PDA

View Full Version : Angels agree with Abreu

Ohioballplayer
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
The Angels and free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu have struck a one-year agreement, according to a report by SI.com.
The deal is worth $5 million plus incentives, the Web site reported.

Efforts to reach Angels general manager Tony Reagins for comment have been unsuccessful.

The club and the player found each other after both entered the offseason with higher goals.

While the Angels focused on re-signing first baseman Mark Teixeira, Abreu embarked on his free agency seeking a three-year deal for about $50 million.

Teixeira wound up signing with the New York Yankees, with whom Abreu had earned $16 million last season.

Abreu turns 35 in March. His left-handed bat breaks up the Angels' all-righty outfield crew, including Torii Hunter, Vladimir Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Gary Matthews Jr.

Abreu batted .296 in 2008 while driving in 100-plus runs for a sixth straight season. A lifetime .300 hitter, he shares with only Bobby Bonds and new Hall of Famer Rickey Henderson the distinction of being the only players in history with a .400 career on-base percentage, 300 steals and 200 homers.

Abreu's signing likely ends any chance of Garret Anderson returning to the Angels. Anderson, the club's most productive offensive player, is also a free agent, with the Mariners among the clubs having expressed interest.

"I'm just waiting to see where this goes," Anderson said. "I'm being patient, and I'm optimistic something will get done."

Compared to Adam Dunn, also a left-handed-hitting outfielder, the Angels see Abreu as a better all-around fit with his ability to play left and right field and his history as a good baserunner.

Abreu has stolen 22 or more bases in each of the past 10 seasons, coming to the Yankees in 2006 after 8 1/2 seasons with the Phillies. He began his career with the Astros in 1996.

A Venezuela native, Abreu has produced at least 100 RBIs across seven of the past eight seasons, and he has delivered 20 or more homers in eight of the past 10 seasons. He's extremely durable, having appeared in at least 151 games for 10 consecutive seasons.

Jerome
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
One of my favorite songs...
"Wouldn't it be Nice," by the Beach Boys.

We never would have forked over $5 mil for Abreu, even though he is completely worth the money. Oh well. I want to see Dickerson evolve...maybe.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

redsfandan
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Abreu gets a deal with a base that's less than a 1/3 of what he started the offseason looking for.
Wow nice for Anaheim. I bet Dunn isn't happy though. Another good veteran bat that will be paid ALOT less than last year.

TheNext44
02-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I think that there is no way he would sign with the Reds. He specifically said he like the Angels because they were contenders. He clearly did not care about the money, but wanted to go somewhere where he could prove himself and get a bigger contract next year. Cincinnati is the the place for that.

DTCromer
02-11-2009, 03:47 PM
One of my favorite songs...
"Wouldn't it be Nice," by the Beach Boys.

We never would have forked over $5 mil for Abreu, even though he is completely worth the money. Oh well. I want to see Dickerson evolve...maybe.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

I agree. Bobby was the difference between us making the playoffs and winning 73 games.

RedLakerFan24
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
WOW, this makes me mad knowing we gave a two year deal to Taveras

ChatterRed
02-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I really gotta question Walt and Bob on this one. I'd have paid Abreu $6 or $7 mill.

Ridiculous.

Ohioballplayer
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
While it would have been nice to see Abreu in GASP, I am siding with Walt and Bob on this one, why?? just for one year success. Why not let the young guys play?
Why spend 6-7 mill extra when Votto, BP, EE, and Bruce could potentially get better this year. They have a proven track record, and success while it doesn't come cheap also doesn't come too quickly. Don't rush it. Let it simmer and soon it will be the best home cooked product around.

Focker OUT!!

RedLakerFan24
02-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Lets just sign Manny Ramirez, thats the only way we are going to win

ChatterRed
02-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Lets just sign Manny Ramirez, thats the only way we are going to win

I agree. :thumbup:

NeilHamburger
02-13-2009, 07:01 PM
Daugherty just reported that the Reds were the other team that almost got Bobby. He said his agent called the reds on friday and asked for 8 million, Reds turned him down. His agent called back on Saturday, and offered 6 million. Reds checked with management, and got the okay, accepted the deal and were willing to move some money around to get him in. But, in the mean time the Angels came in, and offered the 5 million plus incentives, Bobby thought they had a better chance to win, and the money would be the same if he reached the easy incentives so he took that deal.

Reportedly the reds were within minutes of getting him