PDA

View Full Version : Manny retired???

redsfandan
12-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Manny feeling ignored in free-agent market by Ken Davidoff
December 11, 2008
Manny Ramirez is growing extremely upset about the lack of suitors for his services, so much so that he has told friends he would contemplate retirement if a suitable offer doesn't arrive soon, a person close to the situation told Newsday.

Now, the truth is that Ramirez is highly unlikely to retire. But his dissatisfaction speaks to the lack of buzz that his free agency has generated, despite (or maybe because of?) his outstanding two-month stay with the Dodgers, which followed a highly contentious split with the Red Sox.

The Dodgers offered Ramirez two years and $45 million and then pulled the offer once open free agency began. The Yankees have some interest in Ramirez but are unlikely to pursue him if they land another big starting pitcher - with A.J. Burnett the most likely target - in addition to CC Sabathia.

The Nationals have been viewed as a potential landing site for Ramirez, yet for now, Washington is trying to acquire highly popular free agent Mark Teixeira.

Ramirez told a friend that he spends most of his time working out, watching cartoons and playing video games. He'd much rather be speaking to his agent Scott Boras about high-stakes negotiations.

awwww poor baby manny it's just so sad that he doesn't have every team fawning over him wanting to hand over millions and millions of dollars (more than most of us will see in our lifetimes). i hope he doesn't cry too much. :eek:
with the economy in the tank and more and more people unemployed i kinda think that some people that actually have money need to use it to buy a clue. :rolleyes:

ChatterRed
12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I agree.

While I'd love to have Manny for cheap and only 2 years..............these millionaire players seem absolutely clueless about the economical state of this country.

The average Joe pays for tickets and watches the games on TV which creates revenue. If the average Joe cannot afford tickets and refreshments at the games, and is out working 2 jobs and doesn't have time to watch the games on TV.........then it affects the revenue of the ballclubs.

But Manny can't even understand that. Sad.

TheBigLebowski
12-12-2008, 08:58 AM
I have no pity whatsoever for Manny Ramirez, nor anyone else represented by Scott Bor-ass. I hope he does retire.

DTCromer
12-12-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't have any pity whatsoever for Manny only because he's rich enough to retire in his home country. Manny beats to his own drum and I love the guy. Probably the best hitter of our time period. He'll be missed (if he does retire).

Where are your threads complaining about CC guys? He just accepted a 160 million dollar contract and no whining. . . what gives?

redsfandan
12-12-2008, 10:29 AM
I can't blame someone for taking what he can get. CC and Manny are not the same in how they act. That's the difference.

levydl
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I have no pity whatsoever for Manny Ramirez, nor anyone else represented by Scott Bor-ass. I hope he does retire.

I certainly don't have any pity for Manny. But I never get the hate people have for Boras getting his clients the best deal or the most money. You'd rather the billionaire owners keep more for themselves? Lord knows they aren't cutting ticket prices for you and me.

redsfandan
12-12-2008, 02:47 PM
For me it's not so much what Boras does as much as HOW he does it. He is very good at delivering a big contract most of the time but he isn't the only agent that has done a good job getting their clients top dollar. The others are mostly anonymous to the common fan. That's not possible with Boras cuz of the games he plays and the ego he has.

As far as Manny, I'll be less likely to root for whoever has him in '09. just not a fan.