PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Wants 1 year 5-6 Mill

NatiRedGals
02-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Griffey Wants $5-6MM?
By Tim Dierkes [February 4, 2009 at 10:08am CST]

According to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, free agent outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. is "believed to be looking for a one-year deal in the $5 million to $6 million base salary range, would pay for himself with the boost in attendance he would provide." I'm skeptical on both fronts - that Griffey expects that kind of base salary and that he'd drive that much extra revenue.

Griffey seems to be the Mariners' backup plan, as they're currently trying to move money to pay for Bobby Abreu or perhaps Garret Anderson (the Twins have "lost their appetite" for Jarrod Washburn trade, says Joe Christensen). Trading for an outfielder is another viable option for Seattle, and if it's for an affordable player they might not have to unload salary. Griffey's agent Brian Goldberg admitted that his client is the fallback option for several teams.

Griffey is open to playing anywhere, but his friend Harold Reynolds said, "I know he'd love to be back [in Seattle]." Reynolds added: "I think they need to do it. He's such an icon to the game of baseball. He's going to play one more year, maybe two at the most. He needs to retire as a Mariner. He's still got something left. I think he'd be fantastic for that team."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/griffey-wants-5.html

Sadly i have to say I don't think he will get that much but he one who deserves it just for who he is

xavr1
02-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd love to see Griff make that in Seattle but it seems wildly unlikely. Maybe he will settle for less like the rest of the humbled FA OFs.

ChatterRed
02-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't see it. Maybe in incentives, but not base salary.

I would like to see him back with the Mariners. I'd also like to see him go out on top with a good season or two so people don't remember him as some hobbled ballplayer.

redsfandan
02-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't see it. Maybe in incentives, but not base salary.

I would like to see him back with the Mariners. I'd also like to see him go out on top with a good season or two, with a shot at a ring, so people don't remember him as some hobbled ballplayer.

Well that was easy to fix. :D :thumbup:

Orenda
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
The Mariners are known to give out bad contracts but I think Jocketty already plucked their former GM Bill Bavasi to work for the Reds, so who knows. 5 million wouldn't be bad if it was incentive laden with an option for the next season provided Griffey produces at a set standard.

TDHND
02-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd like to see him play one more year and finish in Seattle.Is my all-time favorite player.

BPhillips4
02-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Seems very unlikely considering the current market. It seems to be humbling a lot of ballplayers and The Kid isn't worth what he used to be. I would like to see him end up in Seattle as well though.

Jerome
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Considering David Weathers makes $3.3 million, I can see why Griff wants $5-6 million.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Ghosts of 1990
02-06-2009, 03:47 PM
He's not going to get that.

And he shouldn't get it for "being who he is". Come on? Teams are trying to win ballgames. This is a highly competitive league. You can't afford to spend dollars or fil roster spots based on any type of emotional commitment.

Kingspoint
02-06-2009, 07:45 PM
:lol:

Casey
02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
He may get 2-3 million, but that would be it, and that's probably what he deserves. I too would really like to see him finish his career in Seattle.

Krawhitham
02-06-2009, 09:22 PM
He's not going to get that.

And he shouldn't get it for "being who he is". Come on? Teams are trying to win ballgames. This is a highly competitive league. You can't afford to spend dollars or fil roster spots based on any type of emotional commitment.

Not all teams :(

berryluther
02-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I would like to see him sign with Rays so I can see him this spring and throughout the year

redsfandan
02-07-2009, 09:33 AM
He may get 2-3 million, but that would be it, and that's probably what he deserves. I too would really like to see him finish his career in Seattle.

I'd expect that for a base with a few million more possible in incentives.

cincyredsone
02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
i think it might be hard to find a team that would pay griffey 5-6 million in base salary. as for going back to seattle? who knows? but, i think he would be a good fit with tampa bay. spot start every now and, then but, mostly be the dh. he would have a better shot at making the playoffs with tampa than he would playing for seattle. i also, believe his presence in tampa's clubhouse would be a great infuence on thier young players.

redsfanmia
02-07-2009, 05:26 PM
i also, believe his presence in tampa's clubhouse would be a great infuence on thier young players.

Do you think he was a great influence on the Reds young players over the years? I think Griffey and Dunn being gone is the best thing to happen to the young players.

Jack Burton
02-14-2009, 03:34 PM
Do you think he was a great influence on the Reds young players over the years? I think Griffey and Dunn being gone is the best thing to happen to the young players.

Agreed.
Not sure why a team would want to waste money on Griffey, he brings nothing to the table at this point.

Slyder
02-14-2009, 04:50 PM

The best thing to happen to our young guys is we actually have a semi competant pitching staff, unfortunately we didnt upgrade enough on offense or defense to where its going to matter a whole lot.

redsfandan
02-14-2009, 05:06 PM
looks like someone wants to steal Jr from Seattle

Braves Interested In Griffey
By Alex Walsh [February 14 at 2:33pm CST]
Jerry Crasnick at ESPN.com reports that the Atlanta Braves are looking to acquire Ken Griffey, Jr.. According to Crasnick's sources, "Griffey is Atlanta's prime target."

Crasnick says there is mutual interest between the two parties. Griffey lives in Orlando, where the Braves' spring training facilities are located. Also, Griffey may benefit from the ability to split time with Matt Diaz in left field.

If the Braves miss on Griffey, their next likely target would be Garrett Anderson.

JoshFogg
02-14-2009, 06:06 PM
ATL may grab him

Jack Burton
02-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Platoon w/ Matt Diaz in LF, that tells you about all you need to know. Hang 'em up Griff.

JoshFogg
02-14-2009, 08:02 PM
I hope he gets released by June.

akron3344
02-14-2009, 08:43 PM
I wish the reds never traded for him

redsfanmia
02-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Why the hate for JR? I know he was a disappointment for the Reds but damn.

NarrowStairs
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't think his talent is worth 5-6MM anymore, if its what it was last year, but his name alone would fund the 5-6MM in ticket sales and royalties.

Jack Burton
02-15-2009, 08:59 PM
It takes a real star to walk to first watching their shot when their team is down 8 runs. Good luck with your new squad.

xavr1
02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Neither Atlanta nor Seattle are willing to pay him 5-6 mil. I think I read Seattle is in the ballpark of 1.5 and Atlanta is around 2.5.

JoshFogg
02-16-2009, 02:40 PM
hell, at this price, the reds should sign the guy. I mean, david weathers will make more than Jr this year.

Griffey012
02-16-2009, 02:44 PM
If you look at his line against righties last year he will be a fine part of a platoon for the braves with Diaz. His line against rhp was .272/.379/.462 for an .841 ops.

And there is the chance that his knee returns to be healthy enough to put up a line similar to 07, which would be a bargain at these prices.

JoshFogg
02-16-2009, 02:45 PM
He wont. We are going off of 8 years of hard data to support that.

highheat11
02-16-2009, 03:31 PM
I just saw at the very end of Outside the Lines that Griff is supposed to choose between Seattle and Atlanta by early tomorrow. They also said both were offering about $2 mil.

JoshFogg
02-16-2009, 03:39 PM
The reds should swoop in and give him 20 mill.