PDA

View Full Version : Reds Economics

NeilHamburger
12-09-2008, 12:32 PM
There have been a couple of pieces of information that I've been hearing that seem to conflict with each other. I keep hearing how we didn't get Dye due to economics. Meanwhile I hear that the payroll could be raised up to 85 million. We didn't just lose Dunn and Griffeys salary, look at some of the other money we cut:

Patterson 3.5 million
Affeldt 3.5 million
Stanton 2.5 million
Hatteberg 1.5 million
Ross 2.5 million
Valentin 1.5 million

All of those people could be replaced with people making the min. except Affeldt. Hell, Stanton and Hatteberg could be replaced by nothing. I understand raises, but hell, Patterson, Hatteberg and Stanton alone equal the big Arroyo and Phillips raise. And those three could be replaced by one roster spot making the min.

I'm begining to wonder if we can't afford Dye what next years payroll is really going to be.

So if next years payroll stands at about 65 million as the team is currently constructed how could we not afford Dye, and what is really going on with Bob.

And if we can't afford a bat making 11 million for one year they might as well just shut down the team and sell fruit out of GABP.

Ghosts of 1990
12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
I don't think its that they're afraid to take on Dye's salary, at all. I think its more that:

1) Reds getting cold feet about giving up on a high potential 22 year old.
2) Concerns with Dye's age and having to play the field every day to be in the lineup
3) Dye might be a one year rental.

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Sunday paper reported that payroll should be more than last year's $74 mill, thanks to in-house advertising. Pretty good bet it will be closer to $80 mill.

I think the Dye deal fell apart when ChiSox tried to get more than Bailey from us. I'm guessing it had nothing to do with money.

NorrisHopper30
12-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't even give Bailey to get Dye. Only way i'm giving up Bailey is for a young or someone who has a longer contract (Kemp..). Bailey was a top 5 prospect a year or 2 ago, DO NOT sell low on him.

Orodle
12-09-2008, 01:41 PM
There are a lot of economics that are unseen in most cases. Plus what about Alonso's deal?

Hondo
12-09-2008, 01:42 PM
There have been a couple of pieces of information that I've been hearing that seem to conflict with each other. I keep hearing how we didn't get Dye due to economics. Meanwhile I hear that the payroll could be raised up to 85 million. We didn't just lose Dunn and Griffeys salary, look at some of the other money we cut:

Patterson 3.5 million
Affeldt 3.5 million
Stanton 2.5 million
Hatteberg 1.5 million
Ross 2.5 million
Valentin 1.5 million

All of those people could be replaced with people making the min. except Affeldt. Hell, Stanton and Hatteberg could be replaced by nothing. I understand raises, but hell, Patterson, Hatteberg and Stanton alone equal the big Arroyo and Phillips raise. And those three could be replaced by one roster spot making the min.

I'm begining to wonder if we can't afford Dye what next years payroll is really going to be.

So if next years payroll stands at about 65 million as the team is currently constructed how could we not afford Dye, and what is really going on with Bob.

And if we can't afford a bat making 11 million for one year they might as well just shut down the team and sell fruit out of GABP.

I've been saying this for a long time now... With the Trades and all the Slop getting out... This team could sign a CC Sabethia or a Mark Texieria.... But nope... Not gonna do it!

I(heart)Freel
12-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Rather than listing the salaries coming off the books, because that never tells the whole story, I thought I would try to enunciate the salaries on the books.

Note that there are two educated guesses in here, for our arbitration candidates Weathers and Encarnacion.

Then we have seven guys under contract (totalling $49.63 mill).

I filled the rest of the 25-man roster with league minimum players (16 guys at $400k each).

Here's the breakdown:

Contracts

Phillips 4.75

Agon 5.38

Freel 4

Harang 11

Arroyo 11

Cordero 12

Lincoln 1.5

Arbitration

Encarnacion 3 guess

Weathers 3.5 guess

Min ($400k)

(16 players) 6.4

TOTAL 62.53

Est BUDGET 80

Left to Spend 17.47
So by my estimation, the Reds have only about $17.5 mill to spend right now.

That ain't the difference maker some of you portend it to be. And it could be even less if they count Alfonso and the other recent big-ticket signings under this, but I don't think they do.

Suddenly, one understands why Walt is leaning toward trades rather than free agents to upgrade the club.

Orodle
12-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Rather than listing the salaries coming off the books, because that never tells the whole story, I thought I would try to enunciate the salaries on the books.

Note that there are two educated guesses in here, for our arbitration candidates Weathers and Encarnacion.

Then we have seven guys under contract (totalling $49.63 mill).

I filled the rest of the 25-man roster with league minimum players (16 guys at $400k each).

Here's the breakdown:

Contracts

Phillips 4.75

Agon 5.38

Freel 4

Harang 11

Arroyo 11

Cordero 12

Lincoln 1.5

Arbitration

Encarnacion 3 guess

Weathers 3.5 guess

Min ($400k)

(16 players) 6.4

TOTAL 62.53

Est BUDGET 80

Left to Spend 17.47
So by my estimation, the Reds have only about $17.5 mill to spend right now.

That ain't the difference maker some of you portend it to be. And it could be even less if they count Alfonso and the other recent big-ticket signings under this, but I don't think they do.

Suddenly, one understands why Walt is leaning toward trades rather than free agents to upgrade the club.

Thanks, very good information