, so worst case scenario, ask for cash, and then by it yourself, lol.:D

freestyle55
10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
If she doesn't get it for you, just shell out a few bucks and go to Redsfest this year, I'm sure he'll be there signing for free. I got his, Bailey's, Dickerson's, Frazier's, Justin Turner's, George Foster's, Todd Benzinger's, Javier Valentin's, and I think someone else (it escapes me right now) all for just walking around and getting in the picture or autograph lines. I've also got pictures of me and my wife with Bruce, Bailey, and Votto up on our walls at home as well...

Well, well worth the price of admission...

Eric_the_Red
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM
If she doesn't get it for you, just shell out a few bucks and go to Redsfest this year, I'm sure he'll be there signing for free.

I agree. To me, the autographed items mean more when you acquire them in person. Plus, you know it is the real deal.

JayBruce
10-16-2008, 08:51 PM
I'll sign your baseball, kid.

Ghosts of 1990
10-16-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll sign your baseball, kid.

Where do i send the ball?

Ghosts of 1990
10-16-2008, 11:41 PM
do you guys think he'll be at redsfest

scounts22
10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
do you guys think he'll be at redsfest

Yes, he was last year. Most players usually come unless they have other obligations. There's usually a great player turn out. If you've never been, go. It's a blast!

Ghosts of 1990
10-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I went in 1996 I believe. It seemed like it was on a saturday night. Met Aaron Boone, Barry Larkin. Remember seeing the World Series Trophy up close. It was great.

freestyle55
10-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, he was last year. Most players usually come unless they have other obligations. There's usually a great player turn out. If you've never been, go. It's a blast!

I would absolutely second that. Last year was the first year that my wife and I went and we had an awesome time. The players are very friendly and some of them will even sign autographs when you're taking pictures with them so it saves you time standing in line, especially if there are two you want at the same time. George Foster was really great, even remembered my wife when we spoke to him early in the day and then later went to get his autograph at a signing session.

Ghosts of 1990
10-17-2008, 02:15 PM
How much is a ticket to get into Redsfest?

carmack42
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I feel you on the autograph. He signed my team ball at Spring Training. I had been collecting all the coaches' sigs and happened to recognize Bruce jogging with the minor leaguers and flagged him down. My dad was indignant. "Why'd you get that no-name minor leaguer to sign your ball?"

Without a beat I said, "Dad, that's Jay Freaking Bruce."

bounty37h
10-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I lucked out last year in Durham-I had won an auction of signed game used jerseys (Evan Longoria limited edition Lance Armstrong jeresy!!!!!), and was in teh front office paying for it after the game, ad waiting for Evan to deliver it to the front. While standing waiting, teh Bats players walked through the lobby on the way to the bus, I jumped out of line when I saw Bruce and Votto walk through the door together!!!! I dont think anyone else recognized or realize,d but looked at me like a crazy fool for getting out of line and acting like the frickin beatles walked in! Got em both to sign balls for me, as well as a bat together, and posed for a pic with me.

scuba17
10-19-2008, 01:33 PM
I never got into autographs. They just seemed kind of silly and pointless to me. More power to you though if thats your thing.

bounty37h
10-20-2008, 11:44 AM
^Yet you took the time to open a thread titled "autograph" and the time to respond that you dont understand or get it? That seems kinda pointless and silly to me.
Mail came Saturday, and I got an autographed pic from Joey Votto, really amazed me, as I sent it off at the begining of spring training!! Long turnaround, but def a very nice surprise at this point!!!! I once sent Mike Schmidtt a card, and got it back signed nearly 3 plus years later!

Ghosts of 1990
10-20-2008, 11:21 PM
ahhh take me back to my days as a kid. Sending stuff via mail. Frank Thomas sent me a photo copied black and white piece of paper. :(

scounts22
10-21-2008, 07:35 AM
How much is a ticket to get into Redsfest?

Tickets are around $10-$15. I can't remember the exact price, but I know they had a deal on the price if you attend both days.

bounty37h
10-21-2008, 10:02 AM
ahhh take me back to my days as a kid. Sending stuff via mail. Frank Thomas sent me a photo copied black and white piece of paper. :(

My buddy growing up was a Mets fan, and I got him into collecting cards and autos with me. We both sent out letters and cards to all the players on our teams one year, and he got one back (I can't remember who it was though, for some reason I was thinking Mookie WIlson, but that doesnt sound right to me now), and it looked like a photocopy of his butt. Didn't sign the cards either.

Ghosts of 1990
10-30-2008, 01:31 PM
bump for redsfest info

Eric_the_Red
11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Redsfest tickets went on sale today, FYI.

Mr.MojoRisin
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
I'd love to get an autograph of his. I'm definatley going to try.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2009, 11:40 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UYl4EeW8xVg/Sd6vLITDk5I/AAAAAAAAFzw/9I2TWfSCEy8/s400/Bruceball.bmp

Thought I'd post this. Mission accomplished finally.

TheBigLebowski
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UYl4EeW8xVg/Sd6vLITDk5I/AAAAAAAAFzw/9I2TWfSCEy8/s400/Bruceball.bmp

Thought I'd post this. Mission accomplished finally.

Cool. Signature looks exactly like the one on my two. Now find a nice display case for it and put it in a prominent location.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Now I've gotta track down Votto, Cueto, Bailey, Volquez :)

WILD THING
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM
That's pretty cool. How did you go about getting it? Did you catch him before a game or send out for it, or get it from a memorabilia store? I've never really been one for autographs, but that's one that I would put on my Reds shelf above the fireplace.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2009, 03:47 PM
That's pretty cool. How did you go about getting it? Did you catch him before a game or send out for it, or get it from a memorabilia store? I've never really been one for autographs, but that's one that I would put on my Reds shelf above the fireplace.

He was signing at the Kenwood mall. My cousin and unclel live nearby there and they dropped the ball off and got it signed and picked it up for me. They were nice enough to do it as a surprise just because they know I'm a pretty big Bruce fan.