PDA

View Full Version : Randy Johnson and dbacks part ways

redsfandan
11-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Unable to reach deal with Diamondbacks, Johnson files for free agency
Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3701039
Updated: November 13, 2008, 8:51 PM ET

PHOENIX -- Randy Johnson filed for free agency on Thursday after failing to reach a contract agreement to return to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The 45-year-old lefty is five wins shy of 300 and "hopes to find a team where he can continue to pitch at a high level and contribute to another world championship," agents Barry Meister and Alan Nero said in a statement.

The agents said they met in Phoenix on Monday with Diamondbacks chief executive officer Jeff Moorad and general manager Josh Byrnes "to explore every option for Randy to remain a Diamondback in 2009 and for the remainder of his career."

"The Diamondbacks have a budget based on their club's financial situation and obviously viewed Randy's contract in that context," the agents said. "Randy considered every reasonable compromise, including offering to take a 50 percent pay cut, all to remain a Diamondback. However, the economic situation did not lend itself to an agreement."

Johnson made $16 million last year and went 11-10 with a 3.91 ERA. He struck out 173 and walked 44.
Byrnes said the club envisions a rotation of Brandon Webb, Dan Haren, Doug Davis, Max Scherzer and Yusmeiro Petit next season.

"There's a chance we might try to find another person that would add to our depth," Byrnes said.

redsfandan
11-13-2008, 09:26 PM
i'm not sure they'll find a better sp for only $8 million.

11-13-2008, 10:03 PM
I'd offer him $8-10M if I were Walt. The Reds need a lefty and if he is on the Reds, they don't have to face him.
If anyone worried about his age, he actually got better the second half of the year.

redsfandan
11-13-2008, 10:16 PM
he only needs 5 wins to reach 300 for his career so i'd expect '09 to be his last year. he maybe old and creaky for a pro athlete but he'd probably still be productive as a #3 or #4.

ChatterRed
11-14-2008, 02:01 AM
I'd offer him $8-10M if I were Walt. The Reds need a lefty and if he is on the Reds, they don't have to face him.
If anyone worried about his age, he actually got better the second half of the year.

I'm actually shocked they didn't re-sign him. Stunned. For $8 million????? His frickin' e.r.a. was under 4.00. What do they want???

I wish the Reds would entice him. I'd pay him $10 million with a mutual option on a second season. He still has it. One of those amazing rocks that only come along every so often.

ChatterRed
11-14-2008, 02:02 AM
he only needs 5 wins to reach 300 for his career so i'd expect '09 to be his last year. he maybe old and creaky for a pro athlete but he'd probably still be productive as a #3 or #4.

Our starters would learn a ton from him. Consummate pro.

schmidty622
11-14-2008, 08:57 AM
8- 10 mill for him would be much better than 7 on Looper. Although I am not nearly as down on Looper as other people.

Harang
Volquez
Johnson
Arroyo
Cueto

It wouldn't be a move to compete long term, but it would at least be a move that showed the less informed fan base that the club was trying to put a competitive team on the field, which could help ticket sales.

It won't happen though, he'll end up with a competitor who missed out on the big starters in FA.

NatiRedGals
11-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Yep I agree with you all i hope the Reds take a stab at him. I don't get what the Dback's were doing i think Randy has earned many more years but his body will probably only allow him one or two more i mean the dude is a instant hall of famer.

Emin3mShady07
11-14-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm actually shocked they didn't re-sign him. Stunned. For $8 million????? His frickin' e.r.a. was under 4.00. What do they want???

I wish the Reds would entice him. I'd pay him $10 million with a mutual option on a second season. He still has it. One of those amazing rocks that only come along every so often.

A deal in that range would make a lot of sense for the reds IMO. It would give their younger starters (Bailey, Ramirez, etc.) another year to develop and Johnson would still have a little value at the trade deadline if he was still a semi-productive starter. this move also wouldn't eat up all of the reds spare cash like a signing of Derek Lowe, so the reds could still make a move to acquire another outfielder like Magglio Ordonez, or Jermaine Dye if the White Sox decide to firesale, or even signing raul ibanez.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 10:46 AM
while i like randy johnson i don't think he's a fit here unless arroyo is dealt. we have 4 options for the #5 spot. only one player will fill that spot. the other 3 will see more time in AAA unless they're dealt.

BEETTLEBUG
11-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I am for Randy Johnson for one year with option for for 2, he would be great expericne for others on staff.

Z-Fly
11-14-2008, 12:32 PM
while i like randy johnson i don't think he's a fit here unless arroyo is dealt. we have 4 options for the #5 spot. only one player will fill that spot. the other 3 will see more time in AAA unless they're dealt.

Someone WILL get hurt. Depth is a good thing.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
yeah someone (or two) will spend SOME time on the dl if only a short stay. that's to be expected. that's not a reason to spend $10 million on another starter. we have enough depth to handle the occasional 15 day dl stint. like i said, i like the big unit. but that would be a luxury expense. a leftfielder, the bullpen, and a catcher have a higher priority imo.

11-14-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah someone (or two) will spend SOME time on the dl if only a short stay. that's to be expected. that's not a reason to spend $10 million on another starter. we have enough depth to handle the occasional 15 day dl stint. like i said, i like the big unit. but that would be a luxury expense. a leftfielder, the bullpen, and a catcher have a higher priority imo.

You can never have enough pitching. An average team uses 8 starting pitchers every year, the Reds used 10 last year, and Harang was the only one out of the top four that got injured.
Repeat...you can never have enough good pitching.

I say sign Johnson and trade Arroyo in during the season if there is no space.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by redsfandan

keep in mind there will still be some pitchers available in january that could help with depth, won't be as expensive, and may be willing to sign a minor league contract.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Randy Johnson-S- Diamondbacks Nov. 14 - 10:58 am et

MLB.com reports that Randy Johnson is "high on [the Dodgers'] list of targets" after failing to re-sign with the Diamondbacks.

Johnson reportedly offered to take a 50 percent pay cut to remain in Arizona and has said that he wants to play for a contender, potentially making Los Angeles a good fit.
Source: MLB.com
Related: Dodgers

this would make a little more sense cuz, while it may not be LA, i think johnson would prefer a contender for his last contract. he's already earned alot of money in his career so i don't think that's what's most important to him. players usually prefer to finish with a team that's a winner. wouldn't you?

11-14-2008, 03:03 PM
keep in mind there will still be some pitchers available in january that could help with depth, won't be as expensive, and may be willing to sign a minor league contract.

Yep, guys like Josh Fogg. ;)

Actually I agree with you that the Reds don't need to spend resources on a fifth starter, but Johnson for $8-10M a year is just too good of a deal to pass up.

And I agree with you that he will probably sign with a a team that was in contention last year. Although, he could be convinced that by adding him to the rotation, the Reds become a contender.

Orodle
11-14-2008, 03:09 PM

Actually I agree with you that the Reds don't need to spend resources on a fifth starter, but Johnson for $8-10M a year is just too good of a deal to pass up.

And I agree with you that he will probably sign with a a team that was in contention last year. Although, he could be convinced that by adding him to the rotation, the Reds become a contender.

completely agree....those guys left around then will be the Josh Fogg type. We have had enough of those types and really they are always available.

Ya RJ isnt what he use to be but I would take him at 50 years old over Fogg at any age.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM

:bang: ok i walked right into that. :laugh:

yeah he could be a nice value addition for someone. but i don't think he'd give serious consideration to us unless we added a big bat first.

dougflynn23
11-15-2008, 02:10 AM
:) I am perfectly content to watch Micah Owings, Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney and Ramon Ramirez battle it out for the 5th starter job. I want any free agent dollars targeted on Casey Blake, Juan Cruz and Jeremy Affeldt.

Carolina Red
11-15-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd go after him. We need a LH pitcher and he still can compete at a high level. He could teach our youngsters a lot. If we are out of it by July he could easily be dealt for some good prospects. Everyone always wants LH pitching.