PDA

View Full Version : CC Sabathia who will pay the most...

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
i didn't see a thread where this fit:

CC Sabathia-S- Brewers Nov. 14 - 9:39 am et

According to the New York Daily News, the Mets have joined the Yankees in pursuit of CC Sabathia.

The newspaper quotes "a high-placed Yankees source" as saying: "The Mets are in it? Great. Bring it on." The Yankees are reportedly set to make a huge offer to Sabathia right away, with speculation that the contract could be worth $150 million over six years to top the deal the Mets gave to Johan Santana last offseason.
Source: New York Daily News
Related: Mets, Yankees

this could be fun to watch what the new york teams do.

schmidty622
11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Yankees will get him easy.

Emin3mShady07
11-14-2008, 02:51 PM
Yankees will get him easy.

I agree, when they want a player they just offer up as much money as they can and if someone tops their offer, they just raise it even higher. I bet CC will be a Yank.

11-14-2008, 02:54 PM
His two biggest desires are to be able to hit and to be on the west coast. The Yankees fill neither of those two. And to be honest, I am not sure CC is all about the money.

If he is, he will be a Yankee, but all the love he gave the Brewers this year shows me that he cares about being happy too.

redsfandan
11-14-2008, 03:15 PM
yeah well i don't think the union would be too thrilled if he wanted to take less money to be happy. they're kinda funny like that.

ChatterRed
11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I think he's using the Yankees to up the offer from a team he really wants to play for.

If I had to bet, he will not be a Yankee but his ploy will work and he will get paid like a Yankee.

Emin3mShady07
11-14-2008, 09:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3703112
The Yankees just offered CC $137.5 Million over six years. Gotta love being able to spend money like that...or hate it.

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Keep in mind that the Post is the ONLY place that's reporting this so far so i'd consider this an unconfirmed report. Also the offer has been on the table for nearly a month and it's been widely reported that Sabathia prefers to pitch on the west coast.

CC SABATHIA PICKS YANKEES By JOEL SHERMAN December 10, 2008 --
LAS VEGAS – CC Sabathia is not going to play on the West Coast. He is not going to play in the National League. CC Sabathia is going to be a Yankee, The Post has learned exclusively.

After three straight days of face-to-face meetings between GM Brian Cashman and Sabathia, the big lefty decided he wants to spend the next six years of his career as a Yankee. The decision came late last night after Cashman flew to see Sabathia at his home in San Francisco. By the time the meeting was concluded, Sabathia had informed the Yankees that he had made his decision to call New York his baseball home, the Post has learned.

There are still minor hurdles to finalize, notably that Sabathia must pass a physical. But after so much belief that Sabathia was stalling because he wanted to avoid New York, he agreed to the largest pitching contract in major league history, at least $140 million.

It means that the Yankees have lassoed the player they were building their offseason around: An ace in his prime. Sabathia is just 28, and last year between the Indians and Brewers he went 17-10 with a 2.70 ERA. The previous season he won the AL Cy Young. Now he is the first major new piece to be put into the new Yankee Stadium.

Cashman had met with Sabathia on both Sunday and Monday in Vegas. He then slipped out of the Winter Meetings yesterday to fly to San Francisco to meet again with Sabathia and also this time Sabathia's wife, Amber. It was in this meeting that Sabathia fully expressed that he wanted to come East and play in the AL, that he wanted the responsibility that comes with being the big man for the biggest team.

The Yankees had extended a six-year, $140 million bid to Sabathia nearly a month ago. As the weeks passed and Sabathia did not accept the deal, a feeling began to pervade that he was trying hard to avoid the Bronx. Instead, this might simply have been a patient game of poker, Sabathia simply taking his time to make sure no desirable West Coast team with significant money would emerge. That never happened.

So now Sabathia will front a rotation that also will include Chien-Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain. But Cashman does not want to stop there. The Yankee priority this winter has been pitching, pitching and pitching. And they are going for more.

Cashman had met Monday night with A.J. Burnett's agent Darek Braunacker and expressed a willingness to exceed the four-year, $60 million bid by the Braves and that they would seriously consider going to a fifth year.

"We never doubted their sincere efforts," Braunacker said. "I have maintained that if A.J. wants five years he will get five years."

Cashman also met with Scott Boras and the Yanks appeared willing to go to the four-year, $60 million plus range for Derek Lowe. In addition, the Yanks have talked with agents for several other starters, including Andy Pettitte, Randy Wolf, Oliver Perez and Ben Sheets. The Yankees received medical records on the oft-injured Sheets and were studying them. One person in the loop described Cashman as really pushing in a much more forceful way to begin closing deals, with or without Sabathia.

The Yanks knew the worse scenario would be to be completely shut out on the top-tier pitching buffet. That would be humiliating. That would be the entire sport essentially saying the Yankees have the money, but no one wants to take it as a first option any longer. However, Sabathia showed that the lure of the Yankees and their money is still powerful.

Barring the unforeseen, Sabathia is going to be a Yankee. The Yanks scored the big prize for which they were hunting.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12102008/sports/yankees/yanks_close_in_on_sabathia_deal_143481.htm

DTCromer
12-10-2008, 08:55 AM
This guy is going to be a huge bust in NY.

Both New York teams just made some really, really, really bad signings. The Mets are the better of the 2 since they're only on the hook for 3 years.

schmidty622
12-10-2008, 10:26 AM
This guy is going to be a huge bust in NY.

Both New York teams just made some really, really, really bad signings. The Mets are the better of the 2 since they're only on the hook for 3 years.

Por Que?

BUTLER REDSFAN
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM
This Yankee signing everyone crap really gets old after awhile.

redsfandan
12-10-2008, 12:07 PM
the latest:

Sabathia Reaches Agreement With Yankees
By Cork Gaines [December 10 at 10:50am CST]
10:50am: For the first time, Brewers GM Doug Melvin confirmed he offered five years and slightly more than $100MM to Sabathia. Adding a sixth year was under serious consideration. Tom Haudricourt also learned from Melvin that Sabathia wanted an opt-out clause no matter where he signed, and the Brewers were prepared to offer one.

10:14am: Tim Brown and Gordon Edes of Yahoo report that the deal is for $161MM over seven years (which would top Johan's average annual value).

The deal has an opt-out clause after the first three years, which are worth $69MM. The 31 year-old Sabathia will make his opt-out decision after the 2011 season with four years, $92MM remaining on the deal. He would have to buck the opt-out trend (or renegotiate) to make this more than a three-year, $69MM deal for the Yankees. That is not necessarily a bad thing for them.

8:07am: Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the deal is seven years for approximately $160MM - the fourth largest in MLB history. If that's the exact amount it's a hair under the average annual value of Johan Santana's deal.