PDA

View Full Version : Griffey and the Rays

texasdave
01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
A little blurb from CNNSI.

It looks as if Junior may get a chance to end his career both with a winning team and close to his home in Florida if he signs with the D-Rays. A win/win for Griffey.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/37541-teams-lining-up-for-griffey?eref=fromSI

Herb Tarlek
01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Ideally it would be nice to see Junior end his career in Seattle; it's just too bad that possibility will be extinguished due to the ineptitude of the Seattle franchise and their poor ballclub.

wojo1025
01-04-2009, 03:10 PM
I would like to see Griff go to Tampa and play ball w/the kids. I want to see him to somewhere that will compete. Even though Tampa may not repeat what they did last season I would guess they'll be better than Seattle.

I wish Griff the best no matter where he goes. I'd like to see him put up one more solid season and then retire. I would like for him to go out on a high note!

TheBigLebowski
01-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I just hope, for TB's sake, that they're planning on DH'ing him in a platoon with a RH bat.

Hybrid
01-04-2009, 03:50 PM
If it's true, good for him.

Slyder
01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
He could still do the whole "1 day contract" thing then call a presser with the M's logo in the backdrop "announce" his retirement. Chances are TB is throwing out a feeler for a 1 yr deal.

Emin3mShady07
01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I just hope, for TB's sake, that they're planning on DH'ing him in a platoon with a RH bat.

yes, that is the only role that the rays would be able to maximize griffey's value. He posted a .272/.379/.462/.841 line against righties in 388 PA last season, which is actually quite respectable. Jr's value has to be low right now, so if they can get Griff for cheap, it might not be that bad of an idea. Jr can't play defense anymore or hit lefties, so a DH spot is pretty much all he has left unfortunately.

Herb Tarlek
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
yes, that is the only role that the rays would be able to maximize griffey's value. He posted a .272/.379/.462/.841 line against righties in 388 PA last season, which is actually quite respectable. Jr's value has to be low right now, so if they can get Griff for cheap, it might not be that bad of an idea. Jr can't play defense anymore or hit lefties, so a DH spot is pretty much all he has left unfortunately.

He is definitely a perfect fit for the Rays. They need a lefty bat for the DH spot with Cliff Floyd's departure. His experience and guidance would be priceless to guys like Longoria and Upton.

He's been classy throughout his career and I wish him the best. It just seems like he needs to return to Seattle for one last hurrah before closing out his playing career. It's the right way to go out.

It's no different than watching Tony Perez and Pete Rose come back to the Reds to close out their careers.

Even Willie Mays went back to NY as a Met to end his career.

HUHUH
01-04-2009, 09:02 PM
He is definitely a perfect fit for the Rays. They need a lefty bat for the DH spot with Cliff Floyd's departure. His experience and guidance would be priceless to guys like Longoria and Upton.

Oh yeah. Like his experience and guidance helped foster the careers of Dunn, Kearns, etc. The guy is a cancer. Why would the Rays want such a thing in their young, vibrant clubhouse?

Stephenk29
01-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah. Like his experience and guidance helped foster the careers of Dunn, Kearns, etc. The guy is a cancer. Why would the Rays want such a thing in their young, vibrant clubhouse?

Give me a break. Where as anyone every stated in the media that he's a cancer to the clubhouse? Speculation and accusations like that only come from fans who only see the fact that he doesn't run as hard as he used to (Forget the fact that his hami was totally ripped off the bone).

LetsGoReds11
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
That Is The Most Ridiculous Accusation I've Ever Heard About Griffey......I've Never Heard Anything About Griffey Ever Being A Cancer In The Clubhouse

Griffey012
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
That's funny you claim he is a cancer, did you watch any of the late season games with him on the white sox. He understood his role, took number 19 because he didnt want to stand out, and was always smiling and high five-ing with his teammates. He isn't really a leader, more of a follower, and when you have the lack of energy the reds had, a follower will have a lack of energy also. It also doesn't help that his manager in Cincy just let him be, and to play under Ozzie you know what he demands.

Emin3mShady07
01-04-2009, 10:03 PM
That's funny you claim he is a cancer, did you watch any of the late season games with him on the white sox. He understood his role, took number 19 because he didnt want to stand out, and was always smiling and high five-ing with his teammates. He isn't really a leader, more of a follower, and when you have the lack of energy the reds had, a follower will have a lack of energy also. It also doesn't help that his manager in Cincy just let him be, and to play under Ozzie you know what he demands.

He actually took 17, but that really doesn't matter. Griffey has been a great guy throughout his career and it was a pleasure to see a great player like that play for the white sox, even if it was for only a short while. I personally felt terrible for griffey as he was forced into playing CF, and he certainly did not belong there. He looked tired every inning I saw him play in the field and running after baseballs he couldn't catch made him look even worse. He still managed to dive after balls and give up his body, even though it probably did more harm than help to his body. I don't see how anyone could question this guy's character. One of the few true class acts left in the game of baseball. It will be a sad day for MLB the day he retires.

Orodle
01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
That Is The Most Ridiculous Accusation I've Ever Heard About Griffey......I've Never Heard Anything About Griffey Ever Being A Cancer In The Clubhouse

You've never heard anything about this? I'm not gunna say he is but I've atleast heard of this talk before.

Herb Tarlek
01-04-2009, 10:47 PM

Wow...just wow.

No offense, but that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever seen written about Junior.

I guess you forget that the fact that Junior took a below-market deal to come to Cincy in the first place and did so in order to allow the Reds financial flexibility to remain competitive.

How selfish of him.

ChatterRed
01-04-2009, 10:48 PM
If I were the Rays, I put some health and workout stipulations in that contract for the offseason and demand that Junior come in to camp at a certain weight (lose some weight), and looking more fit than usual. Or maybe getting some kind of reports about his offseason conditioning. I think Junior could rebound and have a decent year if he were in better condition.

Griffey012
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
You've never heard anything about this? I'm not gunna say he is but I've atleast heard of this talk before.

I believe Dmitri Young complained about Griffey after he left Cincy and maybe someone else if i recall right. Dmitri also suffered from alcohol and substance abuse issues during his career with the Tigers, not sure if it was also during his Cincy days or not, which could play into his claims. Nevertheless, his time his through and gone.

On another note, Griffey matured ALOT during his playing days especially from a 19 year old kid to a grown father. Unlike most, he is a father first and a player 2nd, which is probably a big factor in him not being in the greatest of shape late in his career, he looks like a 40 year old man around the middle a bit. But instead of logging all day in the cage and weight room, he is most likely spending a majority of the summer's away and with his family. And well, if you offer him a contract it is something u just have to deal with now.

Jack Burton
01-17-2009, 03:20 AM
Rays are better off without the kid. Every year he continues to play hurts his chances for a first ballot walk through the hall. Even if he didn't inject, he's got to be included in the cloud of speculation of the steroid era.

redsfandan
01-17-2009, 03:37 AM
C'mon. Because 100% of the players that played in the last 10-20 years should be under that cloud? So do you think that noone that played in the "steroid era" should be elected into the HOF? I don't and I don't think Jr has to worry about his HOF chances.

timothy1
01-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I just hope he get that World Series ring he wants... unless of course if his team end playing the Reds in the World Series.