PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign another Catcher

wojo1025
02-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Reds Sign Humberto Cota
By Tim Dierkes [February 2 at 4:05pm CST]
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of AM 1530, the Reds signed catcher Humberto Cota to a minor league deal. Cota, 30 in a few days, hit .319/.342/.493 in 37 Triple A games last year. He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

batsfan
02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Reds Sign Humberto Cota
By Tim Dierkes [February 2 at 4:05pm CST]
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of AM 1530, the Reds signed catcher Humberto Cota to a minor league deal. Cota, 30 in a few days, hit .319/.342/.493 in 37 Triple A games last year. He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

Also, Ryan Jorgenson retiered. Good riddance.

ChatterRed
02-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Huge signing!!!! Playoffs here we come!!!!

Jerome
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I thought Walt promised "fringe" players, not Humbertos.

Shaknb8k
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
To clarify some things in ORG if you are reading the thread from over there about Jorgensen. He was suspended for steroids plain and simple. He is listed in the Mitchell Report and his suspension played a major part in forming the Investigation Division of MLB. I for one am glad to see him gone. Too bad he was replaced with another player tainted with steroid use, but Im sure there is no way Cota is more arrogant than Jorgensen. So ill take Cota over Jorgensen

big boy
02-02-2009, 10:56 PM
He served a 50-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

If you a'int cheatin', you a'int tryin'.

Handofdeath
02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
You want an interesting fact? On July 23, 1999, Cota and Joe Oliver were traded by the Rays to the Pirates for Jose Guillen and Jeff Sparks. The Reds just traded for Cota and Oliver used to play for them. Jeff Sparks was drafted by the Reds and of course Guillen spent time with the Reds as he was just beginning his quest to play for every team in MLB.

WildcatFan
02-03-2009, 12:25 AM
...then Guillen went on to play for Oakland, whose GM was Billy Beane, who will be played in a movie by Brad Pitt, who was in Sleepers with Kevin Bacon! I did it!

bounty37h
02-04-2009, 10:32 AM
To clarify some things in ORG if you are reading the thread from over there about Jorgensen. He was suspended for steroids plain and simple. He is listed in the Mitchell Report and his suspension played a major part in forming the Investigation Division of MLB. I for one am glad to see him gone. Too bad he was replaced with another player tainted with steroid use, but Im sure there is no way Cota is more arrogant than Jorgensen. So ill take Cota over Jorgensen

The arrogance of that guy was pure comic gold to us fans at a Durham Bulls day game against L-Ville a couple seasons back, Ryan had a thing for the bud girl (not a real bud girl, but the girl selling beer at the stand down the left field line by the bullpen) and hit on her the ENTIRE game, letting all fans in those sections know about it as he turned and stared at her the whole game, adn even got some kid to keep tkaing her baseablls with notes he had written on them for her, telling her he loved her, to come visit him, etc, it was funny. The fans ended up having a game with him over it, one older guy calling him out and Ryan asked why he was "c@&*blocking him" outloud for everyone to hear, which got a laugh.

akron3344
02-04-2009, 11:01 AM
cota has a chance to be the next steve christmas or even dave van gorder, you think?

xavr1
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I thought Walt promised "fringe" players, not Humbertos.

Agreed. Cota doesnt even merit a "fringe" designation. I dont see him breaking through.

TDHND
02-04-2009, 10:12 PM
We need all the catcher depth we can get.

bounty37h
02-05-2009, 12:45 PM
If you a'int cheatin', you a'int tryin'.

S.E.C. man?

berryluther
02-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Thank God. I am so glad we didnt abandon the 3 catcher philosophy. (sarcasm)

I like saying his name though. HUMBERTO....