PDA

View Full Version : Abreu Willing to take 1yr deal

redhawk61
01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
From Olney:

As recently as a week ago, the asking price on Bobby Abreu was said to be locked in place, a three-year deal for something in the neighborhood of $16 million a year. But those numbers were based on appraisals made before the motor companies got an executive bailout, before the Dow Jones Industrial Average shrunk to four digits.

In the last few days, Abreu -- like so many other veteran players -- has come to grips with the reality that the lush multi-year deal is simply not going to be there for him, and the All-Star who hit 20 homers and accumulated an on-base percentage of .371 last season is said to be willing to take a one-year deal.

It is not what Abreu wants, it is not what Adam Dunn wants, or what Jason Varitek wants. It may take awhile for proud veteran players with solid track records to fully accept the humbling reality that the big money is just not there for them, for whatever reason they choose to believe.

But once those players settle on the fact that they are taking a one-year deal, the market place will probably open up for them. A lot more teams will become interested, presumably.

Abreu, on a modest one-year deal, would seemingly be in the price range of the Mets, Braves, Angels, Giants and maybe the Red Sox. Dunn might draw interest from the Yankees, a team for which he is perfectly suited, if they could shed the contracts of two of the three from the group of Xavier Nady, Hideki Matsui and Nick Swisher. Abreu, Dunn and Varitek can go someplace and bust it for one year, and if they have a strong season, they can hope that the economic troubles will have less bearing on the market next offseason than they did this winter.

Spending across this market is down significantly, as these updated numbers from ESPN research monster Mark Simon show:

Jon Garland, who turned down arbitration and the chance to get an award that probably would have fallen in the range of $12 million to $14 million for the 2009 season, may be closing in on a deal with the D-Backs, writes Steve Gilbert.

If he stays on the table for 1-3 more weeks, I think we can get him on an incentive laden 1 yr deal for 6-8 mil

bounty37h
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Thats big of him to be willing to sign a one year contract;)

CRedsLarkin11
01-28-2009, 12:34 PM
If the Reds truly thought they could win now you would have to try and sign him.

Casey
01-28-2009, 04:22 PM
I think there will be a lot of player who will be "settling" for one-year deals this year who expected to get long term deals for big money. They'll sign and then just hope the economy will be better next year.

mlh1981
01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
He would be a nice pickup, but doesn't address our need for a right handed power bat, and on our team, he would be one of our marquee players, one of our leaders, and is he good enough to step into those kind of shoes. Granted, I love his pitch selection, though. He's a very choosy hitter. Many of the Reds hitters could learn a thing or 2 from a Bobby Abreu.

TheNext44
01-28-2009, 06:37 PM
The works only if it means that Dickerson will platoon with Taveras in CF. I don't think that Abreu is worth an $8M upgrade over Dickerson/Gomes. In fact, he might not even be as good when you factor in defense. But keeping Dickerson in the lineup vs. righthanders would be an huge upgrade from Taveras.

Abreu/Tavaras/Bruce = Dickerson-Gomes/Taveras/Bruce but
Abreu/Dickerson-Taveras/Bruce > Dickerson-Gomes/Taveras/Bruce

Stephenk29
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Abreu/Tavaras/Bruce = Dickerson-Gomes/Taveras/Bruce

You're kidding right? You are going to say Abreau is not as good as a career minor league and a guy the Rays didn't even see fit to put on the active playoff roster? Dickerson had a nice September last year, but his numbers are going to come dropping back to Earth.

TheNext44
01-28-2009, 08:30 PM
You're kidding right? You are going to say Abreau is not as good as a career minor league and a guy the Rays didn't even see fit to put on the active playoff roster? Dickerson had a nice September last year, but his numbers are going to come dropping back to Earth.

Last year Abreu, according to the simple version of Runs Created, was responsible for around 107 runs. If you use Dickerson career minor league numbers and Gomes career numbers against LH, split the time 350/250 AB's, they would project to be responsible for 100 runs next year. Figure Abreu is at least 7 runs worse than the Dickerson/Gomes on defense, and they are about equal.

Even if you discount defense, there is no way that Abreu's additional 7 runs is worth $8M.

thatcoolguy_22
01-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Bobby Abreu

Win Shares
2002 6.8
2003 6.1
2004 5.7
2005 4.2
2006 3.4
2007 2.8
2008 1.3

Anyone spot a trend? ;)

1 would like to see a one year deal still. No, I do not buy into the the Reds need a RH power bat. We need quality sticks and every legitimate projection system has Abreu OPSing over .800 (Bill James has him at .844).

DTCromer
01-29-2009, 06:52 PM
If the Reds truly thought they could win now you would have to try and sign him.

Why? Because we all know how Bobby Abreu has always been synonymous with World Series. Abreu/Dye/Burrell or whoever out there wasn't going to bring the value they were worth to left field.

Steviejoe
01-29-2009, 06:59 PM
The value would be great,try it and see,with what we read as potential starting leftfield it would be a plus.For some reason i like Hairston but i belive his value is better when you can play him everywhere,but not as a everyday leftfielder.Gonzalez is suppose to be ready,but i promise you,front office is watching-and ready to put Hairston as short.Plus adds a little power.

GoReds33
01-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I have stuck behind Bobby Abreu throughout this process. He is a great player, and still has one of the best eyes in Major League Baseball. He is a star, and a great clubhosue presence. His bat, and defense may be close to that which you can get from Gomes and Dickerson, but his presence is something you cannot match. There is not a better example of a winner, and a gamer that you can get for this team. If he can be had under ten million for a year, I say do it.

Ghosts of 1990
01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
I think this guy could only help the middle of our lineup, but this isn't a move the Reds make.

They just dont. Watch him wind back up in Philly

will5979
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Waste of time to even get excited about this. The owners obviously care nothing about the team, the city, or the fans. I can honestly say that this is the first year that I am not looking forward to the Reds season. This decade has been miserable and I'm on the verge of switching allegiances to a team that actually cares. I've said this for the past 4 or 5 years that it is really sad what the owners have done to this once proud and domiante franchise.

reds1869
01-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Waste of time to even get excited about this. The owners obviously care nothing about the team, the city, or the fans.

Right, because one of our most active civic boosters and a lifelong Reds fan doesn't give a flying flip about his hometown, its citizens or his lifelong love a of a team. :rolleyes:

will5979
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Right, because one of our most active civic boosters and a lifelong Reds fan doesn't give a flying flip about his hometown, its citizens or his lifelong love a of a team. :rolleyes:

You see him trying to get a marquee right handed power hitter in Cincy? That is what this team needs and everyone knows it.

This is baseball, I don't care what type of civic supporter the man is, bottom line is I want wins at ANY cost.