View Full Version : Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner now available

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 01:58 AM
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=.jsp&c_id=was

Quote:
Cordero's Nats tenure likely over

Wagner, Orr also outrighted, decline Minors assignments

By Bill Ladson / MLB.com
WASHINGTON -- The Nationals announced on Thursday that the club has outrighted right-handers Chad Cordero and Ryan Wagner and infielder Pete Orr to Triple-A Syracuse. All three declined the assignment to Syracuse and elected to become free agents, according to a Major League source. Washington made the moves to make room for some of its Minor Leaguers on the 40-man roster, thus protecting them from the Rule 5 Draft.

Cordero, 26, is considered one of the best closers in Nationals/Expos history, saving 128 games and compiling a 2.78 ERA during his career. His best season was in 2005, when he saved 47 games to go with a 1.82 ERA.

Cordero missed most of the 2008 season because of a labrum tear in his right shoulder. He had surgery on July 8 and is expected to be ready for Spring Training. The right-hander visited Dr. Lewis Yocum for a checkup on Thursday and is expected to start throwing in two weeks. In between, Cordero is expected to get married on Nov. 8 and go on his honeymoon. He will also be a father in May.

"[Dr. Yocum] talked to my agent today and said that everything was looking good," Cordero said. "He told him that my shoulder strength is excellent and my arm is healing very well. Everything is going good."

Although he didn't play most of the year, Cordero found his name in the news last July, when general manager Jim Bowden told Sports Talk 980 AM in Washington that Cordero would be non-tendered. Cordero made $6 million this past season. Sources indicated that Cordero would not come back to the Nationals if Bowden was still the general manager. Bowden later apologized to Cordero and his agent, Larry Reynolds.

But Cordero is now open to coming back to the Nationals for the 2009 season. He acknowledged that it was an emotional time for him last July.

"Yeah, I'm open to coming back. I'm not going to close the door on anybody," Cordero said. "Obviously, I had a great time in D.C. and with the organization. This year was a tough time for me. I'm going to keep my options open. If it works out, I'll come back, and that would be awesome."

Wagner, who was part of the eight-player trade that sent left-hander Bill Bray to the Reds in 2006, didn't play a game in the Major Leagues this past season in part because of right shoulder problems. However, he played for Triple-A Columbus and went 0-3 with a 5.68 ERA in 16 games.

Wagner, 26, said he was surprised about being outrighted to Syracuse, but that he is looking to move on.

"I'm as healthy as I've been since 2004," he said. "I threw the ball well at the end of the year. I'm anxious to see where I end up."

Orr, 29, spent time with Triple-A Columbus and the Nationals. In 49 games for Washington, Orr hit .253 with seven RBIs. Orr said he was not surprised by the moves because the team wants to add Minor Leaguers to the roster.

"They have interest in me coming back and I have interest in coming back," Orr said. "I would not say it's the end in Washington. I would say it's more of a numbers move, I guess."

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 02:02 AM
it comes down to money (like it does most of the time). with how much our closer will be paid we can't affod to reserve too much more money just for the bullpen. but if he's healthy i'd definitely be interested in cordero.

schmidty622
10-31-2008, 07:09 AM
I'd be interested in Cordero as well. But I wouldn't expect anything out of him until 2010. He had shoulder and biceps surgry in July.

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 10:10 AM
that article basically said he'd be ready in march. maybe they're just optimistic. but if he could be healthy for even the last 3+ months i'd be ok w/that.

Emin3mShady07
10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, IMO Chad Cordero won't want too much money with his last season so the Reds could deal Francisco Cordero to Detroit For Maggs and then sign chad cordero and probably have enough money to sign Furcal as well. Chad Cordero has posted an ok xFIP of around 4.5 over the last several years, but he does give up a lot of flyball outs and an above average amount of homers. I feel that he would cost the reds a game or two over Francisco Cordero, but the reds would be able to make their defense much better with Furcal and the offense would also be much improved so I feel that the costs would outwiegh the benefits if the reds only had to give up Francisco Cordero to get Maggs, Furcal, and Chad Cordero.
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/players/index.php?playerId=1816&firstName=Chad&lastName=Cordero

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
so add chad cordero, deal francisco cordero for ordonez and than add furcal? i'd do that. if only it would be that simple. everytime i hear/read that detroit wants to deal ordonez it's cuz of money. and they do need a closer. but i don't see them dealing ordonez cuz of his salary and adding francisco cordero who has 3 years and $37 million left on his contract.

smoke6
10-31-2008, 12:54 PM
Cordero...Yes
Wagner....No

JayBruceFan
10-31-2008, 02:34 PM
I personally want Wagner back

He was straight filthy in college

He could be dominant if he can regain that form and stay healthy

Bip Roberts
10-31-2008, 02:55 PM
Id rather buy a bunch of steaks with the money

Emin3mShady07
10-31-2008, 03:51 PM
I personally want Wagner back

He was straight filthy in college

He could be dominant if he can regain that form and stay healthy

That's a big if and probably a big financial risk. I think the reds would be better off without pursuing wagner.

redsfandan
10-31-2008, 04:22 PM
That's a big if and probably a big financial risk. I think the reds would be better off without pursuing wagner.

it's a big financial risk if you overpay. if you just offer a low base salary on a minor league contract with an invite to spring training there's not much to worry about.

Ghosts of 1990
11-01-2008, 07:51 AM
Cordero, at 26 with the history he's had there; they are basically saying that they believe he's done.

gedred69
11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
I go to games with a guy who pitched in the Minors for 3 years, and is an incredible fountain of knowledge especially watching young up-coming players. When Wagner was making his big splash my buddy says to me, "I don't like the way he throws. He's either going to have physical problems or won't pan out". What? I says. My friend says, "yeah watch how he hops right before his release. He throws with his arm only." I think my friend has been proven right. Again......

redsfandan
11-02-2008, 12:07 AM
the question is can his problems be ironed out. either way i wouldn't invest alot as far as a contract. he's one of those players i'd consider giving a spring training invite just to take a look at him. if the reds decide it won't work than he's released in feb/march and you don't lose anything.

JayBruceFan
11-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Sign Ryan Wagner and Mark Prior and have them work out their funky mechanics together

Va Red Fan
11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Sign Fernando Valenzuela to work with them.

GoReds33
11-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I've always liked Chad. He's got a career ERA under 3. That's defenitly worth a shot, as long as he comes at a cheap price. I'd take a risk on a one year contract, defenitly.

Farnsie
11-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Forget these injury-ridden bums and go after Shairon Martis. Liked what I saw this season so let's get him fast enough for Bowden not to know what hit him....

BEETTLEBUG
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I would not mind Wagner if he is healthy he was awsome and Nasty.

Hondo
11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
I hope Walt just passes.... I'd rather invest in International Talent than take chances on those guys... imo

Orodle
11-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Ryan Wagner's arm is shot.....no where near the velocity from college or his first stint with the Reds. That year he was drafted he threw something like 140innings between College and pro ball that year.....out of the pen. Now I'm not a huge pitch count guy or babying pitchers but a 140 innings out of the pen is way too much. Ya its just an inning or two every other day but its a constant stress compared to a starter who gets rest between his 5th days.

Anyways....no to Ryan Wagner.

Ghosts of 1990
11-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Just say no to Ryan Wagner

TC81190
11-28-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd give Cordero what we gave Affeldt last year.

Revering4Blue
05-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Former first round draft choice Ryan Wagner has retired from baseball, according to MASN.com.
Wagner had two saves and a 6.11 ERA in 13 games with Triple-A Syracuse this year. The relief pitcher had season-ending shoulder surgery in 2007, but he returned to Class-A ball last year before being recalled to Triple-A Columbus to finish the season. Wagner hasn't offered an explanation for his retirement, but Washington manager Manny Acta was shocked at the news of the youngster's retirement.

Source: MASNsports.com

NastyBoy
05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Holy Crap! :eek:

Ghosts of 1990
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Wow. Just shows that the draft, especially for pitchers; is a crapshoot.

CySeymour
05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Pretty suprising that he would hang it up. If there was anyone who could use some time under Dave Duncan, I would think it would be Wagner.

bounty37h
05-19-2009, 09:52 AM
I dont know his injury or physical limitations, but he said he is doing the best physically since 04, so sounds to me like he quit instead of retiring...

brachial pleXUs
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Sign Fernando Valenzuela to work with them.

Remember Ben Weber? I used to pitch with him on MLB 2K6 just to see his crazy windup.

corwinator3407
05-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Just say no to Ryan Wagner

:thumbup:

And Detroit does not need a closer, anyway.