PDA

View Full Version : Is it time...

Nasty_Boy
10-29-2008, 10:57 PM
to put to rest the myth that high power, high strikeout teams, that play in small parks can't win it all?

The Phills had an ace, a couple of average starters, and a lights out bullpen. They also slugged the crap out of the ball. They didn't hit for an extremely high average, but they got on base and scored runs.

It was also nice to see the NL beat the AL, even though the Rays were a great story.

ChatterRed
10-29-2008, 11:07 PM
The Reds OBP sucked. Gotta make those HR's count.

redsfandan
10-30-2008, 05:18 AM
to me this is just another example that shows if you make the playoffs anything is possible.

Nasty_Boy
10-30-2008, 10:08 AM
The Reds OBP sucked. Gotta make those HR's count.

Absolutely! Walt's needs to bring in guys that get on base. And everybody should be required to take hitting lessons from Votto (not Dusty!) about being patient and working the count. He gets it, I wish a few others would too... Paging Brandon Phillips

Nasty_Boy
10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
to me this is just another example that shows if you make the playoffs anything is possible.

It shows me that you don't have to win with a NL style of play. The past 2 seasons teams have won the World Series with high OBP, high SLG teams. Small ball is not the way!

kpresidente
10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
This doesn't say anything except that the Rays bats went dead over a 5 game stretch, which is just chance.

Jack Burton
10-31-2008, 12:24 PM
This doesn't say anything except that the Rays bats went dead over a 5 game stretch, which is just chance.
Exactly, except I give some credit to the Phillies pitching staff on holding them down. In my opinion the Phillies had a terrible series offensively, their avg w/ risp must have been the worst ever for a winning team in the world series.

Nasty_Boy
10-31-2008, 04:06 PM
Yes, because BA w/RISP is... wait for it... meaningless! If you get on base and you slug, you will score runs.

10-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Yes, because BA w/RISP is... wait for it... meaningless! If you get on base and you slug, you will score runs.

Actually, a five game series shows nothing, but if it did, this year's World Series would actually show how important hitting with RISP is.

The Phillies had a terrible offensive series, except for game 4, when they scored 10 runs. This was the only game where they hit well with RISP, and they only game where they scored a bunch of runs. They won the other games because they were able to shut down the Rays offensively.

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 05:14 PM
you could still say that tampa had the better season cuz they won 30+ more games than the previous year and reached the world series after being doormats for so many seasons.
i still think that all this proves is that anyone that makes the playoffs has a chance to win it all.

Emin3mShady07
10-31-2008, 06:25 PM

I wouldn't say that BA w/RISP in meaningless, but it does certainly take a back seat to OBP and Sluging.

Mitri
10-31-2008, 07:06 PM
The Phillies also, for the most part, played excellent defense. That makes the pitching imperfections go down a lot smoother and also helps the bullpen get into dominant grooves.

They also got solid veteran/role play when it counted. They had an amazing core - Hamels, Lidge, Utley, Rollins, Howard, Burrell, and Victorino - and were very balanced everywhere else.

It's easy to say now, but they've been the best team in baseball for most of the year.