PDA

View Full Version : Cubs boldly going after Peavy

ChatterRed
11-09-2008, 02:28 PM
They've sweetened their offer by agreeing to trade Samardzija, a key component that the Padres wanted in the deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-peavydeal110608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Bip Roberts
11-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Its amazing that the cubs can continue to offer their junk and teams seem to be ok with it.

Emin3mShady07
11-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah Cedeno and Pie are pretty crappy. Marshall has some upside, but his numbers in the big leagues have not been great.

Az. Reds Fan
11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
They've sweetened their offer by agreeing to trade Samardzija, a key component that the Padres wanted in the deal.

They can offer Samardzija all they want, he doesn't have to go. That's what they get for including a no-trade clause in his contract

schmidty622
11-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, and maybe Dempster... Jesus Christ.

Look out boys. It might be 2012 before anyone, let alone the Reds, can compete in this division.

I(heart)Freel
11-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Couple this with Holliday possibly going to the Cards and it gets bleak for Reds fans. I know you shouldnt be reactive when it comes to moves, but these rumors definitely put me in the "do something" camp for the Reds, as opposed to the "do nothing til 2010" camp.

shredda2000
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Peavy, Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, and maybe Dempster... Jesus Christ.

Look out boys. It might be 2012 before anyone, let alone the Reds, can compete in this division.

...And they will STILL find a way to lose when it really counts (the Playoffs) :thumbup:

Natty Redlocks
11-09-2008, 04:24 PM

This article says nothing about the Cubs offering Samardzija; just that the Padres wanted him, he has a NTC, and will not waive it under any circumstances. I think the Cubs being involved in the talks may just be a charade to give Towers leverage with the Braves and to sucker Cub fans into getting excited again (it's working).

Newman4
11-09-2008, 04:28 PM
The Braves need him more and have more to offer. I wish the Reds would get involved in either the Peavy or Holiday sweepstakes. I thought they should have tried to get Harden when he was up for grabs. Either be in it to win now or firesale all the high contracts. You can't be stuck in the middle.

Natty Redlocks
11-09-2008, 05:05 PM
The Braves need him more and have more to offer. I wish the Reds would get involved in either the Peavy or Holiday sweepstakes. I thought they should have tried to get Harden when he was up for grabs. Either be in it to win now or firesale all the high contracts. You can't be stuck in the middle.

Except the only big contracts left now are Arroyo and Harang, maybe Phillips. These are all guys who are worth the money. That plus the young cheap Fab Four makes a fire sale unnecessary. They're doing the right thing, IMO, by proceeding carefully and looking for ways to upgrade cheaply, knowing they have decent in-house options in place if no such opportunities arise. Meanwhile, the young talent will get better and better and they may find themselves one big move away before you know it.

schmidty622
11-09-2008, 05:12 PM
...And they will STILL find a way to lose when it really counts (the Playoffs) :thumbup:

I'd rather be in the playoffs and lose than be in the position that the Reds are currently in.

redsfandan
11-10-2008, 05:12 AM
i love all the knee jerk reactions to rumours. yeah peavy would help the cubs but a bunch of their pitchers could easily have bad years next year. zambrano is still way too emotional. harden is very injury prone to the point they could only count on him for 5-6 ip each time out. lilly has never been known as an ace. dempster had one nice year after a bunch of mediocre years. plus peavys stats could suffer without 15+ starts in petco. they'll probably be the favorites but i definitely wouldn't award them the division title before the season even starts.

holliday may be dealt to st louis, and he's actually done very well in busch stadium albeit in a very small amount of abs (39). but if the rumours are correct one of the players that the cardinals would deal for him had 30+ hrs and 100+ rbi last year. so i'm not sure he'd be THAT much of an improvement over what they had in '09. but he'd definitely add alot of money to their payroll.

imo, if the reds decide to not stay on the same track and make rash moves on a whim instead they still won't be the favorites to win the division in '09 and could hurt their chances in 2010. the youth movement is the correct path for the reds and with the wildcard it doesn't really matter who wins the division anymore. frustration breeds pessimism, optimists tend to do better. and i'm optimistic that if the reds aren't in the mix in '09, they WILL be in the mix in 2010. don't lose faith people.

Old NDN
11-10-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm really stuck in the middle on this issue. It stinks to watch your Divisional rivals go after necessary pieces/players year after year, while we (Reds) keep kicking the tires on re-tread players that few others want. OTOH, player development is essential. The Cards, especially, seem to be able to both develop players AND go after big names when they need them. What are we doing wrong? Is this where WJ is trying to get to? Knee jerk reaction? I don't think so. It's trying to stay competitive NOW. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of finishing somewhere between 3rd and last place year after year, with no hope of gaining on the rest of the Division. We seem to be in that perpetual "next year" rut year after year.

ChatterRed
11-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm really stuck in the middle on this issue. It stinks to watch your Divisional rivals go after necessary pieces/players year after year, while we (Reds) keep kicking the tires on re-tread players that few others want. OTOH, player development is essential. The Cards, especially, seem to be able to both develop players AND go after big names when they need them. What are we doing wrong? Is this where WJ is trying to get to? Knee jerk reaction? I don't think so. It's trying to stay competitive NOW. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of finishing somewhere between 3rd and last place year after year, with no hope of gaining on the rest of the Division. We seem to be in that perpetual "next year" rut year after year.

Good post. I am also tired of finishing in the bottom.

On one hand, I can see the youth movement improving our chances. OTOH, I am sick and tired of everyone else spending $100 million and making the playoffs.

Money doesn't always buy a pennant, and many frugal clubs still manage to make the playoffs. But typically you have to spend to get anywhere.

I don't want knee-jerk reaction moves, but I also get sick of doing nothing.

Emin3mShady07
11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
i love all the knee jerk reactions to rumours. yeah peavy would help the cubs but a bunch of their pitchers could easily have bad years next year. zambrano is still way too emotional. harden is very injury prone to the point they could only count on him for 5-6 ip each time out. lilly has never been known as an ace. dempster had one nice year after a bunch of mediocre years. plus peavys stats could suffer without 15+ starts in petco. they'll probably be the favorites but i definitely wouldn't award them the division title before the season even starts.

I see that as the key to the cubs success this year. If he has his typical year (4.55 ERA and 1.49 WHIP Compared to 2.96 ERA, which is a career high I might add, and 1.21 WHIP), then the Cubs are in no way nearly as good. They still might've win the division, but they would not win 97 games.

redsfandan
11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I see that as the key to the cubs success this year. If he has his typical year (4.55 ERA and 1.49 WHIP Compared to 2.96 ERA, which is a career high I might add, and 1.21 WHIP), then the Cubs are in no way nearly as good. They still might've win the division, but they would not win 97 games.

and yet dempsters ONE good year will result in a nice raise from $5.5 million to $9+. :eek: if the cubs are smart they shouldn't count on hardens health either. :D

Jack Burton
11-11-2008, 11:10 AM
The Padres can do better than this, this trade would be a joke. It would be better to keep him out of the central.

redsfandan
11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
on a related note, monday the padres pulled a $4 million offer to trevor hoffman off the table. they should be fine with heath bell as the closer but i wonder if the padres may have a mini fire sale and could be open to accept a little less for peavy just to unload that contract.

Emin3mShady07
11-11-2008, 11:51 PM
and yet dempsters ONE good year will result in a nice raise from $5.5 million to $9+. :eek: if the cubs are smart they shouldn't count on hardens health either. :D

Hendry is too much of a free spender, I see him easily wasting away money to resign dempster and then being disappointed.

redsfandan
11-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Rosenthal's Latest: Peavy, Wilson By Nat Boyle [November 30 at 10:12am CST]
Lots to cover in the latest from Ken Rosenthal:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Jake Peavy to the Cubs is still being explored despite complications: The Cubs are being sold. Ryan Dempster was re-signed for 4 years, $52MM. The Padres are trying to include a third party to net the package GM Kevin Towers is seeking. If this happened then the Cubs would need to move Jason Marquis. Rosenthal suggests the Padres could take him if the Cubs ate around $3MM of his $9MM owed next season, or the Cubs could deal him and cash to another team (Rosenthal suggests the Rockies, Reds, or Giants). Rosenthal also backs the rumors of the Orioles involvement as the third team and having interest in Felix Pie.

i think Hondo just fainted.

Hondo
11-30-2008, 01:15 PM
i think Hondo just fainted.

Yeah, that would suck but I bet a bunch of you guys are celebrating hat this team may aquire Jason "No Pitch" Marquis...

If Walt lets the Cubs, a divsion Rival get Peavy through this team as a 3rd organization... He needs to go...

redsfandan
11-30-2008, 01:18 PM
i doubt walt will do that. marquis wouldn't exactly be an improvement. and he's not cheap. and we'd have to actually trade someone for him... :thumbdown

Hondo
11-30-2008, 01:19 PM
i doubt walt will do that. marquis wouldn't exactly be an improvement. and he's not cheap. and we'd have to actually trade someone for him... :thumbdown

Thank God O'Brein isn't here... We'd have him.

Jim
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Where does the Cubs find this bottomless pit of money when they are in such a transition? Who's money are they spending?!

ChatterRed
12-01-2008, 06:38 PM
Let'em spend all they want. They're the Cubs. They will never win a World Series. Just because they are the Cubs.

I'm really surprised the Reds can't pull off a deal to get Peavy. I'd like to have him just to tick everyone else off. Hehehe.