PDA

View Full Version : Why not Rios?

Gamble
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Realistically I feel Matt Holliday would be a long shot and require much more talent than the Reds are willing to part with. The outfielder I would love to see the Reds obtain is Alex Rios. He is signed through 2014 for $64 million and also has an option for 2015 that would make the contract $77.5 million. I feel a package of Daryl Thompson, Drew Stubbs, and Jim Maloney would be fair and draw some interest.

The key free agents I want to see the Reds go after would be Orlando Hudson (moving Phillips back to short) and John Lackey.

Orlando Hudson 3 year 7.5 million/per
John Lackey 4 year 12.5 million/per
Resign - Affeldt, Weathers, Hairston

CF. Chris Dickerson
2B. Orlando Hudson
1B. Joey Votto
LF. Alex Rios
RF. Jay Bruce
3B. Edwin Encarnacion
SS. Brandon Phillips
C. Ryan Hanigan

Aaron Harang
Edinson Volquez
John Lackey
Bronson Arroyo
Johnny Cueto

David Weathers
Micah Owings
Bill Bray
Jeremy Affeldt
Josh Roenicke
Jared Burton
Francisco Cordero

Realistic? or just wishful thinking?

ChatterRed
10-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Going after Rios was brought up last year.

I'm not against it, for the right people, of course. He's young and his best years are ahead of him.

kpresidente
10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
What do you do with Votto after Alonso's ready?

Emin3mShady07
10-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Rios could play center, bruce in right and Votto in left. The reds could then use dickerson to spell guys and if they needed a faster runner in late game situations.

E. Davis 44
10-27-2008, 07:43 PM
i would love those signings, we would be a much better team, and a lock for the playoffs with that pitching staff. I think Lackey will cost more than that though.

redhawk61
10-27-2008, 09:20 PM
The real question is why would the Jays trade Rios?

ChatterRed
10-27-2008, 09:31 PM
I read somewhere that they may try Alonso at 3B next season.

Stephenk29
10-27-2008, 10:00 PM
The real question is why would the Jays trade Rios?

The Blue Jays are not that bad of team right now. There would be no reason to trade him unless they were overwhelmed.

Nasty_Boy
10-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Also Lackey is going to get 15-20 mil a season. He may take a slight discount to stay in Los Anaheim, but I think the Angels have an option on him this season. He's a very underrated pitch, and I would love the Reds to acquire him but I don't see it being possible.

As far as Hudson, he was a guy a really wanted the Reds to go after.... but I've been reading that he's lost a step and that his defense this season was no where close to what its been in the past. This whole SS thing could be solved by sliding BP over. There's really no reason not to do it, unless he's objecting for some reason. We could fill the 2B position much easier than SS from within the organization, I just don't understand the hold up.

Ohioballplayer
10-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Alonso himself said it best, I am good enough athletically to play left or 3rd, I will play wherever I am needed. Let him go to left or 3rd his is alot more agile than Votto.

Nasty_Boy
10-28-2008, 01:02 PM
There is no way that Alonso moves better than Votto. Votto is long and athletic, but he lacks the hands and the feel around the bag to be a top notch 1st baseman. Alonso is shorter and stockier, but he has great instincts around the bag. He could probably play 3rd or LF in a pinch, but Votto is athletic enough to make a good OF, it just won't happen overnight.

RedLakerFan24
10-28-2008, 02:18 PM
i think it would take alot more to go for Rios becasue of his Contract then go for Holliday, the rockies made it clear that they want to shop Holliday and that takes away his value, if you remember last year everybody knew the Twins were shoppings santana so they offered less than his value, this will happen to Holliday as well, about hudson i do like that idea, and if not hudson i like furcal, there is no chance of getting lackey because the Angles will lock him up

schmidty622
10-28-2008, 02:21 PM
I wonder if the Rocks would consider Atkins for Arroyo and a Spec? I also wonder if Atkins would be able to play LF? (or if Votto could while Atkins was @ 1st.)

Do that move and then sign Oliver Perez!

Ghosts of 1990
10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Rios would be tight. I could see him here for sure. Vernon Wells would be even more of a splash, IMO

schmidty622
10-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Rios would be tight. I could see him here for sure. Vernon Wells would be even more of a splash, IMO

Vernon Wells has not looked good the last two years.

Edit:

He was solid last year. I was thinking about the year before. It would probably cost a good amount to get him, but I'd be ok with that signing.

ChatterRed
10-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Right now, Alonso' lack of a position and reputation as a good hitter gives me this comparison to Edgar Martinez.

Nasty_Boy
10-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Alonso has a position... It's 1st base. He has better hands than Votto and a better feel for the position. Votto is far more athletic and has superior range, but Alonso's glove paired with the range of Phillips makes him better suited for the position. Votto is going to end up in the OF or on another team.

ChatterRed
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Alonso has a position... It's 1st base. He has better hands than Votto and a better feel for the position. Votto is far more athletic and has superior range, but Alonso's glove paired with the range of Phillips makes him better suited for the position. Votto is going to end up in the OF or on another team.

If Votto gets traded, I will seriously become doubtful of Castellini's and Jocketty's ability to build a team. Not kidding.

Nasty_Boy
10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Depends on the return