PDA

View Full Version : What will the Reds do at the winter meetings?

fewfirstchoice
12-09-2008, 03:53 AM
Who here actually thinks the Reds will do anything this week while in LV. I dont think the Reds will do anything to improve this club. I believe what the Reds have will pretty much be what they take into spring training. I truly hope not. I would love to see the Dye trade. Let Walt bring in Hernandez(sp) for Freel. Let him sign Reyes. Give him a little money to get a SS. But I believe the Reds will do nothing. This is how it always ends up. They give the fans a little hope and soon after take it right back. But lets hope Im wrong and they bring in a C, power right handed bat, a lefty reliever, and a SS.

Newman4
12-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Stand around and watch the Cubs get Jake Peavy for crap? Seriously, other teams need to get involved if they really want to compete in the NL Central and MLB for that matter.

Ghosts of 1990
12-09-2008, 12:44 PM
Honestly I think they'll stand pat for now and see what the market does with the first tier free agents. If they miss out on signings after that they'll probably make a trade to bring in an offensive player.

Hondo
12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Stand around and watch the Cubs get Jake Peavy for crap? Seriously, other teams need to get involved if they really want to compete in the NL Central and MLB for that matter.

I hope that isn't the case... The Reds could easily trump a Cubs offer and get this team into conteding mode with one addition...

Jake Peavy Needs to be RED

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2008, 01:30 PM
I hope that isn't the case... The Reds could easily trump a Cubs offer and get this team into conteding mode with one addition...

Jake Peavy Needs to be RED

Jake Peavy needs to WANT to be a Red.

It's his decision. We can offer more than the Cubs all we want. He has to want to come here. Not saying that a phat extension wouldnt sway him. But the decision is his, not Walt's.

Hondo
12-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Jake Peavy needs to WANT to be a Red.

It's his decision. We can offer more than the Cubs all we want. He has to want to come here. Not saying that a phat extension wouldnt sway him. But the decision is his, not Walt's.

Ok, well this team needs to court him... Then... This team shed Million of Payroll with Griffey, Dunn, Patterson, Affeldt, Valentin, Bako, etc...

It has money to sign him to a BIG OLE' Extension...

redsfandan
12-09-2008, 06:03 PM
i could be wrong but after the freel/hernandez deal i think the reds have only $13 million left for an outfielder, reliever, and hairston.

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Correct... my math from the other thread still applies.

If Orioles send us $1 mill, we'd have about $14.5 mill left to go before we hit the $80 mill ceiling.