PDA

View Full Version : Manny?

Slyder
10-30-2008, 10:31 AM
On ESPN Buster Olney was just discussing some of the FAs to be and they said that Manny's market wasn't likely to develop like he was hoping (4x25 per).

He said...
Of course he's not going back to Boston.
Yankees have LF in Matsui and Damon (I still see them playing a role)
Dodgers aren't going to give him the massive contract.
Mets are going after 3 things... Pitching, pitching, and you guessed it more pitching.

If those 4 teams are out of it and you could possibly be in the ballpark consideration at 3x15-20 per would you investigate it if you were Jocketty?

I would. He's from Santo Domingo originally help with the Hispanic fans and maybe help us in scouting/pr department there. Not to mention put fear back in the middle of the lineup.

schmidty622
10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Eh. If we could bring him in for 13-17 for 2-3 years, why not. We could always use him as trade bait if a younger option came along.

I highly doubt he would want to come to Cincy though.

Orenda
10-30-2008, 10:49 AM
If the reds were to sign Manny I wouldn't want them to give him a no-trade clause. Any FA brought in is going to be a short-term fix, be it 1-5 years and we have seen the downside of signing FA's with little trade value (Stanton, Milton, Patterson, Hatteburg). They may fit your budget and make a marginal improvement in the teams overall makeup but they are not legitimate pieces for WS contenders unless there is already a strong majority of young players in place. If the Reds are going to spend the money on Manny, Ordonez, or whoever it may be, than it might be wise to pay more for the guy with the most long-term trade-value. That allows the reds to deal that FA for a good supply of young talent if the team falls out of contention etc. Also they could free up money to sign young guys like Jay Bruce long-term in the event that he starts to look more like those Larry Walker comparisons rather than rookie Jay Bruce.

schmidty622
10-30-2008, 10:59 AM
If the reds were to sign Manny I wouldn't want them to give him a no-trade clause. Any FA brought in is going to be a short-term fix, be it 1-5 years and we have seen the downside of signing FA's with little trade value (Stanton, Milton, Patterson, Hatteburg). They may fit your budget and make a marginal improvement in the teams overall makeup but they are not legitimate pieces for WS contenders unless there is already a strong majority of young players in place. If the Reds are going to spend the money on Manny, Ordonez, or whoever it may be, than it might be wise to pay more for the guy with the most long-term trade-value. That allows the reds to deal that FA for a good supply of young talent if the team falls out of contention etc. Also they could free up money to sign young guys like Jay Bruce long-term in the event that he starts to look more like those Larry Walker comparisons rather than rookie Jay Bruce.

Agree.

Emin3mShady07
10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Manny is going to demand a huge contract probably 20 million or more. Yeah, it would be great if someone could sign him in the 15-18 million dollar range, but I doubt that happens. Someone will give him the big paycheck and I don't think it will be the reds

redsfandan
10-30-2008, 11:17 AM
i doubt he'll be a red and that's fine with me. i just have a hunch he'll want too much money. add in how old he is, his (lack of) defense, his baggage, and the chances that he'd be able to reach expectations and i'll pass. '08 was his best year in awhile and people thought he was on the decline. i think it was kinda interesting that his big year was in essentially an option year. my bet is whoever he plays for will not get their money worth.

fadetoblack2880
10-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, can you see this scenario? They sign him, the team continues to flounder and he requests a trade. Imagine the uproar on this board...

fewfirstchoice
10-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Just say no to Obama, I mean Manny.

RedLakerFan24
10-30-2008, 01:27 PM
i would offer manny a 4yr/100mil because like that we dont ruin our farm system, because alot of guys want Holliday or Ordonez but we would have our farm system depleted, i rather pay Manny 25 million than 18 million to ordonez

Dikerson
Phillips
Votto
Manny
Bruce
Encarnacion
Stalmachia (trade bailey for him)
Gonzalez

Ghosts of 1990
10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
He'd never play here. Ever. Its just not a fit.

ChatterRed
10-30-2008, 05:17 PM
I'd overpay for a shorter term contract.

fadetoblack2880
10-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Just say no to Obama, I mean Manny.

I say no to both of them.

morande
10-30-2008, 08:55 PM
jarrod saltalamacchia????

goreds2
11-02-2008, 09:45 PM
He's the type of guy that would place the team on his shoulders taking pressure off the younger players. SIGN HIM!

Newport Red
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Can the Reds put enough players on base for Manny to be Manny?

redsfandan
11-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Can the Reds put enough players on base for Manny to be Manny?

we want manny to be manny here? isn't that why boston became so sick of him???

ChatterRed
11-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Let's pay Manny $60 million over 2 years. Hehehe.

GOYA
11-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Walt wants defense. Manny is not defense. The offense is very impressive but I don't see Jocketty giving him much of a thought.

redsfandan
11-05-2008, 07:23 AM
dr evil strikes again ...

Boras sets parameters for Manny deal 11/04/08 11:56 PM EST
Says slugger should be 'treated at the same stature' as A-Rod, Bonds By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

DANA POINT, Calif. -- Scott Boras hit the hotel lobby on Tuesday and said he was setting up meetings with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti to talk about the future of his top client, free agent Manny Ramirez.

But Boras, the agent who also represents other top free agents such as Mark Teixeira, Derek Lowe and Jason Varitek, laid down the gauntlet as far as Ramirez is concerned: He expects Manny to be recognized with the same length of contract and a similar rate of pay as Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez.

"I did Barry Bonds' contract with Ned [with San Francisco in 2001] when he was a year older than Manny," Boras said. "Back then there really wasn't a benchmark. But last year, when we did Alex the key negotiating point was that he be paid to the same age that Barry Bonds was paid. And so we have two extraordinary hitters in Bonds and A-Rod that were paid to the age of 42.

"Bonds was a franchise player who literally paid for himself with the people he put in the seats and his historic home run performance. Those players are like Manny Ramirez."

Bonds, the all-time leader with 762 homers, was 37 years old when he signed a five-year, $90 million contract with the Giants after his historic 73-homer season in 2001. A-Rod was 32 last year when he signed a 10-year, $275 million contract with the Yankees.

Ramirez is now 36, which prescribes a six-year deal for him under the Boras formula. That would seem to preclude the Dodgers, who internally have been discussing offering Ramirez two years at $55 million, although that offer -- or any offer at all -- has yet to be made.

Asked if he would accept a shorter contract at this point, Boras said: "Let's see, would you rather have desert and coffee? No, I think Manny realizes he wants to go to a place where he'll be there a long time and being part of an organization. And this point he's just looking to be treated at the same stature as other players who are at that unique level of Bonds and A-Rod."

As far as the Dodgers go, Boras said he had been in contact with Colletti via text messages, but declined to say whether he'd actually spoken with him on the phone or met in person.

Colletti made it clear on Tuesday that the two parties had not yet met.

"I have a couple of meetings set up, with Scott," he said. "It'll be the first time we've talked about [Manny]. I expect it to go the way initial meetings go."

Colletti again made it clear that other free-agent signings could preclude the Dodgers from inking Ramirez later in the offseason. The Dodgers are interested in signing free-agent left-hander CC Sabathia, who pitched the Brewers into the postseason after being acquired from the Indians in July.

The Dodgers are also talking to a pair of their own free agents, Casey Blake and Rafael Furcal.

"We have to go about our business," Colletti said. "Any time you have more than one player you feel the need to add, you have to take them as the time line dictates, as circumstances dictate. Timing is an important piece of it. You can't dictate it. We've called our free agents and told them of our interest. They've expressed interest in coming back and also finding out what's out there. There's risk with everybody -- maybe some added risk with some [players]."

The Dodgers obtained Ramirez from the Red Sox in a last-minute July 31 non-waiver deadline trade. Ramirez quickly became a fan favorite and had a huge impact on the field, carrying the Dodgers past the D-backs to win the National League West title and as far as Game 5 of the NL Championship Series, where they were eliminated by the eventual World Series champion Phillies.

In 53 games with Los Angeles, Ramirez batted .396 with 17 homers and 53 RBIs as the Dodgers drew 3.7 million, second in the NL only to the Mets. In eight postseason games, Ramirez batted .520 (13-for-25) with four homers and 10 RBIs.

Previous to that, Ramirez and the Red Sox had won the World Series twice in four years.

Boras scoffed at the notion that the Dodgers might not be able to sign Ramirez if they spend their money on others first.

"I don't know how many deals are out there that pay for themselves and are for a franchise player," he said. "If there are I don't know of any. There may be one or two, but not too many."

Barry M. Bloom is a national reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081104&content_id=3664378&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

Farney
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Im sure that Manny doesn't even know Cincinnati has a baseball team.

Emin3mShady07
11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
That article pretty much solidifies that Manny will not ever sign with the Reds. The reds would be best suited to offer a short-term contract and there is no way that Boras lets Manny sign it whether he wants to come to cincinnati or not