Hernandez
Bruce
Taveras
Dickerson/Hairston

Bench
Hannigan
Dickerson/Hairston
Kepp
Gomes (I think the power and the intangibles make him hard to cut)
????

Under the scenario with Dickerson starting against right handed pitching, there are no left handed sticks on the bench. So that means Jones, Ward, and Nix have a leg up on Janish, Rosales and Hopper. I'm thinking it's going to be one of those 3, and probably Jones unless Nix greatly outperforms.

JBChance
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Who gets the last spot?

EE
AG
BP
Votto
Hernandez
Bruce
Taveras
Dickerson/Hairston

Bench
Hannigan
Dickerson/Hairston
Kepp
Gomes (I think the power and the intangibles make him hard to cut)
????

Under the scenario with Dickerson starting against right handed pitching, there are no left handed sticks on the bench. So that means Jones, Ward, and Nix have a leg up on Janish, Rosales and Hopper. I'm thinking it's going to be one of those 3, and probably Jones unless Nix greatly outperforms.

Starters and bench look on the money. I think the last spot is between Ward and Nix, unless Jones really turns it on - he's been horrible. Even though Nix is hitting better currently, I think Ward has the edge because of the 1B factor and the fact he has had success (albeit not last year) in the majors.

Red in Atl
03-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Here's my roster, and I am definitely excited about this team...

Taveras CF
BP 2nd
Votto 1st
EE 3rd
Bruce RF
Hernandez C
Dic/Gomes LF
AG SS

Hairston 2nd, ss, 3rd, LF, RF, CF
Ward 1st and top PH
Keppinger 2nd, ss, 3rd
Dic/Gomes LF, RF, CF
Hanigan C

Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey

BP: Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Masset, Owings (I love the pinchhit and stay in idea) Rhodes, Bray

Take us to the playoffs boys!

BSUFB
03-12-2009, 04:20 PM
I really hope Nix gets the spot, he has been playing fairy well this spring.

Lineup

1B Votto
2B Phillips
SS Gonzo
3B EE
LF Dickerson
CF Traveras
RF Bruce

Bench

Hairston
Hannigon
Kepp
Nix
Gomes

eastkyred
03-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't completely rule out McDonald, although I agree a LH is definately needed to fill that lost spot. I thought early on that Ward would be the man, but I think right now it is close between him and Nix.

Rusty the Red
03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Don't completely rule out McDonald, although I agree a LH is definately needed to fill that lost spot. I thought early on that Ward would be the man, but I think right now it is close between him and Nix.

I would love to see Nix get the last spot. Ward is too one dimensional - PH only. Nix can play real defense.

JBChance
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Here's my roster, and I am definitely excited about this team...

Taveras CF
BP 2nd
Votto 1st
EE 3rd
Bruce RF
Hernandez C
Dic/Gomes LF
AG SS

Hairston 2nd, ss, 3rd, LF, RF, CF
Ward 1st and top PH
Keppinger 2nd, ss, 3rd
Dic/Gomes LF, RF, CF
Hanigan C

Harang
Volquez
Arroyo
Cueto
Bailey

BP: Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Masset, Owings (I love the pinchhit and stay in idea) Rhodes, Bray

Take us to the playoffs boys!

On the money, except I'm not sure about Masset. Enter Roenicke or Herrera if he contnues to tank.

OGB
03-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Do you guys seriously think Lincoln is not going to make it, or did you just forget about him?

I wouldnt mind seeing the 7 man bullpen because having Owings on the team gives you an extra bat, but I think its

Cordero
Burton
Bray
Weathers
Rhodes
Lincoln
Owings (if Bailey is the 5th SP)
Masset (if Owings is the 5th SP)

I wouldnt mind seeing Hopper get the last spot on the bench, but it'll probably be Ward. Although Nix is playing really well, and he'd be a reclamation project in the mold of so many Jocketty has had success with before

Jerome
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM

If McDonald makes the team, I will accidentally hit my girlfriend out of shock.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Jerome
03-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Ward as the HR threat
Hopper as the small ball backup
Owings as the 5th spot chance (experience factor wins out)
Bailey gets AAA, gypsy tears and one million other scenarios referring to his impending call up.

http://www.jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

roby
03-12-2009, 06:53 PM
I go along with the consensus here and think the 25th man should be Laynce Nix. He has a lot of upside, something to prove, AND he bats lefty. He might just move up the ladder from the 25th spot and surprise some folks. I don't think there are any surprises left in Ward or Jones.

TheNext44
03-12-2009, 07:03 PM
It's early, but I like Ward for the last spot. The Reds need power off the bench, something they have lacked for years.

I also like the idea of having a professional pinch hitter on the bench, again something the Reds have lacked since Jacob Cruz. It is a really nice piece to have late in games.

Nix does have the advantage of being able to play all outfield positions, but that really is not much of a need with Hairston, Dickerson and even Keppinger.

Anyway, most likely both will be on the club as sometime this year, as will others. The opening day roster is nice to discuss, it never lasts.

flash
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't like the idea of losing Hopper, but with the absense of a left handed hitter I don't see how it can be avoided.

I would seriously consider Flores before Rhodes because he has had a much better Spring as has Herrera.

I think Barker really desrves a spot before Ward. I realize he doesn't have as good a resume, but his Spring has been much more impressive.

I realize that some players can fool you with false Springs, but you have to reward players appropriately.

Griffey012
03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I don't like the idea of losing Hopper, but with the absense of a left handed hitter I don't see how it can be avoided.

I would seriously consider Flores before Rhodes because he has had a much better Spring as has Herrera.

I think Barker really desrves a spot before Ward. I realize he doesn't have as good a resume, but his Spring has been much more impressive.

I realize that some players can fool you with false Springs, but you have to reward players appropriately.

We just signed Rhodes, and he has a great track record against lefties, no way Flores makes it over him.

Red in Atl
03-13-2009, 01:54 AM
On the money, except I'm not sure about Masset. Enter Roenicke or Herrera if he contnues to tank.

I'd love to see Herrera earn it, and trade Massett for some kids...

Red in Atl
03-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Do you guys seriously think Lincoln is not going to make it, or did you just forget about him?

I wouldnt mind seeing the 7 man bullpen because having Owings on the team gives you an extra bat, but I think its

Cordero
Burton
Bray
Weathers
Rhodes
Lincoln
Owings (if Bailey is the 5th SP)
Masset (if Owings is the 5th SP)

I wouldnt mind seeing Hopper get the last spot on the bench, but it'll probably be Ward. Although Nix is playing really well, and he'd be a reclamation project in the mold of so many Jocketty has had success with before

I did forget about Lincoln...I knew there was something wrong! He messes up everything, but he has to be there. I just can't see them doing 13 pitchers though. Who goes for Lincoln?

JBChance
03-13-2009, 02:23 AM
As long as Bailey or Owings are in the pen, Masset goes. There just won't be a spot for the younger guys until Bray get injured.

flash
03-13-2009, 08:52 AM
We just signed Rhodes, and he has a great track record against lefties, no way Flores makes it over him.

Flores career numbers against lefties are better than Rhodes. BA .215 vs. .221, OBP .282 vs. .289, Slg. .292 vs. .325

BEETTLEBUG
03-13-2009, 10:33 AM
That may be True about Flores numbers but Rhodes was signed to two year deal , they won't be getting rid of him too soon.

redsfandan
03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Flores career numbers against lefties are better than Rhodes. BA .215 vs. .221, OBP .282 vs. .289, Slg. .292 vs. .325

Plate appeaances by MLB lhb vs Flores: 71

Plate appeaances by MLB lhb vs Rhodes: 1370

We JUST signed Rhodes to a 2-year, $4 million contract. Barring an injury, if we kept Flores over Rhodes than we've essentially just thrown away $4m to keep a pitcher who may be just as good but could probably have been kept in AAA to help us later when someone is injured.

Ghosts of 1990
03-14-2009, 12:35 AM
Rhodes is automatic to be on the OD roster

fitz1
03-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Last spot goes to Gomes. He has shallacked the ball all spring, is hitting about .360 and has three home runs. I'd still rather have an outfield of Dickerson/Bruce/ and then either Hairston or Gomes. Tavares has a lot to prove to win over the Reds fans that this was a good move. Owings probably as 5th starter and Bailey remains as part of the bullpen. With his stats of the spring he has proved he's ready, both physically and now emotionally, to be here. Unfortunately, he won't get the 5th spot as Owings has been phenomenal all spring.

xavr1
03-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I hope you're right about Gomes getting the last spot. More than the others we took flyers on, Gomes has the best makeup and potential (plus hes younger). Of course, he's also killing the ball and making some great plays in the field. I can definitely see him starting more games in LF than anyone else on the team.

JBChance
03-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Gomes is already a lock, Imo.

Its between Nix and Ward for the last spot and I say Ward wins because of his experience and past success.

UPRedsFan
03-14-2009, 03:45 PM
I agree. It'll be Ward because of his experience pinch hitting and he'll be the left handed bat off the bench.

redsfandan
03-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Maybe if this was the last week but we still have 2 weeks left. Alot can still happen.