PDA

View Full Version : if you were to trade a pitcher...

redsfandan
10-28-2008, 05:08 PM
if you were to make one of our 4 set starting pitchers available which one would you pick?

morande
10-28-2008, 05:15 PM
I would trade away Bronson, I am still not sold on his abilities, Volquez and Cueto both have nasty stuff. Harang wouldn't be worth it after the year he had, and I know hes going to turn it around.

Bip Roberts
10-28-2008, 05:19 PM
Harang probably because he would net us the best over all return and still dump cash. Volquez and cueto are too cheap, and Bronson doesnt have enough trade value to really get us much.

Farnsie
10-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Would be lovely to hear the arguments from those who voted on Cueto and Volquez.

HalMorrisRules
10-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Would be lovely to hear the arguments from those who voted on Cueto and Volquez.

Volquez = Jack Armstrong. I have felt this in my bones but I will gladly be wrong but I just am not that sure about him becoming a consistent picture year in and year out. I am not saying to trade him but since the question was asked, I would like to see what kind of return the Reds could get for him.

Emin3mShady07
10-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Volquez = Jack Armstrong. I have felt this in my bones but I will gladly be wrong but I just am not that sure about him becoming a consistent picture year in and year out. I am not saying to trade him but since the question was asked, I would like to see what kind of return the Reds could get for him.

:p:You can't let your feelings cloud your vision. Volquez has struck out more than a batter per inning in his entire minor league career with a 3.69 ERA, which is pretty good. Also, Volquez has a much better k/bb ratio than armstrong. They are entirely different pitchers.:)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/armstja01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/volqued01.shtml

HalMorrisRules
10-28-2008, 10:48 PM
:p:You can't let your feelings cloud your vision. Volquez has struck out more than a batter per inning in his entire minor league career with a 3.69 ERA, which is pretty good. Also, Volquez has a much better k/bb ratio than armstrong. They are entirely different pitchers.:)
http://www.baseball-reference.com/a/armstja01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/volqued01.shtml

I freely admit that I have no statistical proof behind my thinking, just a gut feeling. I would gladly be wrong in this case.

Stephenk29
10-28-2008, 11:43 PM
First gut tells me Arroyo, but Harang definitely has something wrong with his arm (I'm assuming). But I still think he can get some value in a trade. Part of me says don't trade any of them anyway.

fadetoblack2880
10-29-2008, 01:11 AM
tough call. to me, it depends on the return. salary dump i'd go with harang or arroyo, probably arroyo. now if youre trading for a power rh bat with whom youre guaranteed several years, volquez or cueto, probably cueto.

flash
10-29-2008, 08:41 AM
I am torn between Harang and Arroyo. I have a feeling that there is something wrong with Harang. Not discounting however the guy is guile and gut personified. I just feel that he may be on his way down. He surprised a lot of people. He was never supposed to be a CY contender, but he was. He may have reached the high water mark of his career. Arroyo could be a really great pitcher, but I get the feeling he doesn't focus sometimes and it leads to problems for him. Volquez and Cueto are both too young to even consider trading at this point.

Slyder
10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Have one off year and people are ready to hang em high... Trading Harang now would be the exact definition of selling low. For the first time in his years in Cincy he wasnt healthy and people are ready to throw him over board. *sigh*

Anyhoo. Bronson gets my vote, when he's on he can be a very good 2 borderline 1 but when he's not he shouldnt even be in the rotation. If someone's willing to pay up youre more likely to be able to replace Bronson with one of the kids or replace him with a cheaper free agent to be than any of the other 3.

roby
10-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Have one off year and people are ready to hang em high... Trading Harang now would be the exact definition of selling low. For the first time in his years in Cincy he wasnt healthy and people are ready to throw him over board. *sigh*

Anyhoo. Bronson gets my vote, when he's on he can be a very good 2 borderline 1 but when he's not he shouldnt even be in the rotation. If someone's willing to pay up youre more likely to be able to replace Bronson with one of the kids or replace him with a cheaper free agent to be than any of the other 3.

I agree. It would be insanity to trade AAron Harang. He will be fine this year, and will anchor a much improved Reds pitching staff. I would like to keep all four, but if I had to trade one...it would be Arroyo.

Stephenk29
10-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't see it as hanging him high, I'm far from saying he's washed up. He still has major trade value. He is older than the Cueto and Volquez. He's GOOD and that's why I would think he would get us a pretty productive bat in return. Since he is 30 he will be on the down slope before to long.

BUT I think everyone agrees, no way should we trade any of them

Ghosts of 1990
10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Harang. He could bring more than arroyo and even though I like Harang better than Arroyo, I think the difference isn't that much or wont be from here on out in production. He'll bring a bigger difference in a trade though. I don't expect any of these guys to go anywhere unless we fall out of things next year as well.

Ghosts of 1990
10-29-2008, 04:10 PM
For the first time ever we have an abundance of arms though. Those guys then Ramirez, Bailey, and many others for that 5th spot

redsfandan
10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
i'd love to know why people would deal volquez or cueto. is it just cuz we may receive more for them?
a team like the reds needs to build with young cheap talent. it doesn't work if you have a young cheap talented arm and deal him for an expensive player that would very likely leave in one year anyway. we don't need the reds to be a farm team to other teams.

Jack Burton
10-31-2008, 12:34 PM
Arroyo had a stellar 2nd half of the season, I'm sure his stock would be pretty high if spun the right way.

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Arroyo had a stellar 2nd half of the season, I'm sure his stock would be pretty high if spun the right way.

i agree. although it probably makes more sense for him to start the season as a red. there's already some decent quality pitchers available now. it would be better if the buyers didn't have as many options which would help improve the return. IF owings, ramirez, and thompson look ok the first couple months of the season he'd be expendable imo and i'd look to deal him in june/july.

gedred69
11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
I wouldn't trade any of these 4 unless someone offered something unbelievable. There are other yet to fully bloom prospects in the pipes that other teams would take a shot at that I'd let go of 1st. Harang should bounce back---unless there is something wrong, in which case he would likely fail the mandatory physical in a trade anyway. Arroyo is such an innings eater, and is as good as any #3 or #4. Cueto's potential is so high, he could even prove to be another head case like Zambrano and any team would STILL want him. Volquez just finished a stellar season, that makes me think he's got a few more in him. Rangers knew what he could be, that's why it took so many tries to pry him away.