PDA

View Full Version : How about Abreu or Bradley? both?

Gamble
10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
It's the first day of the offseason and I can’t wait to see what Walt does with the Reds. Until then how about this for an idea to pass the time..

Everyone knows the Reds biggest weakness is their lack of getting on-base. So here are two impact players I feel that would make a difference, Milton Bradley and Bobby Abreu.

I didn't hear much last year of Milton Bradley's attitude in Texas, but is he still considered a cancer in the clubhouse? He destroyed the ball last season and proved he could get on base at a high percentage over the years. The downfall is that he has yet to put together a full season over the years. He made 5.25 million last season, how much would he command this year? Bobby Abreu is exactly the type of bat the Reds need, not only that but he would an asset in the clubhouse, he made 16 million last season, but couldn’t possibly get that much again could he? Add in Orlando Hudson to play second and the Reds could have something like this…

2B. Orlando Hudson (S)
RF. Bobby Abreu (L)
LF. Milton Bradley (S)
1B. Joey Votto (L)
3B. Edwin Encarnacion (R)
CF. Jay Bruce (L)
SS. Brandon Phillips (R)
C. Ryan Hanigan (R)

Milton Bradley 2 years 8 million/per
Bobby Abreu 3 years 12 million/per
Orlando Hudson 3 year 7.5 million/per

Can’t wait to hear everyone’s input, would you rather have Raul Ibanez over Abreu or Bradley? How would you work him into the lineup?

NeilHamburger
10-30-2008, 04:29 PM
Love it, I've been pushing for Bradley since July. If the Reds could somehow unload Cordero and move Burton to closer, use some of the money to make Affeldt the 8th inning guy then they could easily afford that lineup.

Ghosts of 1990
10-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Bradley would be good. But he strikes me as another guy who is looking for greener pastures than Cincy. I really do think a limited # of free agents want to come here or would agree to sign here with the current state we're in.

ChatterRed
10-30-2008, 05:12 PM
I can't stand the idea of Bradley. He rarely plays 100 games in a season. He seems to always be hurt, and he ain't getting any younger. I'd rather pay someone who has a good track record of staying healthy.

ChatterRed
10-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Bradley would be good. But he strikes me as another guy who is looking for greener pastures than Cincy. I really do think a limited # of free agents want to come here or would agree to sign here with the current state we're in.

GABP is a good place to pad your offensive numbers.

Also, I think the Reds showed in the second half that they are turning the corner.

RedLakerFan24
10-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Milton Bradley said he wants more than 2 years, he said it that he wants a long term contract, and he in the outfield could get injured, i much rather sign Manny and Hudson then those 3 players combine

1. Dikerson
2. Hudson
3. Votto
4. Manny
5. Phillips
6. Bruce
7. Encarnacion
8. Hanigan

kpresidente
10-30-2008, 08:14 PM
What would that cost us in draft picks? 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

morande
10-30-2008, 08:35 PM
i love the idea of both milton and bobby but i agree with jaybruce up there that even if we come up with the money will they come here?

RedLakerFan24
10-30-2008, 09:07 PM
1.Chris Dikerson CF
2.Orlando Hudson 2B
3.Joey Votto 1B
4.Milton Bradley LF
5.Brandon Phillips 2B
6.Jay Bruce RF
7.Edwin Encarnacion 3B
8.Hanigan/Castillo C

Emin3mShady07
10-30-2008, 09:34 PM
i love the idea of both milton and bobby but i agree with jaybruce up there that even if we come up with the money will they come here?

I don't know about Hudson. The Mets and the White Sox have expressed interest and unfortunately for the Reds, if there is a bidding war I would expect New york to come out on top. Also, bradley would be a great addition. Per Plate Appearances, he was the most productive hitter in the American League this past season with an OPS+ of 163 and the lowest OBP he has posted in the last 5 years was .350 which is still above average. Bradley is a Type A free agent,so he will cost some draft picks, but he most likely would be productive enough to outweigh that cost. I am not sure what he would command on the market but with some of his health risks and lack of inflator stats like RBI, I do not believe it would be more than 10 MM/Year. Abreu would be a good pickup too with his good numbers over the last few years and his LD% has been in line with his BABIP over the past 5 seasons so his numbers are not luck driven. He had a respectable OPS last year of .843 and would be worth about 10MM/Yr, but he might demand more money coming from the Yankees.

schmidty622
10-30-2008, 10:27 PM
1.Chris Dikerson CF
2.Orlando Hudson 2B
3.Joey Votto 1B
4.Milton Bradley LF
5.Brandon Phillips 2B
6.Jay Bruce RF
7.Edwin Encarnacion 3B
8.Hanigan/Castillo C

Two 2nd basemen... I LOVE IT

Emin3mShady07
10-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Obviously you would move over either Hudson or Phillips, but with EE still at 3rd, the infields defense would still be a question mark because there is no telling how (probably phillips) one of those guys would handle a move to SS. Hudson had a very low RZR this past season at 2B, so his defense may be starting to decline with his age. Phillips was very good at 2B, but woiuld probably be average at SS. I feel that Phillips would be about 15 runs better than Kepp at SS and about 1 or 2 runs better than Hudson at short so the reds would gain about 1.5 wins by signing hudson. But if the reds were really going to move Phillips over to SS then they could very well just out keppinger at 2B and if he was able to post numbers to those similar to what he did in April (.300/.350/.416) he would be just about as valuable as Hudson (career numbers .282/.346/.433) without the contract that Hudson would demand

fadetoblack2880
10-31-2008, 12:42 AM
bradley maybe, abreu nope

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 10:27 AM
i'd only want one and i'm not sure i'd want either one. we only need one outfielder for 2-3 years that can drive in some runs, play at least ok defense and preferably isn't real risky. not sure how well those two would fit that. depends on the money/length of contract.

fwiw, if we wanted a 2nd baseman i would've preferred ellis over hudson. oakland made a nice deal in my opinion.

Nasty_Boy
10-31-2008, 11:09 AM
No on all counts. Abreu will cost too much and he's a butcher in the field. Bradley is fragile, both mentally and physically. Hudson is coming off a serious injury and a season in which he took a significant step back on the defensive side. I guess if I had to pick one it would be Hudson, and move Phillips to SS.