PDA

View Full Version : What about Vernon Wells?

RedLakerFan24
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
he could help us with defense and offense, i could see him hitting avg 300 hr25 rbi 100 and help us

Human Blender
02-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Is he available?

JoshFogg
02-16-2009, 07:38 PM
he could help us with defense and offense, i could see him hitting avg 300 hr25 rbi 100 and help us

in 2006 he signed a 7 year 126 mill dollar contract with a no trade clause. How is he relevevant? Hey, Jose Reyes could really help the reds too....BUT

Nasty_Boy
02-16-2009, 07:41 PM
He has a big contract, he seems to be on the decline, and I think we would have to give up too much to get him. He did bounce back a little last season, but he missed about 55 games. He's had some great years and then fell flat on his face. I'd rather wait to see what Stubbs, Alonso, Frazier, and Soto have to offer.

Ghosts of 1990
02-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd love to have him but they'd want Cueto or Volquez or Alonso

RedLakerFan24
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
i read somewhere that they were trying to unload his big contract so i dont think we would have to give up alot

ChatterRed
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I'd love to have him but they'd want Cueto or Volquez or Alonso

Then I'll pass.

We aren't winning the World Series next year anyway.

We had 4 rookies pretty much on the field last year in Volquez, Cueto, Bruce, and Votto (even if any of them played in the majors before, it was their first significant time).

We had to get rid of Dunn and Griffey.

Encarnacion and Phillips should be coming into their prime. Let's see if they reach their potential or fall flat on their faces first before making major changes.

We had question marks at SS, C, and CF last year. Let's see if we can find the answers this year.

We had question mark at our 5th starter position that started to get some answers last September with Ramirez and the acquisition of Owings. Let's see how that pans out.

This team is being built for 2010. Just accept that reality and enjoy the ride.

RedLakerFan24
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Is he available?

This is an interesting read from the NY Post about where the Jays find themselves this year.

"But, to me, the most interesting potential seller is Toronto. First, understand the Blue Jays' plight: The majors' three best teams could be in their division (Yankees, Red Sox, Rays). Canada's economy has been hit at least as hard as the United States'. They already have cut $20 million in payroll, added no significant players, lost A.J. Burnett and face life without two injured rotation members (Shaun Marcum and Dustin McGowan) for at least part of the season.

Toronto has won 87, 83 and 86 games the last three seasons, making it the equivalent of a 45-win NBA team: Too good to draft high, but not good enough to be a title contender. It is a destructive middle road, with no hope soon of overtaking the Yanks/Red Sox/Rays. So the Jays might have to break down to rise anew. They certainly have pieces to fit the pseudo-free agency.

Two sources say Toronto tried to trade Vernon Wells (six years at $100 million) during the offseason. Scott Rolen (two years, $22 million) and Lyle Overbay (two years, $14 million) also could be dump candidates. But B.J. Ryan (two years, $20 million) and, especially, Halladay could help fetch 5-6 prospects to accelerate a Blue Jay reloading.

"Ownership wants no part of trading Roy at this time," Ricciardi said. "He's the face of the organization. Right now we are not thinking about going down that road. But that is what we feel in February. Who knows how you feel in June?"

The key is how Halladay feels (he told the Toronto Star he does not want to "entertain" trade discussions once the season begins). He is owed $30 million for two years. Ricciardi said the Jays may approach the right-hander about an extension in spring. But Halladay has spent his career playoff-less in Toronto. He turns 32 in May. He arguably is the majors' best pitcher - albeit rather anonymously. Does he want a better chance at fortune, fame and the postseason? That is best achieved outside of Canada, which means he leaves as a free agent in two years. If so, Toronto's best move is to maximize his value by trading him this season with still another full year left on his deal as opposed to in the walk year like Sabathia was dealt.

Unlike even Oswalt or Peavy, Halladay has proven he can thrive in the AL East and is probably the game's No. 1 workhorse. Even in a bad economy, Toronto would have multiple bidders offering the best of their farm systems.

"We have thought about it, this has not escaped us [that Halladay could leave as a free agent, and trading him might be best for the long-term health of the organization]," Ricciardi said. "In June, we may have to say. 'Is this the way we want to go?' It will be up to ownership, and ownership has a strong attachment to Doc."

Ghosts of 1990
02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Then I'll pass.

We aren't winning the World Series next year anyway.

We had 4 rookies pretty much on the field last year in Volquez, Cueto, Bruce, and Votto (even if any of them played in the majors before, it was their first significant time).

We had to get rid of Dunn and Griffey.

Encarnacion and Phillips should be coming into their prime. Let's see if they reach their potential or fall flat on their faces first before making major changes.

We had question marks at SS, C, and CF last year. Let's see if we can find the answers this year.

We had question mark at our 5th starter position that started to get some answers last September with Ramirez and the acquisition of Owings. Let's see how that pans out.

This team is being built for 2010. Just accept that reality and enjoy the ride.

Agreed. I'm not ready to mortgage the future which isn't far off for a guy who is getting old fast in Wells. He's logged a lot of innings on that Toronto turf. He's about to drop off in a hurry in my opinion. While I like him at the present, if we can keep together this nucleus of Bruce, Votto, Cueto, Volquez, Alonso, Phillips, EdE (yes even EdE) and keep building with prospects you will see a Tampa Bay of the midwest here soon!

Ohioballplayer
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM

Someone has been reading online articles, they were also talking about Halladay, BJ Ryan, so on. It was an assumption of a reporter, probably as a feeler for JP Ricciardi. I would tell them to take a jump!

ChatterRed
02-16-2009, 08:18 PM
I've slightly changed my mind. But only if it's a Toronto salary dump and we wouldn't have to give up any of our key players or key future players.

After looking at his stats: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6327/career;_ylt=AthvMndhFWYw_QZqTFkoQV2FCLcF

....and looking at the Reds roster with hardly any outfielder options: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cin

......we need to do something for our outfield. Bruce, Taveras, and Dickerson are not enough options. We need a solid major leaguer out there in LF.

I'd take him for the right price.

BEETTLEBUG
02-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Yes I would like to have him also for the right price.

ChatterRed
02-16-2009, 10:01 PM
This is an interesting read from the NY Post about where the Jays find themselves this year.

"But, to me, the most interesting potential seller is Toronto. First, understand the Blue Jays' plight: The majors' three best teams could be in their division (Yankees, Red Sox, Rays). Canada's economy has been hit at least as hard as the United States'. They already have cut $20 million in payroll, added no significant players, lost A.J. Burnett and face life without two injured rotation members (Shaun Marcum and Dustin McGowan) for at least part of the season.

Toronto has won 87, 83 and 86 games the last three seasons, making it the equivalent of a 45-win NBA team: Too good to draft high, but not good enough to be a title contender. It is a destructive middle road, with no hope soon of overtaking the Yanks/Red Sox/Rays. So the Jays might have to break down to rise anew. They certainly have pieces to fit the pseudo-free agency.

Two sources say Toronto tried to trade Vernon Wells (six years at $100 million) during the offseason. Scott Rolen (two years, $22 million) and Lyle Overbay (two years, $14 million) also could be dump candidates. But B.J. Ryan (two years, $20 million) and, especially, Halladay could help fetch 5-6 prospects to accelerate a Blue Jay reloading.

"Ownership wants no part of trading Roy at this time," Ricciardi said. "He's the face of the organization. Right now we are not thinking about going down that road. But that is what we feel in February. Who knows how you feel in June?"

The key is how Halladay feels (he told the Toronto Star he does not want to "entertain" trade discussions once the season begins). He is owed $30 million for two years. Ricciardi said the Jays may approach the right-hander about an extension in spring. But Halladay has spent his career playoff-less in Toronto. He turns 32 in May. He arguably is the majors' best pitcher - albeit rather anonymously. Does he want a better chance at fortune, fame and the postseason? That is best achieved outside of Canada, which means he leaves as a free agent in two years. If so, Toronto's best move is to maximize his value by trading him this season with still another full year left on his deal as opposed to in the walk year like Sabathia was dealt.

Unlike even Oswalt or Peavy, Halladay has proven he can thrive in the AL East and is probably the game's No. 1 workhorse. Even in a bad economy, Toronto would have multiple bidders offering the best of their farm systems.

"We have thought about it, this has not escaped us [that Halladay could leave as a free agent, and trading him might be best for the long-term health of the organization]," Ricciardi said. "In June, we may have to say. 'Is this the way we want to go?' It will be up to ownership, and ownership has a strong attachment to Doc."

Toronto is really thinking that some team will give up the farm for these guys. I don't see that happening. It seems more like the tide has turned and teams are holding onto their prospects. If you're going to unload salary, it's going to be with little return anymore.

Stephenk29
02-16-2009, 11:17 PM
Ill take anyone of his caliber for the right price. He may have a steep one though. I agree he's on the decline, but he would still be our best outfielder if we get him (at the moment).

redsfandan
02-17-2009, 12:10 AM
He would obviously be an upgrade since it would mean less abs for WT. But I wouldn't want a player that's already on the decline and has a contract for 6 more years and $100 million.

EdSqaubensee
02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
What about Matt Holliday? He would help. Oh wait. You could play these baby games all day long. Hey, I bet Lidge and Rollins would be nice to have too.....maybe Soriano?

RedLakerFan24
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
What about Matt Holliday? He would help. Oh wait. You could play these baby games all day long. Hey, I bet Lidge and Rollins would be nice to have too.....maybe Soriano?

im saying this because the Blue Jays are making him available because they want to cut payroll and we wouldnt have to give up too much talent because we would have to pay his salary, those other guys arent made avalable wo whats your point :eek:

ChatterRed
02-18-2009, 01:03 AM
Recently, I heard that the Blue Jays really want to help the Reds win the pennant and are willing to eat Wells salary and trade him to the Reds for $1.

BLEEDS
02-18-2009, 12:32 PM
NO chance in Hades.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

NeilHamburger
02-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Reds were going to have to be creative to get the 5 million to sign Abreu. Probably trading some guys just for money, or moving money out of various places. How in hell could they afford this guy?