PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solved: "Go To First New Post" Button Not Working?

macro
02-27-2009, 01:45 PM
When I click on the "Go To First New Post" arrow (it's the red down-arrow that precedes each thread title in a forum), it's taking me directly to the last post in the thread, thus skipping over posts I have not read.

Anyone else experiencing this?

remdog
02-27-2009, 03:07 PM
No. Seems to work fine for me right now.

Rem

camisadelgolf
02-27-2009, 03:16 PM
No. Seems to work fine for me right now.

Rem

Boss-Hog
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
It's working OK for me, too.

Razor Shines
02-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I've had the same problem as Macro for about a month, but it's been erratic for me, very random. I've been messing with my browsers and logging in my phone a lot in that time span, I figured that had something to do with it.

macro
03-04-2009, 10:58 PM
It's still doing it every time here at home, and I'm pretty sure it's still doing it on my PC at work, too. Strange.

I did a vbulletin search but couldn't come up with anything.

macro
03-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Okay, I was wrong. It's working fine at my office. It has to be something in my home pc settings. It had worked fine until a few days ago, however. I'm wondering if this is a cookie issue. I recall tinkering with cookies a few days ago, but didn't think I changed anything. I'll have to check when I get home.

Thing is, I would either have cookies enabled or I wouldn't, and other functions of this board seem to indicate that cookies are being enabled.

Boss-Hog
03-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Okay, I was wrong. It's working fine at my office. It has to be something in my home pc settings. It had worked fine until a few days ago, however. I'm wondering if this is a cookie issue. I recall tinkering with cookies a few days ago, but didn't think I changed anything. I'll have to check when I get home.

Thing is, I would either have cookies enabled or I wouldn't, and other functions of this board seem to indicate that cookies are being enabled.
Try this:

You may clear all your cookies by clicking here (http://www.redszone.com/forums/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1236282009-7d62cedce348a7cee8832667918e90e76feb6697). If you return to the main index page via the link provided and you are still logged in, you may have to remove your cookies manually.

In Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP:

1. Click the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Internet Options" from the menu that appears.
3. Click "Delete Cookies" on the dialog box that appears. It will be in the center area of the "General" tab.

In Mozilla Firefox:

1. Click the "Tools" menu.
2. Select "Options" from the menu that appears.
3. From the dialog box, select "Privacy" on the left.
4. Find "Cookies" on the main pane, and click the "Clear" button adjacent to it.

Your cookies should now be removed. You may want to restart the computer and revisit the forums to be sure.

macro
03-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Clearing the RedsZone cookies fixed it. :thumbup:

macro
04-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Sorry to harp on this again, but it's doing the same thing again, both at home and at work. So there's more here than meets the eye, I guess.

camisadelgolf
04-22-2009, 03:31 PM
It happened to me a few times the other day, but it's fixed itself since then.

Boss-Hog
04-22-2009, 06:12 PM
Sorry to harp on this again, but it's doing the same thing again, both at home and at work. So there's more here than meets the eye, I guess.
Very strange...I haven't had (or noticed) any problems with it.

ABEsolutely
04-23-2009, 09:22 AM
You're not using Google Chrome are you? The go-to-first-new-post button doesn't work right for me, and I use Chrome. If I just left-click, it sometimes goes to the first unread, but if I middle-click it takes me to the end of the thread (not the last post, but the very bottom of the page).

macro
04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Nope, I'm using Firefox 2 at both locations.

nate
04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Nope, I'm using Firefox 2 at both locations.

Could it be that it's unable to set/read cookies?

Browsers like cookies!

macro
04-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Okay, I think I have solved this once and for all. I'm not sure if I'm smart for figuring out what was wrong or dumb for doing what I was doing to cause the problem. :laugh:

I recently developed a practice of opening each forum (ORG, Sun Deck, Tavern, etc.) in its own tab, leaving the Main forum page open in the original tab. Then I would click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the Main forum page and close that tab before I ever started reading the individual forums. My thinking was that the forum software would apply whatever cookie settings I had at the time the individual forums were opened in their own tab.

Apparently, however, it doesn't work that way. Instead, the forum software checks the cookie settings at the moment of the thread click, not at the time the tab was opened. Therefore, once I clicked "Mark Forums Read" in the original tabbed window. my cookies were set to that, and all successive clicks took me to the end of the thread, even if those clicks were occurring in other tabs.

I hope that makes sense to anyone who cares. :)

Boss-Hog
04-24-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay, I think I have solved this once and for all. I'm not sure if I'm smart for figuring out what was wrong or dumb for doing what I was doing to cause the problem. :laugh:

I recently developed a practice of opening each forum (ORG, Sun Deck, Tavern, etc.) in its own tab, leaving the Main forum page open in the original tab. Then I would click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the Main forum page and close that tab before I ever started reading the individual forums. My thinking was that the forum software would apply whatever cookie settings I had at the time the individual forums were opened in their own tab.

Apparently, however, it doesn't work that way. Instead, the forum software checks the cookie settings at the moment of the thread click, not at the time the tab was opened. Therefore, once I clicked "Mark Forums Read" in the original tabbed window. my cookies were set to that, and all successive clicks took me to the end of the thread, even if those clicks were occurring in other tabs.

I hope that makes sense to anyone who cares. :)
Your theory is correct and that accounts for why it's functioning that way. :) The forum/thread marking logic is set to work on the fly, i.e. each time a new page is accessed.

camisadelgolf
04-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice. Good work, macro.