PDA

View Full Version : I wish...

Griffey012
10-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I wish that next year we could be rooting on a team LIKE the D Rays. And I mean a team that is scrappy, cocky, doesn't take any crap from any team, and hustles 9 players 162 games a year. No matter the record, a team like that would be good to watch, and a team like that with our pitching just might get us somewhere.

RedLakerFan24
10-17-2008, 02:25 AM
i feel that we are one bat away from being contenders because we have the pitching

Ghosts of 1990
10-17-2008, 07:41 AM
And I feel after watching quite a bit of the Rays this season, that not only is Maddon a great manager, but he's a great manager for that group. I don't think he and Baker are in the same league to be honest.

Ghosts of 1990
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
A manager is only as good as his mesh with his unit. If you'd rate Dusty's "mesh" with this current group, I'd say its 75-80 at best.

I'd rate Maddon with the Rays at over 95.

Orodle
10-18-2008, 06:30 AM
i feel that we are one bat away from being contenders because we have the pitching

The Reds were ranked 23rd in pitching this past season....and last in hitting. We are more than one bat away and definately need some more pitchers.

I'd give Maddon a perfect 100, worst to first ...cant get much better than that.

Ghosts of 1990
10-18-2008, 08:04 AM
We are more than just a bat away IMO, but how far away were the Rays last season coming into this season? You know what I mean?

The only difference is they have a better lineup now then we will have next year, as we should have retained Dunn or definitely need to go after someone to replace Dunn's production or the lineup will heavily suffer. I do think the pitching talent for us is there like it is for the Rays. Another thing is, you don't just need a closer to reach the LCS you need a closer having a dominant season. Like Cordero, people look at that spot and say "oh the hole is filled, we have Coco". But the way I think it should be looked at, is if it came right down to it; we might never make an league championship series because Cordero (while being a very solid closer for a team that wants to simply "contend"), would never have the type of season that a Lidge did this year, or a K-Rod, or a Percival. We simply need guys to have unreal seasons next year and do something not expected of them if we're going to make it this far. Believe me, there's nothing I've wanted worse in any sport as a fan. I need this Reds team to turn it around and make the postseason.

redsfandan
10-18-2008, 08:47 AM
The Reds were ranked 23rd in pitching this past season....and last in hitting. We are more than one bat away and definately need some more pitchers.

I'd give Maddon a perfect 100, worst to first ...cant get much better than that.

i think you're taking a snapshot view of our pitching which kinda sells them short. imo, if everyone is healthy, they could easily jump up into the top 15 teams in pitching next year or even top 10.
i agree that maddon did a great job but you can't overlook what their front office did too. a team with only a $43 million payroll and not only are they in the playoffs but they beat everyones expectations and won their division and still have a shot at a place in the world series. now that's impressive and what i'd like to see the reds do. don't try to outspend teams, beat them in drafting and scouting instead.

... Another thing is, you don't just need a closer to reach the LCS you need a closer having a dominant season. Like Cordero, people look at that spot and say "oh the hole is filled, we have Coco". But the way I think it should be looked at, is if it came right down to it; we might never make an league championship series because Cordero (while being a very solid closer for a team that wants to simply "contend"), would never have the type of season that a Lidge did this year, or a K-Rod, or a Percival. ...

ok now something about that just doesn't look right. ;)