PDA

View Full Version : Reds ink Jay Bruce to one year deal

wojo1025
02-22-2009, 01:58 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/02/reds-jay-bruce.html

CBSSports.com reports that the Reds have agreed to a one-year deal with outfielder Jay Bruce. Reliever Jared Burton and nine other players were signed to one-year deals as well. The team announced the deals on Saturday.

Fifteen players remain to be signed by the Reds.

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds have agreed to one-year deals with outfielder Jay Bruce, reliever Jared Burton and nine other players.

The team announced the deals on Saturday.

The Reds also agreed to one-year contracts with right-handers Carlos Fisher, Sam LeCure, Robert Manuel and Josh Roenicke; left-handers Daniel Ray Herrera and Matt Maloney; infielder Adam Rosales, third baseman Juan Francisco and catcher Craig Tatum.

will5979
02-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Alright! A one year deal to our future franchise player? This front office of this once proud organization doesn't know its butt from a hole in the ground.

reds1869
02-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Alright! A one year deal to our future franchise player? WTF? This front office of this once proud organization doesn't know its butt from a hole in the ground.

He is always going to be on a one year deal until he is arbitration eligible. This isn't even really news; his choices were one year with the Reds or independent ball.

TheBigLebowski
02-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Probably should have let that guy walk. He's a stiff.

schmidty622
02-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Alright! A one year deal to our future franchise player? WTF? This front office of this once proud organization doesn't know its butt from a hole in the ground.

:bash:

thatcoolguy_22
02-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Alright! A one year deal to our future franchise player? This front office of this once proud organization doesn't know its butt from a hole in the ground.

year 1
league minimum
year 2
league minimum
year 3
league minimum (unless you are a super 2 player...another time ;) )
year 4
arbitration eligible
year 5
arbitration eligible
year 6
arbitration eligible
year 7-x
FA

Jay Bruce is entering his 2nd season. The only way it would work for the Reds to even offer a LTC would be if it bought out all of his arbitration years and a year or so of FA (While keeping the mean cost below what would be expected over the course of the contract if JB went through the minimum and ARB phases). Doing that would mean a 6 or 7 year contract is necessary to make it worthwhile. Otherwise you just pay his 400k for the next 2 seasons and continue to evaluate. Its the logical move.

will5979
02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
OK! Thanks for clearing all that up. Wasn't really sure what was going on...sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Come on fellas. It doesn't have to work this way. Don't kid yourselves. Do a little research and tell me about what the Rays (who are quickly becoming the blueprint for success for our type of organization) did with Longoria......

If Bruce plays well this year I will revolt if they don't begin discussing long term extension. Second rate organizations do things year by year with guys and winning organizations lock up their young talent and try to compete.

TheNext44
02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
Come on fellas. It doesn't have to work this way. Don't kid yourselves. Do a little research and tell me about what the Rays (who are quickly becoming the blueprint for success for our type of organization) did with Longoria......

If Bruce plays well this year I will revolt if they don't begin discussing long term extension. Second rate organizations do things year by year with guys and winning organizations lock up their young talent and try to compete.

Normally I would agree, especially with the makeup of Bruce. However, with the current state of the economy and the changing state of baseball contracts, it might be best to hold off on any long term deals until the market stabilizes.

What if Bruce signs a long term deal that pays him $10M in 2114, and most star hitters are only getting $7M in free agency then? No one really knows where the market will be in the next few years, so I think it might be more prudent to wait.

will5979
02-22-2009, 02:07 PM
What if Bruce signs a long term deal that pays him $10M in 2114, and most star hitters are only getting $7M in free agency then? No one really knows where the market will be in the next few years, so I think it might be more prudent to wait.

I knew Bruce was supposed to be the future of our organization but for the next 105 years? Damn he must be on some serious HGH!

schmidty622
02-22-2009, 02:37 PM

I disagree. When he gets closer to arb - get him on a long term deal if he shows that he's worth it. He hasn't proven enough to earn a big payday as a pro.

TheNext44
02-22-2009, 02:53 PM
I knew Bruce was supposed to be the future of our organization but for the next 105 years? Damn he must be on some serious HGH!

He is Bruce Almighty.

thanks for the catch.

Orodle
02-22-2009, 03:45 PM

do a little research yourself and you'll see the amount of these guys that dont pan out. Not saying that will be the case for Bruce but throwing a ton of money at some young guy before he really starts producing at the MLB level is pretty dangerous.

eichstadtreds
02-22-2009, 04:18 PM

I love how everyone says the Rays are a good blue print. When you are the worst team in baseball for ten years and have high draft picks you are bound to eventually have a good year. We will see how the rays " philosphy" works when the salaries of their young players rise. Although I do like what they did with Longoria.

reds1869
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
I love how everyone says the Rays are a good blue print. When you are the worst team in baseball for ten years and have high draft picks you are bound to eventually have a good year. We will see how the rays " philosphy" works when the salaries of their young players rise. Although I do like what they did with Longoria.

They need to seal up Iwamura and their young pitchers if the chance arises, too. I think their philsophy wil work very well. Don't kid yourself--last year was not a fluke and they have a good (but not great) farm system. They could very well be winning a whole lot of ball games the next five years.

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I disagree. When he gets closer to arb - get him on a long term deal if he shows that he's worth it. He hasn't proven enough to earn a big payday as a pro.

If you wait and he "proves he's worth it" then you risk losing him altogether. Trust me, if he has that monstrous season your talking about he will be able to hold us hostage if he chooses to. Same goes for any young player. They can price themselves out of our range.

Why do you think that the Indians and the Rays didn't wait to get to arb for Sizemore and Longoria? They knew that if they didn't they'd risk losing them altogether because they were sure fire stars.

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM

It wasn't just longoria, friend.

They did the same with Scott Kazmir, BJ Upton and they're talking about doing it with David Price now. How much ML Service time has he had.

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2009, 05:06 PM
They need to seal up Iwamura and their young pitchers if the chance arises, too. I think their philsophy wil work very well. Don't kid yourself--last year was not a fluke and they have a good (but not great) farm system. They could very well be winning a whole lot of ball games the next five years.

I agree with you..... I was talking to the Rockies assistant GM at a function and he told me that the Rays are going to be just like those oakland A's teams from the late 90s early 2000s only they have an offense and not just a pitching staff.

eichstadtreds
02-22-2009, 05:10 PM
It wasn't just longoria, friend.

They did the same with Scott Kazmir, BJ Upton and they're talking about doing it with David Price now. How much ML Service time has he had.

How did they get all these good players? Losing The philosphy of signing players through their arbitration years is a good philosphy, but the only reason they have that much talent is because of losing.

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2009, 05:46 PM
How did they get all these good players? Losing The philosphy of signing players through their arbitration years is a good philosphy, but the only reason they have that much talent is because of losing.

I believe a lot of them were amateur (sp) draft guys.

We've done a fair share of losing and Bruce was one of those high picks yielded.

It's time to take the steps to build a foundation.

eichstadtreds
02-22-2009, 05:53 PM
I believe a lot of them were amateur (sp) draft guys.

We've done a fair share of losing and Bruce was one of those high picks yielded.

It's time to take the steps to build a foundation.

Losing is not a foundation. The Rays are model to use if you wanna watch lousy baseball for the next ten years then have one good year. The Rays are overhyped. If they win 90 games I would be shocked. One good year is not a foundation or philosphy. It happens ala the Rockies.

schmidty622
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
If you wait and he "proves he's worth it" then you risk losing him altogether. Trust me, if he has that monstrous season your talking about he will be able to hold us hostage if he chooses to. Same goes for any young player. They can price themselves out of our range.

Why do you think that the Indians and the Rays didn't wait to get to arb for Sizemore and Longoria? They knew that if they didn't they'd risk losing them altogether because they were sure fire stars.

Or you risk overpaying for him.

JayBruce
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
You'll know if he's gonna be a keeper a year or two before arb anyway. Might as well wait until he shows something before you lock up too much money in him.

dcruz
02-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm confused... New to being a Reds fan and an MLB fan in general lol. Anyway, is his deal due to arbitration? Thanks

redsfandan
02-23-2009, 07:15 AM
I'm confused... New to being a Reds fan and an MLB fan in general lol. Anyway, is his deal due to arbitration? Thanks

The one year contract is normal for players, like Bruce, that haven't been in the majors that long. Arbitration isn't an option for Bruce for a couple more years.

Volquez, on the other hand, will be up for arbitration after this season so I expect that, if he has at least a pretty good '09 season, he'll likely be the first player to receive a long term contract.

Orodle
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
I also agree that using the Rays' "gameplan" hasnt really been proven yet either. They were in the dumps forever up until last year and to get back to that level again this year some players are gunna have to put up huge numbers again. The big question is still their bullpen. Yes they did great during the last years regular season but they dont have the kinda arms that are automatic.

Anyways throwing money at young guys is highly dangerous when its a fact that more of them fail and dont pan out than the ones that succeede.

Orenda
02-23-2009, 11:58 AM
Losing is not a foundation. The Rays are model to use if you wanna watch lousy baseball for the next ten years then have one good year. The Rays are overhyped. If they win 90 games I would be shocked. One good year is not a foundation or philosphy. It happens ala the Rockies.

Obviously they benefited from picking at the top of drafts for a decade but I wouldn't disregard the team they've been able to put together simply because of that. Take Kansas City and Pittsburgh for example, they have been bad for a long time, but haven't been close to putting together a contender while playing in lesser divisions than the AL East. The Rays decided that they were going to go the player development route and after a decade of losing it worked for them. The Rays are an example of the system working like it is supposed to.

Also I give them credit for sticking to the their guns and remaining focused on their goal. Anybody remember when Lou Pinella left and he was mad that the ownership never spent money on players? Well a few years later the Rays beat Lou to the World Series. The rays could certainly slide this season but that could be attributed to the improvement of the Red Sox and the Yankees more than anything else