PDA

View Full Version : Alonso sent down

Eric_the_Red
03-10-2009, 03:54 PM
The Reds have assigned Yonder Alonso to AA Carolina.

NeilHamburger
03-10-2009, 04:40 PM
With Votto back now that Canada is gone that sounds about right. He wouldn't get ab's now

Jerome
03-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Does he have any lateral quickness? He's our left fielder of the future.

http://www.jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Griffey012
03-10-2009, 05:51 PM
With Votto back now that Canada is gone that sounds about right. He wouldn't get ab's now

I wish he could still soak up ab's from Barker, and Jaque Jones somehow...also was this a group of moves that included Alonso, or just Alonso?

redhawk61
03-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I wish he could still soak up ab's from Barker, and Jaque Jones somehow...also was this a group of moves that included Alonso, or just Alonso?
From Fay:
First cuts: Yonder Alonso optioned to Double-A Charlotte. Humberto Cota, Chris Denove, Todd Frazier, Devin Mesoraco, Drew Stubbs, Chris Valaika re-assigned to minor league camp.

Ghosts of 1990
03-10-2009, 09:44 PM
sad to see while guys like Ward get to compile/waste at bats

Captain Hook
03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
sad to see while guys like Ward get to compile/waste at bats

I know what you mean but we do need some vets on this team.Ward will likely make the team but spend a lot of time on the bench.I don't think we want to do that to any of the young guys that we just sent down.

Edd Roush
03-10-2009, 09:50 PM
There goes the thought of Valaika winning the SS job out of camp.

TheBigLebowski
03-10-2009, 09:54 PM

That was never a real possibility.

JBChance
03-10-2009, 10:58 PM

Agon getting out on the field and getting some guys back from the WBC meant he and a lot of the young guys were going to be sent out.

While it was impossible for Valaika to win the SS job, it was great to see what he can do with the bat - even if it was against some young pitching.

We need some sort of light at the end of the tunnel at SS - Hairston Jr., Keppinger, Janish, and Gonzalez are a combined 9 for 56 with 7 strikeouts and only 3 walks :eek:

TheNext44
03-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Alonso and the rest will still see AB's in the big league camp. This purely procedural. Happens every year. The in house non-roster invitees get sent down to the minor league camp when it starts. The minor league camp starts this week, so it is best for them to train with their potential teammates.

They will get just as many AB's with the major league team as if they were in the big league camp, the only difference is that they have to use the minor league clubhouse.

JBChance
03-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Alonso and the rest will still see AB's in the big league camp. This purely procedural. Happens every year. The in house non-roster invitees get sent down to the minor league camp when it starts. The minor league camp starts this week, so it is best for them to train with their potential teammates.

They will get just as many AB's with the major league team as if they were in the big league camp, the only difference is that they have to use the minor league clubhouse.

Alonso was optioned to AA Carolina. Does that mean he'll still go to minor league camp now?

TheNext44
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Alonso was optioned to AA Carolina. Does that mean he'll still go to minor league camp now?

Yep, they all train at the same facility, so the AA and A camps are all in the same place. Again, the AA camp and A camp are separated by name only. The major league clubhouse and minor league clubhouse are literally next door to each other, and they all share the same cloverleaf practice field.

I think he had to go to a specific camp since he is on the 40 man roster, but that is just a guess.

Ghosts of 1990
03-11-2009, 01:54 AM
hope that we see Frazier and Alonso again in september.

It could be worse. A year ago right now almost Bruce got sent down. That really broke my heart.

Rusty the Red
03-11-2009, 09:02 AM
This is the way things must be. This team can't be made up of only early 20 somethings. We are going to be young anyway. Ward is more needed on the big club than Alonso, at least out of camp. Frazier is the future, not tomorrow, but in the next 1-2 years. I'm simply happy that we have young guys we are really looking forward to coming up.

Stephenk29
03-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I agree with Rusty, I don't see any of those guys making an impact right away. We might as well go ahead and send them down so we can maximize their reps.

bounty37h
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I am glad he will be in Carolina so I can see him a few times before he goes up, and hopefully get a few autographs as well. Wonder how quick they will fill out rest of Minor League rosters?

xavr1
03-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree. He wasnt gonna make the team this year, so he got his taste of big league ST and now we free up at bats for the guys who need to build chemistry for the longhaul. Hopefully Yonder hits em deep in AA and we figure out a way to get him and Votto in the same lineup in the future.

Edd Roush
03-11-2009, 02:47 PM
That was never a real possibility.

I never said it was. I had seen some posters in ORG pulling for this possibility due to the lack of any legitimate SSs on the major league level. I just hope Gonzalez can turn the clock back to the first half of the 2007 season or Keppinger can get back to hitting .300

TheNext44
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
What I love about this spring is that for the first time since the 80's, I feel like the youngsters with the big numbers on their back that get sent down early actually have a chance to contribute to the big club in a year or two.

It seemed that every spring there might be one or two young guys who might, just might make it as bench player or mop up man in the pen. But with Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Stubbs, Roenicke, and Fisher, I feel like we will be seeing a lot more of most of them.

Organizational depth is sooooooo important, especially for a mid market team.

Rusty the Red
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm ready for the regular season. The World Baseball Classic has really got me excited.

jmac
03-11-2009, 11:38 PM
What I love about this spring is that for the first time since the 80's, I feel like the youngsters with the big numbers on their back that get sent down early actually have a chance to contribute to the big club in a year or two.

It seemed that every spring there might be one or two young guys who might, just might make it as bench player or mop up man in the pen. But with Alonso, Frazier, Valaika, Stubbs, Roenicke, and Fisher, I feel like we will be seeing a lot more of most of them.

Organizational depth is sooooooo important, especially for a mid market team.

Agreed !!!!!!

kbin007
03-12-2009, 02:01 AM
I could see if the Reds pitching fullfils it's promise, ie: Volquez, Cueto, Bailey et all, this team turning into the National League equilvalent of the Tampa Rays. There is just so much good young talent here to think that they'll languish near the NL Central cellar.