PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Hermida

redhawk61
12-07-2008, 08:20 PM
from mlbtr.com

Marlins right fielder Jeremy Hermida is said to interest the Reds, Rays, and Giants.

CRedsLarkin11
12-07-2008, 09:12 PM
I wonder how that looks now if the Dye trade is indeed going through. Hermida is a fine player for the right price.

DannyB
12-07-2008, 11:46 PM
I wonder how that looks now if the Dye trade is indeed going through. Hermida is a fine player for the right price.

I hear he has a bit of an attitude problem.

Ghosts of 1990
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
You guys think people complained about Dunn? Hermida is a Dunn clone in the making. Without as much productivity. Makes no sense IMO. Re-sign dunn then.

CRedsLarkin11
12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Well, now I that I said that I didn't realize how much he fell off last season, he hit .249 with a .323 OBP

redsfandan
12-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Baseball America rated Hermida as the top pure hitter out of high school his senior season and the fourth-best position player overall in the 2002 draft. Next month he'll turn 25 so he's still not that old and still has the talent that scouts liked so much. I don't know about any attitude problems but he seems like someone that could benefit from a change of scenery. In Floida he was sold as the future and here he would have alot less pressue on him. It's worth noting that he's played much better in away games the last two seasons: at home his ops was only .786 in '07 and .584 in '08 but in away games it was .949 in '07 and .851 in '08.

Hermida is expected to make $2-$4 million in arbitration so he'd be cheaper than most options discussed so far (with the exception of possibly Juan Rivera) and since the marlins have soured on him he may not require an excessive amount in return. He could be the type of trade target that Walt likes: a cheap, but still high ceiling player that cost-wise could likely be had for a reasonable amount. He'd also give us an outfield that's young, inexpensive, fast (he had 67 sb in 1427 minor league abs), and solid defensively (he's considered slightly above average). He's only had 28 abs in Great American but with a line of .393 .452 . 750 1.202.

Imo, a line around .285 .370 .480 .850 wouldn't be a surpise with the potential for more. Keep in mind that an additional benefit of an outfielder like Hermida that only costs $3-5 million is we'd have money leftover that could make an acquisition of someone like Furcal possible.

Gamble
12-10-2008, 01:14 PM
December 09, 2008
How about the Reds?

by Mike Berardino
The Rays have definitely shown interest in Jeremy Hermida, while a report Tuesday also linked him to the Reds and Braves.

Reds President of Baseball Operations Walt Jocketty said he hadn’t spoken with the Marlins lately but admitted he was searching for outfielders after dealing Ryan Freel to the Orioles for catcher Ramon Hernandez.

Right fielder Jay Bruce could move to center full time to make room for Hermida but Jocketty said he preferred to keep Bruce in right.

After trading away Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. last summer, the Reds need to acquire multiple outfielders to pair with the impressive young Bruce.

Young Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto likely remains off limits, a rival scout said, but the Marlins could ask for recently acquired RHP Micah Owings (the ex-Diamondback) or fading prospect Homer Bailey, who was once deemed untouchable by Cincinnati's former front office.

"Nothing is close," Jocketty said of his search for outfield help.

If the Rays make a push for Hermida, they will have to give up more than swingman Edwin Jackson, according to a source familiar with the Marlins' demands. Right-hander Andy Sonnanstine would interest the Marlins after winning 13 games last year, but the Rays will first exhaust several other offensive options (Milton Bradley, Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu) before turning to their cross-state rivals.

The Braves may have inquired about Hermida but not as a replacement for Jeff Francoeur. Rather, they might have popped him in left field, and maybe only as a platoon option, but indications were that mood had already passed.

As for Jorge Cantu, there were indications the Giants may have cooled on the idea as they reportedly expressed interest in ex-Marlin Mike Lowell.

The Red Sox probably would deal Lowell if they were able to sign first baseman Mark Teixeira, along with C.C. Sabathia the hottest commodity in free agency.

The Twins have had internal discussions about Cantu but with Justin Morneau at first they have concerns about the health of Cantu’s throwing arm.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_baseball_marlins/2008/12/how-about-the-r.html